PDA

View Full Version : The Rear strut thread!

Legend_master
09-02-2007, 09:17 AM
So we basically figured out how to run civic front struts, now we need to figure out something for the rear. So I want to start a thread where we can compile all the information learned so far. I know the 96 rear civic struts fit, but they make the car much lower in the rear. So I think the next best bet would be 92 Honda Accord. I do have a comparison of a 94 civic 4dr strut next to a 3gee struts (3gee on the left, civic on the right). It looks like the Rear accord springs will not fit on the civic strut. So lets post up some strut comparisons, and ideas for extending the struts to fit our car.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/Legend_Master/Hosting%20pictures/DSCF0022.jpg

2drSE-i
09-02-2007, 09:48 AM
im guessing the rear accord springs wont fit in the civic struts because they wont fit in the perches? Or are they too long? The civic perches need to come up a bit on the strut to make it even out either way...

Legend_master
09-02-2007, 10:26 PM
im guessing the rear accord springs wont fit in the civic struts because they wont fit in the perches? Or are they too long? The civic perches need to come up a bit on the strut to make it even out either way...

Yeah look at the size of the perch on the civic strut. The perch is in an ok location, but the rod and everything above the perch needs to be extended.

ghettogeddy
09-02-2007, 10:35 PM
Yeah look at the size of the perch on the civic strut. The perch is in an ok location, but the rod and everything above the perch needs to be extended.

but the civic drop zone coil overs im using will fit fine
so it opens a shit load more
now to fit those couldent u just remove the stock bolts and replace them with longer ones then use 2 nuts one on bottom and one on top
to kinda make an adj top hat mount

sorry 3 bolts on to hold the nolt in at the bottom then one more over that then mount he strut and use one on top, then u can move the middle one till it is were u want it
or would there be to much pressure on the 2 bolts

2drSE-i
09-02-2007, 10:57 PM
well if you look at it, the civic perch would sit a bit lower than ours, but in the end the rod winds up being WAY shorter. the top hat would have to have much longer bolts, and this is why it would sit so much lower than our stock setup

ghettogeddy
09-02-2007, 11:00 PM
well if you look at it, the civic perch would sit a bit lower than ours, but in the end the rod winds up being WAY shorter. the top hat would have to have much longer bolts, and this is why it would sit so much lower than our stock setup

then when a set or coil overs or liek the d2s legends has comes into play

2drSE-i
09-02-2007, 11:13 PM
well im pretty sure this is for budget suspension setups...as everyone is bitching about dropping a grand on decent coilovers....which i totally dont understand.

2drSE-i
09-02-2007, 11:36 PM
Alright so gheddy and i were chatting away last night and we had a couple of ideas.

First, that the 90-93 accord rears would probably fit better than the 94 civic ones, mostly because its similar shape to our strut design and aftermarket support, and the fact that the strut rod is much longer than ours, preventing it from bottoming out.

Here was our idea. Use a good after market strut. Buy a cheap set of coilover sleeves on ebay (bomz or whatever, 15-25 bucks) Immediately throw away the springs that come with that kit, use them in your bed or whatever. Dissassemble that kit, use your aftermarket springs (90-93 accords would probably work best) and you have a set of struts and springs that are height adjustable and wont blow out. heres a pic for reference (in the pic, its a 3g accord strut with a 00 civic coilover kit)
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b397/ghettogeddy/100_0138.jpg?t=1188803954

edit: Gheddy just let me know that on his car he has a spacer (about 3") between the strut and the coilover perch (barely visible in that pic. He also has the coilovers adjusted as low as they go and they ride fine.

bobafett
09-03-2007, 06:37 AM
http://flyinmiata.com/index.php?deptid=4537&parentid=0&stocknumber=13-57100

http://flyinmiata.com/images/misc_images/13-57100b.jpg

we need to fab up something like this! this specific model doesn't change ride height (something we probably would want to do)

but I always just envisioned a spacer that was about 2" thick. drill out some holes that are just big enough for the studs from the strut, then recess another hole that is big enough to fit a socket/nut into it, so you can attach the strut to this spacer. then stick the whole unit up under the car and press some studs into the spacer so it is able to mount up the same way a stock strut does. cost would be a 3-4" diameter peice of aluminum that is 2" thick, one for each side. :) or you could just try to make new top hats and not bother with an adapter. :) but i think this would be easier.

bobafett
09-03-2007, 06:56 AM

An even easier idea would be to build this spacer, and just press in new studs into the stock top hat that are 2" longer. :) then we just need to emulate the profile of the top hat (just close enough so that it fits under the strut mount) and make the spacers as thick as neccessary. :) someone could probably build a template out of that pretty easily and cut the metal on a bandsaw I imagine. Although I don't know how difficult it would be to cut 2" thick aluminum.

another possibility would be to use thinner metal (1/2" maybe?) and stack them depending on the model of strut used in the rear, some people might need more or less adjustment. the same 2" studs could be pressed in, and won't hurt if they are too long. :)

Legend_master
09-03-2007, 09:34 AM
How about two top hats spaced out about 2" from each other. You could put some kind of metal spacer in between them. Take the bolts out of the top tophat, and run longer bolts from the bottom one to the top and through the strut tower.

bobafett
09-03-2007, 09:45 AM
yep same principle :) it would actually look a lot like the front mod. :)

Legend_master
09-03-2007, 09:50 AM
yep same principle :) it would actually look a lot like the front mod. :)

That's exactly what I was thinking, except of coarse both top hats would be under the strut mount. It looks like a reasonable strut setup is possible with the new mods.

bobafett
09-03-2007, 10:15 AM
i do worry that lengthening these bolts etc (especially in the front) and changing the mounting points might cause more flex and weakness, but that's why I think if we found a way to use solid aluminum mounts it would eliminate that risk and we would be good to go!

also I feel that we should focus on getting 1 make/model of struts working with our car. IE if we use 88-91 civic fronts, let's see what it takes to put their rear struts in. I haven't followed the suspension threads enough to make an educated guess as to the most likely candidate though.

i guess if we stick with struts it would be no big deal have to get different types for the rear vs the front. but for those of us who still would like to try coilovers it makes the choice a little more difficult still.

2drSE-i
09-03-2007, 10:30 AM
i just though me and gheddys idea would take the risk out of it. It keeps all the same mount points, no extra spacers are really necessary. the only downside is i think it would put more stress on the strut.

bobafett
09-03-2007, 10:34 AM
I'm not totally sure I understand what you guys are talking about doing.

It sounds like either you just planned on using coilovers to help with the height issue (obviously going to be necessary if using a strut that is way shorter). OR that you used a spacer like we are talking about anyway, and we are all talking about the same thing afterall.

After rereading your post I think he had to use a spacer anyway, so it sounds like we are all talking about different ways to build the actual spacer.

2drSE-i
09-03-2007, 10:36 AM
he said he used a 3" spacer to go under the coilover perch, i forgot about that. I think he said floor spacer?? not sure what that is.

Hash_man_Se_i
04-01-2008, 07:47 PM
I just got some measurements of 90-93 Integra rear struts.

Fully extended is just over 24", compressed is about 17.5".

The only slight issue is the lower fork is slightly wider than our accords, should work great though as an alternative rear shock though... also, 90-93 integras, and 88-91 Civics have very similar front suspension... so, this makes me think that 90-93 teg full coilovers should work well too.