PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know a good cleaner for cleaning out the intake manifold???

YK86
09-14-2002, 09:54 PM
Like the title says, I will be cleaning out my intake manifold (off the car) to get all the carbon deposits and stuff off. I have some carb/metal cleaner but I'm curious to see if there is something else than can clean it just as good (plus this stuff is supposed to be very cancerous......). The carb/metal cleaner is nice since you don't have to scrub at all but I don't have a bucket big enough to fit the manifold even half way. And even if I did, there wouldn't be enough cleaner to soak it in. Thanks!

SQ is the SQUAD
09-15-2002, 03:41 PM
i always youe a spray can of carb cleaner to clean stuff. it works wonders. i like using it to clean my tools, it gets all the grease off fast. at autozone a can os carb cleaner is only like $1.20, i would get like 4 cans and spray that fukker down good. it comes with a straw like wd-40 so you can get down there good

shepherd79
09-15-2002, 04:22 PM
what about the engine cleaner?
it works for me.

YK86
09-16-2002, 01:42 PM
I tried everything I had in the garage like carb cleaner, engine desgreaser, Castrol Super Clean, and scrubbed as far as I can go internally but I coldn't get all of it off. It's about 75% clean but the #4 runner is still pretty black. Someone on here a while back recommended something you spray in and leave over night. I think it was Funstick???

smufguy
09-16-2002, 01:47 PM
what i used was supertech from walmart. yeah it was 99cents. it cleaned good. it was a carb cleaner and i used my wire brush to clean it out. u can also use the degreaser, but i wotn do it for my internals. also the valves are a nice things to clean out while u take the manifold out. a vaccuum would be a nice thing to clean out those flaky deposits out. u spray the carb cleaner and let it dry and the black shit from the valves just peel off once they are dry. pretty amazing. huh? by the way, u will also see that some are kinda rusted, like mine was, pretty weird.

shepherd79
09-16-2002, 04:39 PM
what about dremel and some wire brush on it.
than polish it.

YK86
09-16-2002, 05:18 PM
The manifold is for the B20 so it's seperated from the rest of the head with all the injectors, fuel rail, sensor, etc off of it. I'm going to port match my USDM TB to the JDM manifold so maybe when I hit the autostore for a grinding bit, they'll have something strong enough for getting the carbon off where I can't reach.

tatmark1
09-17-2002, 09:14 AM
methanol,this shit is best IMO, if u cant find it buy HEET in yellow bottle check label and make sure it is the one with just meth,try it it is cheap and i garauntee it will do the trick