PDA

View Full Version : can't get the damn hub nut off

markmdz89hatch
09-14-2002, 01:11 PM
Ok guys, i need a little help here.

How the hell do i get the damn hub nut loose? So far, we broke a 18" breaker bar, and bent a 24" breaker. So... ...that's not working.

Help

:flipa: :321:

markmdz89hatch
09-14-2002, 01:15 PM
oh yeah, one more problem...

NO AIR TOOLS!!!!!

:burn:

staticpat
09-14-2002, 01:17 PM
the middle piece has a little dent in to keep it from being removed. you have to get a chisel or screwdriver or something and dent it out, so that the nut can turn. i got mine off with a hugeass socket.

markmdz89hatch
09-14-2002, 01:22 PM
yeah, i figured the out little dent thing, and still that f*cking nut is stuck on there like a bastard.

doug
09-14-2002, 04:10 PM
knowing that I was gonna do the axles this weekend, two weeks ago I sprayed everything on the suspension with penetrating oil, and then again last weekend. I used a 32mm 1/2" socket, rachet with about 3 foot pipe, it was tight, but broke lose. My problem is getting it back together, the nut on the ball joint spindle tightened up and the whole joint just spins now. I've tried hammering the lower arm up some but the spindle won't lock up so I can tighten the nut.

YK86
09-14-2002, 04:42 PM
Lots of oil should do the trick along with a breaker bar and pipe. Try heating it up a bit it's really that bad. They get pretty tight but I'venever had it so tight that I bent or broke a breaker bar.
Doug-if your joint is spinning, your joint is wearing out. You might have to buy a new one.

offthahook
09-14-2002, 06:01 PM
Can you reuse that nut or should you get a new one?? They are always on there TIGHT!!

Dutchboy
09-14-2002, 06:12 PM
get a block of wood that fits ontop of the top control arm ,,the one at the top with the balljoint on it and put the wood betwwen it and the arm and jack up the lower control arm until the car starts to lift or you are able to tighten it...

if you dont get what i mean pm me,,,,
the trick is to get the arm tight on the joint so that it wont spin....just jacking it up wont work becasue the suspesion wont have enough down force ... thats why you have to stop it with the wood between the arm and fender well.

BEn

locknload68
09-14-2002, 07:02 PM
When I did mine, I used a 1/2" ratchet and the handle off of my floor jack, then I stood on it and it loosened pretty easily.

89accordlxi
09-14-2002, 07:03 PM
Originally posted by markmdz89hatch
Ok guys, i need a little help here.

How the hell do i get the damn hub nut loose? So far, we broke a 18" breaker bar, and bent a 24" breaker. So... ...that's not working.

Help

:flipa: :321:

Yeah, I had the same problem. I broke one breaker and bent another as well. I had no choice but to take it to a shop and had them loosen it for me. Only $10. So if you have already tried every thing and are getting sick and tired, dish out the $10 and save yourself a headache and stress..

That's my suggestion.

Good luck
Peace out...

88LXi68
09-14-2002, 07:09 PM
Well guys,

I was there today helping Mark and I have NEVER seen anything like this. It has killed 3 breaker bars, bent a big pipe and made me feel like crap after I jumped on the pipe. We SOAKED it in PB Blaster. Mark has decided to rent an air compressor tomorrow so we'll see how that goes.

Jims 86LXI HB
09-14-2002, 07:50 PM
Glad to see you their to help him. Thing's usually go better when someone else is their to help you. I'm lucky my brother has a 500LBs torque air ratchet, my axle nut would not have come off without it.

markmdz89hatch
09-14-2002, 09:02 PM
Originally posted by locknload68
When I did mine, I used a 1/2" ratchet and the handle off of my floor jack, then I stood on it and it loosened pretty easily.

...great idea! I thought of the same thing too, but all that led to was the destruction of breaker bar #2.

Originally posted by 89accordlxi
Yeah, I had the same problem. I broke one breaker and bent another as well. I had no choice but to take it to a shop and had them loosen it for me. Only $10. So if you have already tried every thing and are getting sick and tired, dish out the $10 and save yourself a headache and stress..

That's my suggestion.

Good luck
Peace out...

...also another superb idea, but that's definitly not happening seeing that we already took out the pedal assy., the shifter, cat-forward exhaust, battery, starter, etc, etc, etc. Meaning, that's not going too far unless by means other then it's own 4 wheels. I first thought of the same thing too, but quickly realized that was not an option.

...so, i'm getting up early tomorrow morning, and getting to the rental place at 8AM sharp, and gettting that damn compressor.

:mad: :stick: :burn:

YK86
09-14-2002, 09:49 PM
Unless they have a high torque impact wrench like Jim mentioned, air tools may not help. I have a 350 ft-lbs impact wrench and sometimes a breaker bar with pipe will loosen stuff the impact can't. So just make sure you ask the rental shop.

carotman
09-15-2002, 05:15 AM
Get an electric impact... not a wussy one tough.

I rented an electric impact used for metal structures like buildings and bridges.... 1 inch drive :) :) :) :)

The guy asked me what I wanted this for.... When I told hit it was for the crank pulley bolt., he warned me about 10 times NOT to screw it in with the wrench.. ONLY use it to remove the bolt.

No need to mention the bolt came loose as if it wasn't tightened :)

dosh8er
09-15-2002, 08:00 AM
damn! I dream about tools like that when in those situations.

I had a similar problem, except, it wasn't MY breaker bar, it was my boss's. and the ratchet (:rolleyes: bad idea.) was mine. (craftsman though)... So I went out to sears, since they're open all the time, (so returning is no problem) and bought a 1/2" breaker bar (18" long, or, if you can, longer). I had an old post for a chain link fence about 2" in dia. and busted that baby with my old man AND me yanking on it.

Heat works surprisingly well... Heat it up, then let it cool. Do that 5-6 times. Then heat it up a last time, and give 'er hell.

Dutchboy
09-15-2002, 10:39 AM
when all of you have tried this have you not used a little extension or anything?

Inorder for you to get the breaker bar at a right angle at which it will actually work then you need to use a extension on it too...

you would be applying all the force which your using on the bar only pretty well other than the nut itself...

I helped my friend do his cv's last week and a 1.5foot bar and 1/2" ratchet with extension it came off no problem....

just my 2 cents but it works better,,,
BEn

89lxihb 00lude
09-15-2002, 09:56 PM
LOL oh god I remember taaking mine off. LOL Had a 4 ft breaker bar with me and a buddy jumping up and down on the damn thing. Wish I took a pic over 400lbs jumping on that damn not and still took like 6 good jumps. Thought damn wheel was going to get ripped off it was moving so bad lol