PDA

View Full Version : Since everyone is on the auto tranny subject..

dosh8er
09-14-2002, 08:16 AM
... I just wanted to point out that Honda ATF IS NOT, I repeat, IS NOT the same as Dexron III ATF (that ford/gm use).

After much study at my old job, and looking through some reference books, I found that they recommend not using it because it's physical properties (ability to lubricate, cool, etc.) are different.

So, those of you who ask what they should use, please, use Honda ATF .

Regular ATF (Dexron III) may work okay, but will not work as well as Honda ATF.

They also call it Dexron II ATF. (same thing as honda fluid, but I thought I might as well mention it.)

DanG86LX
09-14-2002, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by dosh8er
... but will not work as well as Honda ATF.

ATF-Z1 $$$ = 3x Dextron*
But when it comes to tranny, nothing looks too expensive..

offthahook
09-14-2002, 06:01 PM
You only get 3 qts. out on a gravity drain, so there's gonna be about 7 quarts of "whatever" in there anyway. The debate goes on. If the bottle says HONDA APPROVED on it, it should be otay from what the dealer service mgr. told me.

dosh8er
09-15-2002, 07:47 AM
oh, i forgot to mention something else.. if you can do it, find a shop that does a transmission flush. Where I last worked, we had a machine that would hook into the transmission line going from the transmission to the transmission cooler, and exchange the old fluid out as the vehicle was running (the machine had a pump to get it back to the tranny.) This gets the fluid through the valve body, where a 'filter' should be, the torque converter, the transmission cooler, and the rest of the transmission.

That got out 100% of the fluid (not incl. dropping the filter, which our auto transmissions dont have)

Like I said, if you can get that done, you're in business. I've personally seen it turn many people's tranny's around from yuck to good. AFAIK, my old boss told me very few places have these machines, a select number of quick lubes have them, and VERY few dealerships, if any, have one.