PDA

View Full Version : Done valve stem seals now have oil leak.

mushroom_toy
09-18-2007, 12:29 PM
Well I did the valve stem seals, and in the process I guess I fucked up the cam seal, so its leaking around that I beleive. Well i did the valve stem seals but my car still smokes on the highway, and now does it when I crank it up too. Replaced the pcv valve today as well. Guess I'm just fucked and my engine is too old.

lostforawhile
09-18-2007, 12:39 PM
Well I did the valve stem seals, and in the process I guess I fucked up the cam seal, so its leaking around that I beleive. Well i did the valve stem seals but my car still smokes on the highway, and now does it when I crank it up too. Replaced the pcv valve today as well. Guess I'm just fucked and my engine is too old.
did you put them on the correct valves? it's easy to mix up an exaust and intake. there are also a number of honda seals with almost the same part number,and they aren't interchangeable. theres only a thousaneth of an inch difference but that allows oil by the seal. smoking when you start the car is def a seal problem. when the car sits,oil above the valves can seep down past them and pool in the engine. even if your guides are worn, the seal should keep oil from seeping. when i got mine from the engine builder here,there were almost twenty different seals listed from 86-89. you need to do a wet compression test to determine if you have a head or a ring problem. also you should have just done the cam seal while you were in there,it's easy. i should get together with you and take a look at it one day.

mushroom_toy
09-18-2007, 12:44 PM
did you put them on the correct valves? it's easy to mix up an exaust and intake. there are also a number of honda seals with almost the same part number,and they aren't interchangeable. theres only a thousaneth of an inch difference but that allows oil by the seal. smoking when you start the car is def a seal problem. when the car sits,oil above the valves can seep down past them and pool in the engine. even if your guides are worn, the seal should keep oil from seeping. when i got mine from the engine builder here,there were almost twenty different seals listed from 86-89. you need to do a wet compression test to determine if you have a head or a ring problem. also you should have just done the cam seal while you were in there,it's easy.

Cam seal was already done by someone else only about 6000 miles ago....I kinda fucked it up and now its leaking. Im gonna end up doing it here in a couple days. As for the seals Theres no way I could have mixed them up as there were 4with metal coatings (exhaust) and 8 others (intake). As for the part numbers it was the only seal set listed at slacks/completes so thats the one i used I did ask multiple questions because i read yalls advice but they assured me this was the only set they had both in hardcopy and on computer. I dont know what to do. Should I take the seals off, and get oem seals? I really dont want to do that bs, because replacing them once was a bitch. And yeah sometimes I think I need some other opinions. Stuff just doesnt seem to be going right. XD

lostforawhile
09-18-2007, 12:55 PM
Cam seal was already done by someone else only about 6000 miles ago....I kinda fucked it up and now its leaking. Im gonna end up doing it here in a couple days. As for the seals Theres no way I could have mixed them up as there were 4with metal coatings (exhaust) and 8 others (intake). As for the part numbers it was the only seal set listed at slacks/completes so thats the one i used I did ask multiple questions because i read yalls advice but they assured me this was the only set they had both in hardcopy and on computer. I dont know what to do. Should I take the seals off, and get oem seals? I really dont want to do that bs, because replacing them once was a bitch. And yeah sometimes I think I need some other opinions. Stuff just doesnt seem to be going right. XD
never believe someopne when they say it's the only set,it's probably the only set they list, but that doesn't mean it's right. you can't go wrong with oem on that. i would have done the same,but the nearest dealer is 40 miles one way. since we have a reputable engine builder, i got them from them. do a wet compression check to check for worn rings, i'm going by you know how to do a standard compression check. perform a standard one first for a baseline, then squirt a teaspoon of oil into the cyl you are testing and note the reading. if the reading goes up a lot,you have worn rings or cyl. bores and thats your problem, if it doesn't rise a lot,you have problems in the head. a lot of times the bottom end is so good on these engines,that all you need to do is pull the head and have it overhauled.

mushroom_toy
09-18-2007, 02:54 PM
Yeah I've already done a dry test, but i still need to do a wet test. I dont have the tools though, so i have to wait until i talk to my friend.

nskforlife
09-18-2007, 03:12 PM
ya man, i read in the chiltons manual that theres 2 different sets of seals. 1 for intake and and 1 for exhaust.

like he said, you can't go wrong with oem. just make sure you put them on in the right valve guides. if it helps you out at all valve guides were like a squeegee.
like he said do a wet compression test on them and see where your motor stands. and good luck.

mushroom_toy
09-18-2007, 03:27 PM
ya man, i read in the chiltons manual that theres 2 different sets of seals. 1 for intake and and 1 for exhaust.

like he said, you can't go wrong with oem. just make sure you put them on in the right valve guides. if it helps you out at all valve guides were like a squeegee.
like he said do a wet compression test on them and see where your motor stands. and good luck.

Lost meant sets of the seals themselves. Supposedly there are many sets available between the 86-89 model years.

bubba g
09-18-2007, 04:26 PM
Hey, sorry to hear it didn't work for you. :sad2:

Well like the the Three Stooges always said "If at first you don't succeed, keep on suckin till you do succeed":D

88Accord-DX
09-18-2007, 06:12 PM
Can't go wrong with OEM, take the last 8 digits off your VIN & go to the local stealer. After you fix your cam seal & install OEM stem seals, compression test it & write the numbers down. When you go to do a "WET" test & squirt 2 tablespoons of oil in the cylinders. ROTATE the crankshaft bolt around TWICE to evenly disperse the oil, or your readings will be inaccurate. Test one cylinder at a time with oil. Compression readings that rise after a wet test indicate worn rings /or bores.
EDIT- Also the compression & wet test needs to be done with the engine warmed up to operating temp. Generally, dry compression test shouldn't vary more than 20 p.s.i. between all readings. Wet test that rise more than 30% is cause for concern too.

Hauntd ca3
09-21-2007, 02:17 AM
To find out if you're motor is getting stuffed, get a cylinder leakage test done, More widely known as a leak down test. Takes abit longer than a simple comp test but results will tell you where any wear is and how bad it is. anything more than 20% leakage and its time for a rebuild.