PDA

View Full Version : my car wont shut off

mark_salad_bar
09-12-2007, 01:23 PM
89 card lx...ive had this car for years and never has it given me problems like this..i was driving to velero to put gas in her and everything was fine till i was leaving the parking lot ..then i noticed my battery light came on inside on the dash so when i get home and put it in netural its starts to rev up real high..so i pop the hood and close the carb flap by hand then it shut off..i did some inspecting and can find where the problem is coming from ..but i did notice alot of gas inside the carb and when i start it up it still revs around 3 thousand rpm and if i turn the key it wont turn off,...just alot of gas starts shouting out the top of the carb..and as for the battery light coming on ..i have no idea...Can anyone help me?...thanks

2oodoor
09-12-2007, 01:36 PM
good one.. lol... another possesed carb accord...

battery light, dunno, the same thing you would always check, you may have slung a belt. Your post starts out as"going to put gas in" that sounds like the car has been sitting for a while, has it?
if it was almost empty you could have sucked up some gunk from the bottom of the tank and now it has stuck the needle in the carb, explains the flooding. the runaway rpms are just par for the course on this car when everything is just not so so on the carb.

mark_salad_bar
09-12-2007, 01:42 PM
it hasnt been sitting ..its a daily driver ..it was kinda on empty..though..

EX-ileAccord
09-17-2007, 08:07 PM
You have eletrical problems some where. I would start at the alt, since that is what usuly causes the battery light to come on. As for the gas and the high rev is it possable that the choke is stuck?

AccordB20A
09-17-2007, 09:32 PM
You have eletrical problems some where. I would start at the alt, since that is what usuly causes the battery light to come on. As for the gas and the high rev is it possable that the choke is stuck?

i agree. must be your anti dieseling solenoid thats not working making it run when u turn it off so check your fuses

shepherd79
09-18-2007, 04:44 AM
first, Alternator problem is very simple, your ALTERNATOR IS DEAD. replace it.
second, if your carb is leaking from them top, you may have to rebuild the carb. It is very unlikely that large piece of dirt can get to carb since you have two fuel filters. you can rebuild the carb and it can will cost you as little as carb kit, some carb cleaner and your time. But it can be very expensive if you are going to pay someone. Most mechanics won't even touch our carbs. they are scared of them because of their complexity.
third, if you fix your carb problem the car will start to shut off like it should.

Silent_Hill
09-19-2007, 09:12 PM
yeah, well if your carb is spitting out gas, then the choke is all messed up (IMO), and then that would cause more gas to enter it, and more gas entering it, would count for the high rev. rebuild or replace the carb. battery light starts with the alternator, and then battery termnial wires (Check them for cuts, etc.), and then check main fuses under the hood.

AccordB20A
09-20-2007, 02:16 PM
invest in an EFI swap. all the how to should be on this website if u take the 3 days it takes to find it. carbs deserve large hammers thru them

MessyHonda
09-21-2007, 01:12 AM
invest in an EFI swap. all the how to should be on this website if u take the 3 days it takes to find it. carbs deserve large hammers thru them

that is what im thinking for my dx....today it only started for like 40 secs..then it died.

russiankid
09-21-2007, 03:41 AM
that is what im thinking for my dx....today it only started for like 40 secs..then it died.

Mine used to do that when the fuel pump wasn't putting out enough PSI. So i replaced the fuel pump and all my problems went away.

MessyHonda
09-21-2007, 09:13 AM
Mine used to do that when the fuel pump wasn't putting out enough PSI. So i replaced the fuel pump and all my problems went away.

the fuel pump has already been replaced...i just think it needs fresh fuel since its been siting for 3 months. il be nice and get it like 5 gal of 89 shell.