PDA

View Full Version : Power steering

Emuleiji
08-29-2007, 11:38 AM
Hi, Ive wake up this week and found out that my 3g had a power steering fluid leak.

So Ive bring it to the garage and they contacted honda to see which part has to be replaced because they are not sure... it seems theres like 2 line to change both about 40 $... plus since theyre not sure which one they have to change theyll have to compare... so the whole job is going to reach about 250 $ its a bit insane I guess for a power steering fluid leak... so whut up ?

kcaudill
08-29-2007, 11:51 AM
Could you please form a complete question for someone to answer? Not sure what you are asking. Is it that the cost of the replacement parts are expensive, or that you have a leak on an old car?

2ndGenGuy
08-29-2007, 12:19 PM
$250 for parts and labor doesn't seem that bad. Especially since they're swapping out your lines. I don't know what their shop rates are, but I don't typically expect anything to go in and out of a shop for less than that. I had a starter put in my car for $300.00 way back in the day, before I actually started doing my own work.

2oodoor
08-29-2007, 01:07 PM
wow, some alumini members coming out of the woodwork these past four a five days....
At todays shop labor rate of 85 dollars and up, rotaing your valve stem caps and checking air pressure would cost you over 50 dollars.
I say look and see where it is leaking, could be something very simple, the hardest thing would be the rack itself, and that is really not too bad.

Emuleiji
08-29-2007, 05:58 PM
actually I was asking.. and sorry if it wasnt clear

uhh... they dont know whats are the correct lines to change... they contacted honda but they too are confused since its an old car.

So I was wondering if anybody knows what are the correct lines...?

I dont know if Im being clear enought.. cause I dont know a thing about power steering...

LX-incredible
08-29-2007, 06:26 PM
Which lines, the return, pressure, speed sensor, what does the leaky line connect? I've only had problems with the pressure line, that goes from the pump to the rack.

snoopyloopy
08-30-2007, 11:04 AM
[thread jack]ok, on sabbath when i got home from church, i pulled up to the curb and my ps suddenly wasn't working. i started backing up for my parking and saw a trail of fluid following my passenger side which was indeed ps fluid like i suspected. i put more in just for kicks and it pretty much went straight through it. anyway, took off wheel and stuff to look at it today, the dust boot on the end is shot. so is it easier to just replace it or just replace the seals in the rack?[/thread jack]

2oodoor
08-30-2007, 11:18 AM
drain all the fluid out, fix the dust boot..those have nothing to do with fluid leaks. Then just remove the hoses and have manual steering:cheers:
most common leaks are pressure lines, and loose clamps on return lines

snoopyloopy
08-30-2007, 11:21 AM
heh, i have manual steering right now. it sucks. :bandance: and don't you have to fill it w/ fluid first before closing it off?

MessyHonda
08-30-2007, 11:50 AM
heh, i have manual steering right now. it sucks. :bandance: and don't you have to fill it w/ fluid first before closing it off?

we just need some manual racks.

snoopyloopy
08-30-2007, 12:51 PM
we should be able to get 'em. www.autopartswarehouse.com sells rebuilt ps and manual steering racks. i think it'd be like $250 at the most to your door including core charge. although i'm not sure they'll honor the core charge if you send them a ps rack.

Oldblueaccord
08-30-2007, 01:46 PM
actually I was asking.. and sorry if it wasnt clear

uhh... they dont know whats are the correct lines to change... they contacted honda but they too are confused since its an old car.

So I was wondering if anybody knows what are the correct lines...?

I dont know if Im being clear enought.. cause I dont know a thing about power steering...

The low pressure lines you can buy some hose and new clamps. The high pressure is special made fittings crimped on. You might be able to get a hydraulic line place to copy your old high pressure line.

I would go thru and tighten all the clamps first clean everything up and try to find the leak yourself.

Use Honda power steering fluid all times or Bardalys equivilent.

wp

LX-incredible
08-30-2007, 09:51 PM
[thread jack]ok, on sabbath when i got home from church, i pulled up to the curb and my ps suddenly wasn't working. i started backing up for my parking and saw a trail of fluid following my passenger side which was indeed ps fluid like i suspected. i put more in just for kicks and it pretty much went straight through it. anyway, took off wheel and stuff to look at it today, the dust boot on the end is shot. so is it easier to just replace it or just replace the seals in the rack?[/thread jack]
Same thing when mine went.

You will need to remove the rack and disassemble. If you replace only the boot, it will still leak, as it is under pressure. I was lazy and just got a reman. If you do the same, make sure to get new boots from honda, the ones that came with the rack were crap. I will eventually get around to rebuilding the core.

DBMaster
08-31-2007, 08:35 AM
I had a similar experience to LX. Mine started as having to add fluid every couple of weeks. There was a lot of "wetness" around the rack and lines, but no leaks that you could observe. So, I though it would be a good idea to replace my ripped up boots. When I pulled them I saw wetness around the inner tie rods on both sides. Then, one day, I left a trail of P/S fluid up my driveway and into the garage. The rack leaked at the steering box, tie rod ends, pump seals, etc. It was not from using non-Honda fluid, either. It seems like no matter what you do you will have to replace the rack when it hits a certain age. The manual rack is an option as is converting your power rack to manual, but if you are like me you like the variable power assist. I went with a good quality remanufactured rack supplied by Danny's Import Service in Lewisville. You can go as cheap as around $100, but the ones that are rebuilt properly (not just sleeved) are around $300.