PDA

View Full Version : Looking for 5-6 psi for my DD

Jedz123
09-10-2007, 02:54 AM
So I've researched around and it seems everyone is all about building their motors up and trying to hit 15-20 psi. how about guys like me that only want 5-6 psi to improve the ride of their daily driver. I've been looking into IHI turbos off older Subarus fast spool time and low boost. I know how to build and tune power getting turbo cars (owned a 90 Dodge Daytona 2.5 T1 with 190whp @4800 rpm and 285 wftl/lbs@ 1500 rpm) But I don't want to build another turbo power house. Just want to enhance my daily driver. Good idea for me? Is it easy to do with just 5-6 psi? I am good with my hands and metal so no worries about fabrication I think I can handle anything a project like this throws my way.
Thanks guys

~Jedz

labeledsk8r
09-10-2007, 03:04 AM
well from what i have read around reaserching my own build, these engines are good at holding boost on stock internals, people say you can hold around 10 psi with a healthy engine, if its not running to par stock, just do a stock rebuild, no expensive aftermarket pistons or valves. so from what i have read 5-6 psi could be done easyly, still need to get a tubo manifold made,switch over to OBD1 or atleast a stand alone fuel management system and of corse fit your charge pipeing and ediquit exhaust, someone correct me if im rong

russiankid
09-10-2007, 03:49 AM
Before you do anything, do a compression and leak down test. I remember reading that if your compression is lower than 150psi, don't turbo.

ghettogeddy
09-10-2007, 04:20 AM
well your gona half to make your own turbo header no matter what lol unless someone puts one up for sale sometime soon lol

MessyHonda
09-10-2007, 09:14 AM
justin86 still has a turbo kit for sale.

2drSE-i
09-10-2007, 10:10 AM
if your decent at fabrication you wont have any trouble. The trouble you will have is fuel and ignition management. Its a good idea, read up on OBD-1 swaps

bobafett
09-10-2007, 04:59 PM
yeah like the others have said, you will need to fab up a manifold, downpipe, charge pipes, wg dump etc...

for tuning if you are never going to run more than 5-6psi you could probably get away with an safc and btm. :) you will probably want a 190lph fuel pump though and some dsm 450cc injectors. :)

TWOLOUDNPROUD
09-10-2007, 05:11 PM
Go Here>http://www.homemadeturbo.com/forum/index.php?topic=83018.0

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f161/weirtech/a20aflange.jpg

A18A
09-10-2007, 05:24 PM
wow there's a great start :D

Jedz123
09-11-2007, 02:49 AM
thanks guys you have all been a real big help.

I only got a few Q's so here they are:

1) For an OBD1 swap what in the hell do I need? Do I need to swap everything out or just the ECU (orECM)?

2) BobaFett you said I could get away with an SAFC and a BTM. I know what a SAFC is. What is a BTM?

3) I'm able to modify anything for this mod. Exhaust you guys are saying I need to upgrade to a bigger exhaust system. What size piping should I use what type of mufflers, cats, resonators should be on the pipe?

..I can't think of anymore...off to work.
Thanks
~Jedz

cubert
09-11-2007, 03:22 AM
not trying to rain on the parade...but it looks like you have an auto...id probably research how well the auto trans would hold up to boost...

2drSE-i
09-11-2007, 06:11 AM
not trying to rain on the parade...but it looks like you have an auto...id probably research how well the auto trans would hold up to boost...

it wouldnt. Driveplate would pretty much shred if the gears dont go first...

bobafett
09-11-2007, 07:22 AM
MSD BTM is a device that retards X degrees of timing per pound of boost. You can adjust the dial to pull more or less timing based on your setup. It's a pretty sloppy and unsafe way to control timing, but unless you do an obd1 swap, thats the only way you can retard timing. One of the downsides of trying to mod an old obd0 accord. :)

As for exhaust, once you are boosted, the general idea is the bigger the better. 3" is probably fine. :)

As for the obd1 swap, do a few searches, the steps have been documented pretty well, but its a bit scattered.

The bottom line is: need obd1 ecu, modding a obd1 distributor to fit our head, some wiring from the electronic dizzy to the ecu, an obd0 > obd1 adapter harness (repinned by you cause it won't work off the shelf), and you have to solve the VSS issue which can be tricky. its sure not simple, but its not insurmountable either. there are about 5 members on here who have experience with the upgrade.

but I would be nervous about boosting with the auto tranny. they are notoriously unforgiving as is. :( so you might want to consider a 5 speed swap too. :)

TWOLOUDNPROUD
09-11-2007, 11:05 AM
bobafett i used a OBD-1 PR4 Ecu and i did have do any thing to the VSS even the speedO is right on my dataloging.Maybe the PR4 is some thing to look at for going OBD-1 non Vtec and it uses a P30 base.The differenc i can find between the PR4 and the P28 is that the PR4 is bitch to convert Vtec.

bobafett
09-11-2007, 11:08 AM
interesting. most of my research has been on a p75 non-vtec integra ecu. sounds like the pr4 might eliminate one hassle!

TWOLOUDNPROUD
09-11-2007, 11:10 AM
interesting. most of my research has been on a p75 non-vtec integra ecu. sounds like the pr4 might eliminate one hassle!

It was nice not to mess with the VSS:cheers:

Jedz123
09-11-2007, 01:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cubert View Post
it wouldnt. Driveplate would pretty much shred if the gears dont go first...
Wow all that with only 5 psi... I shouldn't even beat on it huh?

If a transmission swap is in order, then I'm out thanks guys!

ghettogeddy
09-11-2007, 01:57 PM
Wow all that with only 5 psi... I shouldn't even beat on it huh?

If a transmission swap is in order, then I'm out thanks guys!

swap is actaulyl pritty easy
takes about 30 mins to get the out out
only hard part ive heard is the pedals

Jedz123
09-11-2007, 02:23 PM
I just swapped this
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/10/web/2602000-2602999/2602867_61_full.jpg
I'm swapped out for now thanks...

snoopyloopy
09-11-2007, 02:56 PM
so tranny swap should be piece of cake :thumbup: and if your pockets would allow you too, talk to guaynabo and see if you can't get a manifold through him from the guy who made his. that thing is beautiful.

Jedz123
09-11-2007, 05:04 PM
....how to people talk me into these projects..

How much do you think I could get my hands on a manual tranny for my car???

If it's less then a grand I'll consider...

Damn you guys!!!!!
~Jedz

bobafett
09-11-2007, 05:13 PM
I bought a 5-speed tranny at junkyard for $75 but had to pull it myself.
Factor in the cost for a flywheel and new clutch etc, and pedals, and you should easily come in under $1000 even with a really nice clutch setup and all honda parts. :)

Jedz123
09-12-2007, 04:20 AM
don't I need the ECM as well?

bobafett
09-12-2007, 06:43 AM
not sure, couldn't hurt, and they are bound to be reasonably cheap. i have an extra 89 5-speed ecu i can sell you if you don't want to go find one.

but if ur planning on doing obd1 as well you don't need to worry about the accord ecu. however if it were me i would try to get one project done at a time lol.

2drSE-i
09-12-2007, 10:08 AM
ya if this is your DD i would do the five speed swap and get it running before you attempt your turbo swap. if you try to do it all at once you will run into problems and the car will be down for weeks lol

Jedz123
09-12-2007, 10:49 AM
uhhhh I think I'm going to have to be ok with it being N/A sounds like to much work and money for me right now. I spent a pretty penny and hundreds of hours getting my Subaru on the road so... I guess this car project is going to have to wait....

2drSE-i
09-12-2007, 11:05 AM
if your going N/A read the performance thread. TONS of good info in in there.

LiTtLe xOx BitT
09-12-2007, 11:09 AM
....how to people talk me into these projects..

How much do you think I could get my hands on a manual tranny for my car???

If it's less then a grand I'll consider...

Damn you guys!!!!!
~Jedz

I did the swap and used a brand new flywheel, clutch, cable and it cost $500 for everything, and it only takes a day if you know what your doing. And i hate to tell you but even if you go N/A if you plan on doing anything more then a I/H/E then you will probably need a tranny swap anyway.

AccordEpicenter
09-12-2007, 03:13 PM
it cost me under 400 to swap to 5 speed and never regretted it. I smoked the auto on the stock engine so i wouldnt think it would hold up that well to boost. To make a turbo install worth it you need to boost at least 8-9psi boost, there is a big jump in power for some reason from 5psi to 9psi, the difference is like night and day. And with a conservative tune the engine should be fine either way. For a budget yet not halfass system on a stock engined car i would say a BTM and safc will work satisfactorily but you need the 450cc injectors. On top of that, a good front mount intercooler, 2.5" charge piping, couplers, turbo manifold (even if its a log manifold) and id reccomend at least a 2.5" exhaust, anything less and youll choke the engine a lil, an ebay blow off valve, and T3 60/63 turbo will give you a good top end without being really laggy. Plus they are relatively cheap and easy to get. You need to change to colder spark plugs also, I used NGK BPR7ES and they worked god. And yes, the stainless braided oil lines are a good investment too. Also, i would tune this with a wideband o2 sensor or borrow one. I ran with no 02 sensors on the stock ecu with the msd box and a safc and rarely got a check engine light. Also, i would leave the egr valve but plug it off. oh yeah, the ecus from 5 speed accords are the same as auto accords, dont worry about changing it

LX-incredible
09-12-2007, 04:05 PM
The ECUs are slightly different. The auto controls an extra air bleed solenoid and has an input from the shift selector switch.

AccordEpicenter
09-14-2007, 04:16 AM
yea but for what we are doing it will make no difference whatsoever. At least imo

89T
09-14-2007, 03:55 PM
it cost me under 400 to swap to 5 speed and never regretted it. I smoked the auto on the stock engine so i wouldnt think it would hold up that well to boost. To make a turbo install worth it you need to boost at least 8-9psi boost, there is a big jump in power for some reason from 5psi to 9psi, the difference is like night and day. And with a conservative tune the engine should be fine either way. For a budget yet not halfass system on a stock engined car i would say a BTM and safc will work satisfactorily but you need the 450cc injectors. On top of that, a good front mount intercooler, 2.5" charge piping, couplers, turbo manifold (even if its a log manifold) and id reccomend at least a 2.5" exhaust, anything less and youll choke the engine a lil, an ebay blow off valve, and T3 60/63 turbo will give you a good top end without being really laggy. Plus they are relatively cheap and easy to get. You need to change to colder spark plugs also, I used NGK BPR7ES and they worked god. And yes, the stainless braided oil lines are a good investment too. Also, i would tune this with a wideband o2 sensor or borrow one. I ran with no 02 sensors on the stock ecu with the msd box and a safc and rarely got a check engine light. Also, i would leave the egr valve but plug it off. oh yeah, the ecus from 5 speed accords are the same as auto accords, dont worry about changing it

^^^^agreed^^^^
although i used a t3 from a thunderbird and stock injector's and still ran a 14.2 at altitude.
when you tune with a wideband you want to stay at 12.5:1.
i would like to add normally an auto ecu runs the fuel table alittle more agressive than the manual.