PDA

View Full Version : 1990 accord cooling fans, turn on at engine shut off

1stchild
09-17-2007, 10:07 AM
hi i am new here and searched around to see if i could find the answer. i think i was close, but not sure. so here goes.

i have a 1990 accord ex (just hit 195K) and after being out in the desert for a week i came home and had to of course wash my car (it sat all week). while in the desert i disconnected the battery to make sure it didnt drain it. when i got home i drove the dirty car for several days after getting back before washing it. then i washed my car and sprayed the engine with engine cleaner and hosed off the engine (might be where the problem started). now every time i drive and stop the fan comes on and stays on for quite some time until it ends up draining the battery. any ideas what could be causing it?

the battery: i think it may be approaching 5 years old. it did have some corrosion on the terminals which i have cleaned off. i have also replaced the cable connectors and check levels of fluids. battery could be dying but...

the fan: passenger side fan is the only fan that turns on after engine shut off. i do have A/C (doesnt work well so i never use it)

i have check fuses, wires, nothing seems out of place. i also drained and replaced coolant.

i think i saw somewhere that there is a box under the passenger seat that may have resistors or diodes in it i will check today.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks
Steve

2drSE-i
09-17-2007, 10:15 AM
its normal. Its just because the motor is still hot and its cooling down the coolant. Totally wouldnt worry about it.

EDIT: OH it drains the battery completely? ya thats not good, maybe you fried the temp sensor on the rad fan? gotta cover up electric stuff before you spray in the engine bay. Im sure its a cheap fix

2drSE-i
09-17-2007, 10:17 AM
oh btw, cb7tuner.com will probably be able to help you more than we can, 90-93 accords are 4th gens, were more 3rd gen guys. We can help you some, but were not experts :-D

1stchild
09-17-2007, 10:34 AM
ahhh really.. i didnt know they were 4th gen, thanks for the advice. yea, when the fan comes on it just goes and goes and goes until the battery gets too low..

2drSE-i
09-17-2007, 11:08 AM
sounds like a temp sensor then. it may stop happening if you didnt short the sensor completely out. hopefully its just temporary

1stchild
09-17-2007, 12:58 PM
thank you so much, i will give it a shot and try the cb7tuner forum. thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

2drSE-i
09-17-2007, 01:34 PM
np man, and stick around if youd like, nobody is gonna tell you to get the hell out or anything lol. well answer your questions anyway.

Civic Accord Honda
09-17-2007, 01:59 PM
werid after i sparyed my engine out too the fans started turning on after i took the key out lol
there sopose to comeon and stay on for 15mins in a 3rd gen if there on longer then 15mins then u may have a problem but if ur battery dies b-4 15mins then your battery is shot and should be replaced

1stchild
09-17-2007, 02:12 PM
yea battery dying is totally possible, just odd timing after hosing engine off. plus i dont want to go and buy a new battery and have it drain a new battery, if the problem isnt the battery. thanks for all your help

2drSE-i
09-17-2007, 02:29 PM
the battery isnt the problem as long as it charges and you arent having any other trouble. the fan is supposed to turn on, it just shouldnt stay on forever lol.