PDA

View Full Version : is my secondry mechanical or vacuum ?

ACCORD EX
09-14-2002, 12:35 PM
hello everybody ! i was looking today into the secondry mechanical conversion thing ! and i noticed some different things about the carb ! i don't have secondry vacuum ( i think so ! )

so please look at the pics and tell me if i am mechanical or vacuum ! ?

first pic is DOUG's carb ! ( VACUUM secondry )

http://members.fortunecity.com/accordex87/carbsec.gif

MY PIC ( DON'T KNOW )

http://members.fortunecity.com/accordex87/secondry.jpg

thank you guys !

MIKE

ACCORD EX
09-14-2002, 12:39 PM
another pic !

http://members.fortunecity.com/accordex87/sec2.jpg

MIKE

A20A1
09-14-2002, 01:26 PM
You are missing the Idle Diaphragm that sits on the left side of the carb.

Your linkage looks a bit funny... but I will need a pic of the right side of your carb... the side where the fuel enters the float bowl.

rocky2
09-15-2002, 07:08 AM
The one pic that says "thank you guys" MIKE.

The nut on the right ,the linkage with the little roller,thats your meh secondary. With engine at wot it sprays more fuel. With engine idling you can activate it and watch the fuel go into the secondary opening in carb.:cool:

shepherd79
09-15-2002, 01:04 PM
ok i can't see the pictures at all.

A20A1
09-15-2002, 01:20 PM
Nope sorry your's is a vacuum secondary... I can see the vacuum line coming off the port on the front side of the carb.

I think the extra linkage in the pic you posted opens the choke.

A20A1
09-15-2002, 01:29 PM
Wait a sec... thats your idler... it's facing the firewall.

I must say they did a real good job of swaping thing around on your carb...

So the linkage doesn't open your choke... it must operate your idle... I think.... I chould be wrong again. urr more pics please.. could you take some corners views?

ACCORD EX
09-15-2002, 02:00 PM
ok here are more pics ! i think rocky2 is right ! :rolleyes:

http://members.fortunecity.com/accordex87/sec3.jpg

http://members.fortunecity.com/accordex87/sec4.jpg

http://members.fortunecity.com/accordex87/sec5.jpg

MIKE

ACCORD EX
09-15-2002, 02:02 PM
i think it's mechanical ! while i don't have the secondry diaphram ?

MIKE

dXsquared
09-15-2002, 02:40 PM
i have mechanical secondary too. i think canada cars all have them.
Travis

shepherd79
09-15-2002, 04:06 PM
sorry accord EX but you have vacuum one. it may look diff but i am sure it is vacuum.

one more thing, do you have vacuum diagram for your carb?
there should be a sticker on the hood that explains the vacuum diagram. can you take a picture and post it.
please.
i am trying to get rid of the mess under the hood.
thanks. you can email me the picture if you want.
thank alot.

A20A1
09-15-2002, 11:51 PM
Why won't you guys listento me... the port leading from primary and secondary venturi vacuum to secondary diaphragm is the same on all our carbs... therefore you have a vacuum secondary.

What you don't have the the idler that sits on the opposite side, but then I think I see it tucked in the back near the throttle stop screw.

ACCORD EX
09-16-2002, 01:57 AM
sorry shepherd79 but i don't have the digiram !

TRAVIS : can you post pics of your carb ! ?

MIKE

DanG86LX
09-16-2002, 08:27 AM
Does anybody know when "vacuum secondary" opens? I mean rpms, load, road conditions (uphill). I get at most 2..3inHg on #28 vacuum line and that won't open secondary.. I'm pretty sure back thermovalve on #28 was closed.

ACCORD EX
09-16-2002, 09:17 AM
i think it opens @ 3000 rpm ! really not sure !
but vacuum is really shit ! ! i prefer it mechanically !

MIKE

RCracer
09-16-2002, 11:29 AM
Mike (accord lx) if you have the same carb as mine it is a vac secondary. If you want to be certain take the air filter off and get someone to open the throttle to wide open (WOT) and have a look down the barrels of the carb (with the engine off) and the first will be open (the one with the chocke flap at the top) now have a look down the other if it is still shut it is a vac secondary.
Like A20A1 said I think they are all vac secondarys.

A20A1
09-16-2002, 04:34 PM
B20 running?

RCracer
09-17-2002, 01:05 AM
Originally posted by A20A1
B20 running?

Na not yet. Just got rid of the bodyshell yesturday as the neighbours were bitchin (so I cut it up with a hammer and chisel. hehe) on with the B20 now it will be a 3-4 weeks before its in as some parts are hard to find. Even from honda!!!!

ACCORD EX
09-17-2002, 01:26 AM
can you see the second barell from above ! ? BTW Paul isn't your engine A20A2 ?? do you have my carb ! ?

MIKE

DanG86LX
09-17-2002, 07:15 AM
Originally posted by ACCORD EX
sorry shepherd79 but i don't have the diaphragm !
Yes you do, on ur last pic , that's the one, and the pic before that, the one with the short #17 line.. Follow the rod of that diaphragm and u'll find is linked to ur secondary..

RCracer
09-17-2002, 11:51 AM
Yes Mike (accord ex ) I do have a a20a2 like yours except mine is a auto (for now but not much longer. B20a with 5speed should be in within a month). My carb is rougly the same as yours and it has a vac secondary you can see the operating rod in the corner of your pic.
I have attatched a pic of my carb but it doesn't show the rod that operates the secondary but you can see the diaphram that moves the rod it is the round thing on the right. At the front of the carb (front of the pic) with the small pipe going to it.

ACCORD EX
09-17-2002, 12:38 PM
DanG86LX : line 17 is connected to the carb and the diaphram is the AC booster !
AERODECKUK : this diaphram to the right is the AC booster !
you have vacuum secondry ( i think ) because you have this diaphram at the left side ( where the line with the blue round thing is connected to )

i think i 'll try to see it when the car is not running if the barel opens or not !

MIKE

RCracer
09-17-2002, 01:40 PM
Originally posted by ACCORD EX

AERODECKUK : this diaphram to the right is the AC booster !
you have vacuum secondry ( i think ) because you have this diaphram at the left side ( where the line with the blue round thing is connected to )

i think i 'll try to see it when the car is not running if the barel opens or not !

MIKE [/B]

I do not have A/C and the rod from that diaphram (on the right in the other pic) goes to my secondary. You can see the rod in the attached pic, the diaphram is now on the left in the pic.

A20A1
09-17-2002, 06:30 PM
The A/C idle boost is in the back by the accelerator pump arm.

Did you guys not look a dougs page... I sent him a lot of info.

A20A1
09-17-2002, 06:46 PM
Originally posted by shepherd79
sorry accord EX but you have vacuum one. it may look diff but i am sure it is vacuum.

one more thing, do you have vacuum diagram for your carb?
there should be a sticker on the hood that explains the vacuum diagram. can you take a picture and post it.
please.
i am trying to get rid of the mess under the hood.
thanks. you can email me the picture if you want.
thank alot.

I can post pics of my carb... I just took a few and I'll tell you what you need to plug and the rest you can toss. OK?

ACCORD EX
09-17-2002, 11:20 PM
damn ! all this time i thought it was A/C !

MIKE

shepherd79
09-18-2002, 04:04 AM
A20A1, mike, send me the picture and explanation what i have to get rid of .
thanks

ACCORD EX
09-20-2002, 10:52 AM
Alex if you meant me ! i didn't remove the vacuum , my car already has less emmisions ( A20A2)

MIKE