PDA

View Full Version : Noise when cool outside only, consistent with wheel speed

Fataliac
09-18-2007, 09:29 AM
Hey all, I have an 86 accord dx 5 spd with a noise.

Recent work that's been done:

- New front ds axle
- New brake pads/rotors up front
- New caps/plugs/rotor
- New Fuel Filters
- Fuel pump fairly new
- timing belt fairly new
- clutch fairly new
- I rebuilt the carb 2 wks ago

In the mornings on my way to work, I hear a clearly audible "squeaky-rubbing" sound up front which is consistent with my wheel speed all the time until around lunch time when the outside temp is warmer. If I sleep in late and go for a drive when it's already warmer outside and the sun's out, there's no sound.

-I feel nothing at all in the drive train, or any corresponding "vibration" to go with the noise. eventually, the sound goes completely away.

Of course I've tried to pinpoint the location, but here's the odd thing, I hear the noise from inside the car ONLY. If I roll down my window and stick my head out as I'm driving, I can't hear a thing. So I roll the window back and the closest I can locate it is somewhere behind the dash (but not right behind the guages), maybe near my feet or above.

-Pushing in the clutch has NO effect on the sound.
-Pushing on the brakes have NO effect on the sound.
-noise stops when wheels stop
-only outside temp seems to affect it (in fact it's a tad louder on a colder-than-usual morning)

-So i started thinking that the noise is caused by something which "warms up" (like a bearing), but I've had wheel bearings go bad on me, and you can DEFINITELY hear the noise from outside the car (if it's squeaking on ya), and you can usually feel it through the frame.
And even after getting off the interstate (when all moving parts should be plenty warmed up) I can still hear the noise when I slow back down.

-if it was still making the noise when I parked it in the morning, It'll be gone when I get back in to drive home in the afternoon, no noise, even though it hadn't been driven in the meantime (plenty of time for any worn bearings to contract).

-So I had another thought here, grease/lubricants also can "warm up" and I started thinking that this noise could just be coming from the speedo cable.
As far as I know, that cable spins consistent with tranny output. Which could account for the noise relation to wheel speed. I've have speedo cables bind up on me, but the noise was different (a spinning buzz, right behind the instrument cluster, and it was a totally different vehicle). Perhaps in this case, the grease is just sticky enough to cause a little bind and noise further down the cable, without affecting my guage. (btw, I have seen the speedo needle wobble a few times at low speeds, but hardly enough to even notice)

-the speedo does NOT move erratically in relation to the noise.

other than the annnoying sound, which goes away until the next morning, car runs great. I'd like any thoughts/comments yall might have.....maybe I'm missing something else it could be.

Thanks

ghettogeddy
09-18-2007, 10:11 AM
the sound is ur speedo cable it needs to be lubricated or replaced or ignored lol mine does the same thing till it warms up

Oldblueaccord
09-18-2007, 11:23 AM
Well you pretty much covered everthing. Try the dust shield rubbing against the rotor.That happens sometimes after you work on a car.

Also you can unhook the speedometer cable and see if the noise is not there when its cold. It gives you a ECU code but its not harmful short term.

wp

bubba g
09-18-2007, 04:38 PM
Fataliac, Great Post. Very well laid out and very informative. That helps alot.

Like Oldblue said disconnect the cable from the tranny and see if the noise is still there.

Fataliac
09-19-2007, 04:10 AM
Thanks alot for your replies! As far as I can tell, it doesn't seem to be the brake dust sheild. I'm certain it's the speedo cable now. (relief) The noise doesn't affect the operation of the speedo, so replacement isn't necessary. Guess I'll just disconnect the cable and spray it with some silicone if the sound gets any worse.
It's good to know that my wheel's not about to fly off or anything (I had a rear wheel fly off at 70mph -bearing failure, melted axle and retainer, had to spend all week in junkyards to find new parts, not to mention narrowly avoiding a grisly death!) lol

Thanks again!!

Blkblurr
09-19-2007, 08:09 AM
Ths same thing happened to mine and a little grease fixed the problem. By the way, that was a great post. I wish more people did that. Welcome to the board. :cheers:

2oodoor
09-19-2007, 09:47 AM
Fataliac, Great Post. Very well laid out and very informative. That helps alot.

Like Oldblue said disconnect the cable from the tranny and see if the noise is still there.

yeah, no kidding.... we should use that as a template format for describing problems. Great job of communicating Fataliac:)
BTW did the wheel on your Accord come off?

2drSE-i
09-19-2007, 10:03 AM
theres a noise in my car. Someone help me!

haha glad its resolved

Oldblueaccord
09-19-2007, 12:04 PM
Thanks alot for your replies! As far as I can tell, it doesn't seem to be the brake dust sheild. I'm certain it's the speedo cable now. (relief) The noise doesn't affect the operation of the speedo, so replacement isn't necessary. Guess I'll just disconnect the cable and spray it with some silicone if the sound gets any worse.
It's good to know that my wheel's not about to fly off or anything (I had a rear wheel fly off at 70mph -bearing failure, melted axle and retainer, had to spend all week in junkyards to find new parts, not to mention narrowly avoiding a grisly death!) lol

Thanks again!!

Hey dont laugh I had a little squeek I could hear with the window down. I got wild on it and changed everything in the drivers side front end. I could still hear the squeek. I need to drive to FL. so I took it to a Honda place and let him drive it. We talked a little while we were driving and he ask me when the speedo started to flutter. It dawned on me then "the same time the squeek started" :Owned:.

Another thing I was just going to post on this is I dont think I have ever done anything to the rear bearings ever. I might have greased the outside one when I redid the shoes. I wonder whats going on in there.

wp

Fataliac
09-19-2007, 06:16 PM
The wheel that flew off on me was in my 77 ford pick-up. When the axle started coming out of the differential and I lost drive power, I started pulling over to the side. That's when the wheel(with the axle still attached) flew out. But the god-send was, the momentum of pulling over to the right (it was the rear ds wheel) actually kept me up on three wheels till I was far enough over to the side and out of everyone's way. It could've been very grim indeed, but fortunately, the molten axle/wheel didn't impale any other cars (got hung in the interstate divider fence about 100 yards back on the other side) and my girlfriend and I walked away from it without a scratch. A month and 3 junkyards later, my truck was back on the road. A good outcome for all!
Sorry for talking about Fords on the Honda site... lol. But so far, my accord's been doing pretty good. (gets 3 times the gas mileage!!) Plus, I got it for free! (just cost of registration/repairs I did) Only had it for a month. I'm still feeling it out for any new "surprises" (It was a friend's old car and had been sitting for a couple years) A few little oil leaks...front seal and where the dizzy meets the cyl head -not bad. Needs front control arm bushing/balljoints too. But I've been driving easy on the suspension till I get to em. To be honest, I've been pretty impressed with this car. It's a pleasure to drive. And this web site has been a tremendous help!

P.S. Check your wheel bearings, they can really give you a bad day, no matter what you're driving!!!

w261w261
09-20-2007, 06:31 AM
I was driving down a parkway in my '67 Lincoln convert a few years ago, and heard this rubbing sound. I pulled over and discovered that the right rear wheel and axle had come out of the diff, and the only thing that saved me was the low fender cutout.

StressSolutions
09-23-2007, 05:48 AM
Sorry for talking about Fords on the Honda site... lol. But so far, my accord's been doing pretty good. (gets 3 times the gas mileage!!)

We fillled the tanks on the pickup to haul the boat to storage yesterday, wife said that I was not allowed to go back to driving the pickup full time. 400 miles on 26 gallons = $75. Honda will go the same distance on half that usually.

My brother lost a wheel that way, on his Int'l Scout, I think.