PDA

View Full Version : engine/carb help

pedro
08-28-2007, 07:58 AM
Alright so i just bought an 88 accord hatchbatck, the s model. the carb had just been replaced, and we go it inspected and a tune up done and some other minor things replaced, but it still doesnt run good, so our mechanic said the carb gaskets have holes in them, so we got them replaced, still didnt solve the problem. when i start the car it revs to 2000 (high idle speed) then goes down to nothing and dies, i do this like 4-5 times with the help of the accelerator before it will finally just idles properly. that isnt the only problem when im driving and i go to slow down and i push in the clutch it drops down and dies again. it only seems to happen when its cold(not warmed up) and after a while it stops. not only is it making me mad but its also embarrasing stalling at every stop sign/light. if anybody knows how to help me please respond. your help is greatly appreciated.

tulowtugo
11-17-2007, 12:16 PM
If you ever find out whats wrong, let me know!! Mine has had the same problem, but it just kept getting worse. Finally I parked it a year ago, but about a month ago I took it to my uncle whose a master mechanic.

He had it for a week or so and it seemed to be better. Well, I drove it home and got half way when it started it again. Runs great as long as there is a load on the engine, but hit that clutch and it dies.

My uncle checked out the vacuum system and cleaned out the carb. He adjusted a few things on the carb, but he did not rebuild it. Like I said, it was doing well and sat there idling for 15 minutes before I took it out, 30 minutes later, back to the old problems.

If anyone at all has any ideas, please let me know. At this point I'm left with no other options than to dump more money into it or replace it.

steveko
11-18-2007, 09:22 AM
I would check the choke opener and the dashpot if you have a manual transmission. Dashpot or otherwise known as the throttle controller for vaccum leaks.

russiankid
11-18-2007, 10:15 AM
Is the float level correct? How is the fuel pressure?

steveko
11-23-2007, 07:32 AM
Could also be a vaccum leak.

griffonks
12-04-2007, 10:02 PM
Could be ignition... bad coil, coil wire or distributer parts... seen fried coil wires die under load.

steveko
12-05-2007, 04:23 PM
Being that the car runs good when warm it's most likely the carb adjustments chokeopener throttle controller and idle speed.

RedStop
01-15-2008, 04:17 PM
HELLO GUYS I am having trouble with my 89 accord carb Its starts good but when I press on the gas it chokes and won't accelarate to good I have to keep it idled up when I am driving because it will stall any one have any ideas ?

itzdave
01-15-2008, 05:24 PM
mine does the same thing, and it dies when i turn left too... cant wait for that weber...

steveko
01-15-2008, 05:26 PM
Is the car up too normal operating temp or cold.

RedStop
01-15-2008, 06:53 PM
The car gets up to operation temp I have run it on the highway its when I stop I start to go that it stalls if I go to press on the gas hard it will choke and stall out
How is the throttle controller checked?

steveko
01-16-2008, 03:40 PM
Idle adjustment 1st.

steveko
01-16-2008, 04:01 PM
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- I found the throttle controler out of spec 1500-1700 rpm per shop manual. Adjust with car at normal operating temp vaccum line dissconnected. Car running of course.Adjust the trottle controller set screw to desired RPM.Hope this helps. I need some more vitals Idle RPMS and is the choke fully open when warm. Could be a loose primary booster.Also, the accelerator pump could be out of adjustment.