PDA

View Full Version : New Rear Strut Bar Made and Installed

mushroom_toy
09-02-2007, 10:09 PM
Well like the title said finally got some work done today. We started off with a delsol strut bar, and shortened it and rewelded/decurved it, and ended up with a nice rear tower bar, after sone clipping and coaxing. Then I got it home sanded it down and painted it with 2 coats high temp flat black, then 2 coats of the factory color code. Car is much stiffer in the rear with both this and the Vigor bar I installed a while back. Cheers. I love it!

What we started with. Del Sol front strut bar.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v28/JubeiMunchCurry/ResizeWizard-1-66.jpg

After cutting it, rewelding the arm on, and shaping it pretty good. Also after I sanded it down.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v28/JubeiMunchCurry/ResizeWizard-5-39.jpg

Paint!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v28/JubeiMunchCurry/ResizeWizard-4-47.jpg

In car!!!!
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v28/JubeiMunchCurry/ResizeWizard-3-53.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v28/JubeiMunchCurry/ResizeWizard-2-57.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v28/JubeiMunchCurry/ResizeWizard-1-72.jpg

The holes arent the greatest, and the cuts made with the zizwheel arent perfect, but it serves its purpose damn good. Function over form.

frantik
09-02-2007, 11:42 PM
cool :thumbup:

ghettogeddy
09-02-2007, 11:44 PM
so how much for one thats a little better looking

MessyHonda
09-03-2007, 12:58 AM
thats not bad...but the justin one does both holes. so i think its extra secure.

Civic Accord Honda
09-03-2007, 01:34 AM
cool look tight also you should remove the trunk interior that shit is probley like 10lbs all tegether

mushroom_toy
09-03-2007, 05:13 AM
so how much for one thats a little better looking

Dont know, free is best. :wave:

mushroom_toy
09-03-2007, 05:14 AM
thats not bad...but the justin one does both holes. so i think its extra secure.

One bolt is plenty on the rear.

mushroom_toy
09-03-2007, 05:14 AM
cool look tight also you should remove the trunk interior that shit is probley like 10lbs all tegether

But for now....I still like the look of a half full interior XD.

DDRaptor
09-03-2007, 07:36 AM
Hey you did it again. Another great job your on a roll. I gotta make a trip to GA. lol.
you got the bar from a junkyard.?

MessyHonda
09-03-2007, 11:27 AM
One bolt is plenty on the rear.

yup anything helps. but i did not notice alot of difference. till i got my lowering springs.

mushroom_toy
09-03-2007, 06:28 PM
Hey you did it again. Another great job your on a roll. I gotta make a trip to GA. lol.
you got the bar from a junkyard.?

Scored it for free from a friend.

mushroom_toy
09-03-2007, 06:29 PM
yup anything helps. but i did not notice alot of difference. till i got my lowering springs.

Vigor rear bar and Vigor mounts + rear strut bar = plenty of change for me. Rear chassis is stiff!

Pico
09-03-2007, 06:30 PM
Good job mushroom

ZackieDarko
09-03-2007, 09:14 PM
ok and now the next question

wana make some for the rest of us :-p

ghettogeddy
09-03-2007, 09:18 PM
but is one bolt really enough or is it gona be to much on it

BITESIZE
09-04-2007, 12:07 AM
Sand it down and it will look great. Where can I get one?

mushroom_toy
09-04-2007, 08:09 AM
Sand it down and it will look great. Where can I get one?

Its already been sanded and painted color of the car yo. youll have to either buy one of justins, or find a bar from another car and make it work, or just make your own. What I used it a Del Sol Strut bar cut and coaxed to fit. XD

mushroom_toy
09-04-2007, 08:11 AM
but is one bolt really enough or is it gona be to much on it

I see it this way. The rear only has two bolts holding the stur assembly on anyway, so one should be good enough and should be too much stress either.

mushroom_toy
09-04-2007, 08:12 AM
Good job mushroom

Thanks.

mushroom_toy
09-04-2007, 08:13 AM
ok and now the next question

wana make some for the rest of us :-p

It took so damn long to mod the bar...Plus I dont have the tools, or I would. If yall buy me some torches, zizwheels, drill presses and stuff, Ill make all of you free bars....that look a lot better too. :)

-$MOKIN-
09-04-2007, 08:24 AM
Not to bad for a garage built. And yes free is best. the lesss you ahve to spend the more money you got to save. good job. make me one..lol

stat1K
09-04-2007, 08:31 AM
my guess is it will break with the one bolt but that's just my guess. i had a front strut bar (the ebay kind) on my rex and the mount broke with 2 holes so i'm guessing one would probably do the same... although this is the rear not the front but nevertheless that's my opinion.

-$MOKIN-
09-04-2007, 09:01 AM
Well after you came to my post and put a bull sht azz reply i thought id coem back and tell you that your craftmanship is in need of work why didnt you just get a broom stick and paste it? might of did the same thing you accomplished. with your one bolt mount you should be rockin the roadway. good job . did you get a hamster in a wheel for your motor too? i would take it out if i was you. looks like sht.

labeledsk8r
09-04-2007, 09:13 AM
ehh for free not bad, i would be worried about snaping a mounting bracket... might be easy to cut out some round disks and then adding them on to that to make the 2 bolt round bracket?? if its allready the corect lenght might make modding easyer.. but for free not bad at all function over form

Well after you came to my post and put a bull sht azz reply i thought id coem back and tell you that your craftmanship is in need of work why didnt you just get a broom stick and paste it? might of did the same thing you accomplished. with your one bolt mount you should be rockin the roadway. good job . did you get a hamster in a wheel for your motor too? i would take it out if i was you. looks like sht.

:huh:ummm.... i hate to say it but i think you have the actual maker off this thread confused?? i dont think he has posted in any of your threads.......

-$MOKIN-
09-04-2007, 09:18 AM
LOL....your right it is the wrong guy. ok i oppologize to you. for bashin your creative work. i had a thrread and got mass haters. i posted this becuase of a hater who was bashing me whome i thought was you. im sorry about the broom stick and hamster ordeal. mybad

MessyHonda
09-04-2007, 10:09 AM
LOL....your right it is the wrong guy. ok i oppologize to you. for bashin your creative work. i had a thrread and got mass haters. i posted this becuase of a hater who was bashing me whome i thought was you. im sorry about the broom stick and hamster ordeal. mybad

you also got to calm down....why do you post pictures if you dont want to be Critisided. next time just make a thread saying Project updates or something like that.

mustard_madman
09-04-2007, 01:42 PM

http://a484.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/35/l_bda2720495a9131179057b4ea64be66b.jpg

Der! Idiot.

russiankid
09-04-2007, 01:47 PM

I think creativity is what counts. And for his motor, it is getting close to 400,000 miles, still original, so i wouldn't talk about his motor.

MessyHonda
09-04-2007, 02:04 PM
yup his motor has seen more miles than you will ever drive.

Civic Accord Honda
09-04-2007, 02:13 PM
i think mushroom did a great job on the rear strut bar and i know if i had one like that id be pourd to spot it
a 1bolt strut bar is better then no strut bar at all
and i highly doubt it will snap

A20A1
09-04-2007, 03:13 PM
I don't like how you have the hole so wide.
Get a washer the size of the bolt and weld it to the strut bar on the underside of the bracket to make it a tight fit then use another loose washer on top of the strut bar bracket that goes under the nut.
As it stands now the bar could move/slide around.

But then I'm no expert, just a thought though since you don't have a second bolt/nut keeping the bar bracket from sliding.

A20A1
09-04-2007, 03:17 PM
http://a484.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images01/35/l_bda2720495a9131179057b4ea64be66b.jpg

Der! Idiot.

I'm sorry but there was no need to call him an idiot.

Consider this a warning.

EDIT: Upon further review this seems to be your third warning.

A20A1
09-04-2007, 03:41 PM
i think mushroom did a great job on the rear strut bar and i know if i had one like that id be pourd to spot it
a 1bolt strut bar is better then no strut bar at all
and i highly doubt it will snap

Snapping could be an issue but how can it snap if the bolt can slide around in a hole twice it's size? Thats my concern aside from putting stress on the bolt itself.

mushroom_toy
09-04-2007, 07:47 PM
^more thank likely it will not snap...whit bitch is strong. besides that the hole problem....yeah.....a little too much alcohol + drill press gone bad + torch = big holes.....didnt want that....but eh, ill live with it. I didnt do most of the work. i did the sizing placing and bending. Friend did the welding and cutting. As far as the washer idea...right now it would have to be a very thin washer, as the strut nut isnt on the bolt that well on either side. I think its fine for now. Done some pretty spirited driving and its holding amazingly. I love it...and its pretty too. :) Anyway my car just hit 395,115 miles today...and i need a new o2 sensor :0 Cheers,

labeledsk8r
09-04-2007, 08:08 PM
just a quick question, when you mean shorten and reweld, that means you sliced the bar in half, took out the amount you needed out and re, welded corect?? i cant deside if i want to build one from scratch or do this (i would really like to see if just would do another bar run for everything **hint hint*) but yeah like i said before cool work

mushroom_toy
09-04-2007, 09:10 PM
^ Yeah part of the bar was cut off and the foot was re welded. What we did was first removed the welds on the right foot, then cut the bar to length, which I went from nut to nut of course. Then we just set it up and re welded the foot back on. Then came the cutting of the feet because of the lip on the strut top, and the car sheet metal. Personally next time I will make my own, because its about the same amount of work, but unless i need another one, due to failure or anything, then this one will stay a long time.