PDA

View Full Version : 3G Prelude Magnesium Wheel

epic1400cs
09-15-2007, 02:11 PM
By chance I have managed to get hold of these.
They are not in the greatest condition but I am thinking of sending them for refurbishment in the future.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/3/web/783000-783999/783843_209_full.jpg
Are these common in US?
They seems to be optional parts for 3rd gen Prelude.

http://page11.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/n50814815

I check the weight of it using fisherman's scale(not very accurate).
It is only 25lb or so with used tire - pretty light for OEM wheel.

bubba g
09-15-2007, 03:00 PM
If anything else they would be good for homemade fireworks. Magnesium burns, so you don't find magnesium wheels much anymore for this reason. It will even burn underwater. Don't try to weld on them unless you are trained.

epic1400cs
09-15-2007, 03:43 PM
I was TIG welder before but I am lucky that I didn't try welding this one! :D
No, I wouldn't, I have found pro who can weld/refurb Mag wheel already.
Yeah, good point, that must be the reason we don't see mag wheel these days.
Will it burn at lower temp than tyres?

bubba g
09-18-2007, 08:27 AM
Magnesium burns at 1250*F. Mainly the filings from grinding or cutting are dangerous. It melts at 1202*F so you can see how unstable it can be to weld. I did some research and it looks like tires burn at close to the same temp.

By the way the rims look good. :thumbup:

A18A
09-18-2007, 08:35 AM
wow id like to set one on fire & throw it in water just to see what happens lol, not saying the wheels are ugly or anything, just think it would be funny seeing a burning wheel in water :)

epic1400cs
09-18-2007, 09:24 AM
So, as far as I am driving the car below the temperature of tyre melting, I would be ok - in Japan the temperture would go that high but in UK there is no hope for that, hahaha.
Having said that, there are still many sports mag wheels for rally use on the market in Europe.
I believe I would be fine if I carry extinguisher in the boot (actually I do) and not sand off the wheel with power tool while we are doing BBQ.

2oodoor
09-18-2007, 11:11 AM
yep you can even drill into it and get it hot, walk off and the whole thing will be an ash when you come back, seen it done on VW cases.

HondaBoy
09-18-2007, 11:19 AM
yeah those are a good find man. i dont believe north america got any type of wheels like that on the prelude. i dont think they were optional over here either. those are definately some keepers though.

BITESIZE
09-18-2007, 11:34 AM
How much do they weigh?

HondaBoy
09-18-2007, 11:44 AM
yeah, how much do they weigh? my aluminium prelude 14's are 34 lbs with tires mounted.

Steve_Si
09-18-2007, 12:15 PM
I've seen similar ones, except the spokes are slightly longer, slightly recessed and completely straight. Very rare sight, and only on JDM 3G ludes around here.

2ndGenGuy
09-18-2007, 12:22 PM
How much do they weigh?

yeah, how much do they weigh? my aluminium prelude 14's are 34 lbs with tires mounted.

:D DUM DA DUM!!! :wave:

I check the weight of it using fisherman's scale(not very accurate).
It is only 25lb or so with used tire - pretty light for OEM wheel.

HondaBoy
09-18-2007, 02:47 PM
appft! durrrrrrr :bong:

these are the ones i have. they're just chillin, low key like a mofo. makes people not able to distinguish the car sometimes.
http://www.capitalwheels.com/store/product_image.php?imageid=30251

epic1400cs
09-20-2007, 01:03 AM
Thanks for the comments and clearing up 2ndGenGuy.
The lightness is physically noticeable.
When I collect them with tires on, I lifted one up to load it in the boot and I felt as if I can throw it, if you know what I mean.
I thought Hondaboy's Prelude alloy is also good understated design - look a bit similar to mine I thought.
So this mag wheel is more or less 9lb lighter than yours!?
One of my aerodeck friends in Japan also has the same wheel and he says with this wheel the suspension moves without rattles.
http://groups.google.co.jp/group/aerodeck/web/ca1ca3

cubert
09-20-2007, 07:35 PM
i think theyre junk..you should send them to me for further inspection. :lol:

buuut anyway...nice looking wheels

AccordEpicenter
09-20-2007, 08:21 PM
magnesium wheels are awesome, probably one of the highest strength to weight ratio your gonna find but they are prone to cracks around the lug holes from what i hear. I havent heard of too many wheels igniting into high heat fires but im sure if you tried to weld it or grind it your begging for serious trouble. You guys ever seen how much heat is given off by burning magnesium? Its bright white and very intense... Anyway nice wheels

AccordB20A
09-20-2007, 10:28 PM
those wheels look like the type that we see on the legends around here (but the stut pattern is different) aint seen any oem honda wheels in magnesuim before but yeah cool

epic1400cs
09-21-2007, 12:49 AM
i think theyre junk..you should send them to me for further inspection. :lol:
yeah, if you refurb em with powder coat and send back to me for free, hahaha :deal:

epic1400cs
09-21-2007, 12:51 AM
You guys ever seen how much heat is given off by burning magnesium? Its bright white and very intense... Anyway nice wheels
I remember they used magnesium for flash light in photography before electric flash light is invented.

MessyHonda
09-21-2007, 01:49 AM
magnesium wheels are awesome, probably one of the highest strength to weight ratio your gonna find but they are prone to cracks around the lug holes from what i hear. I havent heard of too many wheels igniting into high heat fires but im sure if you tried to weld it or grind it your begging for serious trouble. You guys ever seen how much heat is given off by burning magnesium? Its bright white and very intense... Anyway nice wheels

i remember we had to do a test in chem class and that thing burned a hole in the ground.

thegreatdane
09-21-2007, 05:46 AM
So, as far as I am driving the car below the temperature of tyre melting, I would be ok - in Japan the temperture would go that high but in UK there is no hope for that, hahaha.
Having said that, there are still many sports mag wheels for rally use on the market in Europe.
I believe I would be fine if I carry extinguisher in the boot (actually I do) and not sand off the wheel with power tool while we are doing BBQ.

looool haha, yeah you better be careful or they might combust spontaneously

looks like another JDM only part.

epic1400cs
09-21-2007, 06:32 AM
looool haha, yeah you better be careful or they might combust spontaneously

looks like another JDM only part.
JDM parts only good for north European weather, hehehe j/k