PDA

View Full Version : engine problems.....!!! (what should i do?)

nomocars23
09-17-2007, 08:26 PM
ok first of all when starting my car after it has sat for a day or two the car has problems .... even when i pump the peddle once or twice..... then the rpms are either very high up around 2300 or very low around 800 ... WUTS UP WITH THAT?
also i smell a rotten egg/gas smell after driving on the highway or driving for long periods of time ( longer than 10 mins....) ive checked for leaks and i cant find anything...
Lastly i have occasional run ons after i turn the car off = the smell again.
i checked with the local JiffyLube and they say i need a "Fuel System Cleaning"(http://jiffylube.com/autoservices/fuelsystemservices.aspx)

What should i do?

Hoy_LDT
09-17-2007, 10:21 PM
you gotta have something stuck in the inlet of intake? only way the car would fluctuate rpm like that or its either something is in your gasoline that died? maybe a prank...?because im a aircraft mechanic and the only way we get fluctuattions on jets is either something in the inlet...maybe a bird...or something in the fuel....

fuel lines clogged then when u force it it goes threw...then pistons burn gas and stuff in it and makes nasty smell...then it gets clogged again process keeps going...maybe you do need to flush your system...ahaha thats my 2cents...sorry if i confused you

Oldblueaccord
09-18-2007, 01:03 AM
Rotten eggs is the cat is prolly plugged. Usually this is from the car running to rich or you have your foot to the floor for about 5 mins. straight.

Assuming your car is Fuel injected I would look and see if you have a code in the ECU (EFI section sticky) and do a tune up plugs,wires,cap ,rotor and fuel filter air cleaner just to start.

Our cars are known for not so good idle but yours does not sound correct.

wp

ghettogeddy
09-18-2007, 01:05 AM
Rotten eggs is the cat is prolly plugged. Usually this is from the car running to rich or you have your foot to the floor for about 5 mins. straight.

Assuming your car is Fuel injected I would look and see if you have a code in the ECU (EFI section sticky) and do a tune up plugs,wires,cap ,rotor and fuel filter air cleaner just to start.

Our cars are known for not so good idle but yours does not sound correct.

wp

its a dx if i were u check to make sure u have no vacume leaks and cheak the primary and secondary venturis in the carb

Oldblueaccord
09-18-2007, 01:09 AM
I thought 89 all were FI but it guess i gotta learn someday?

wp

ghettogeddy
09-18-2007, 01:11 AM
I thought 89 all were FI but it guess i gotta learn someday?

wp

umm only lxi and sei are fi lol dx and lx no matter the year are carbed

2oodoor
09-18-2007, 03:48 AM
you gotta have something stuck in the inlet of intake? only way the car would fluctuate rpm like that or its either something is in your gasoline that died? maybe a prank...?because im a aircraft mechanic and the only way we get fluctuattions on jets is either something in the inlet...maybe a bird...or something in the fuel....

fuel lines clogged then when u force it it goes threw...then pistons burn gas and stuff in it and makes nasty smell...then it gets clogged again process keeps going...maybe you do need to flush your system...ahaha thats my 2cents...sorry if i confused you

ok Im not flying anywhere, ever
some poor birds have must have a nest in the air box and the eggs got sucked into the engine, how awefull

t

bubba g
09-18-2007, 07:28 AM
ok Im not flying anywhere, ever
some poor birds have must have a nest in the air box and the eggs got sucked into the engine, how awefull

t
:rofl: That would explain the "Rotten Egg" smell:lol:

On a more serious note, The egg smell can be either a bad converter or fuel ratio problems. A rich condition will cause the cat to work too hard making it heat up. In this case since the cat can't keep up it belches out the rotten smell from the incomplete chemical reaction. A lean condition is just as bad, It causes everything to get hotter, overheating the cat which starts a viscious cycle of everything getting hot.

But, you need to first find out the root cause of your problems. I would check the EGR valve, it can cause idle problems as well as cat oveheating due to the dillution of the air/fuel mix. Since you are having the problems mainly after sitting for a couple days, let it sit, and before you do anything take the air cleaner off and watch the choke and throttle blades to make sure nothing is sticking. It may be best to have a buddy help you with this.

The dieseling(run on) can be caused by carbon buildup, a hot motor, sticking choke, and possibly... a plugged cat. I say possibly because I have seen a few cars have bad cats that were dieseling and I don't know if the cat caused the run on or other problems caused run on and cat failure. Most of those cars, the people didn't have the money to fix, sothey masked the problem by just fixing the cat which eventually went bad again.

Hope this isn't too long or confusing but I hope it helps.

bubba g
09-18-2007, 07:41 AM
I also see you don't have a ton of miles. You would probably benefit from a decarbonization of some sort. Seafoam seems to be the popular one here, but there are others. My favorite is "GM Top Engine Cleaner". It works awesome, we used it all the time at the dealership. It was always fun to see the reaction of customers as you take off down the road fogging the entire highway as your raping their car to blow all the crap out. If your cat is indeed plugged I would do it during the replacement process with the cat off, so that you don't blow all that crap into a new converter.

nomocars23
09-18-2007, 09:09 PM
thanks ytpu guys have been alot of help

mushroom_toy
09-19-2007, 10:04 AM
thanks ytpu guys have been alot of help

You cramping my style man with your sig. Lol, jk. :welcome:

-$MOKIN-
09-19-2007, 07:33 PM
vacumn leak

Civic Accord Honda
09-19-2007, 07:40 PM
my car also has a werid idle and has the rotten eggs in the cat lol

mushroom_toy
09-19-2007, 07:45 PM
You didnt have to change your sig man, i was just messing.

tuxdreamerx
09-30-2007, 10:40 AM
my car has a crazy weird idle too. but no rotten eggs I guess due to the fact I have no cat lol