PDA

View Full Version : Project H22a1 swap

Vector
09-18-2007, 09:14 PM
anyhow i recent found.... get ready.. i had to call it because i thought it was to good to be good to be true...

but i found a 1998 H22A1 w/5spd tranny for 500 bucks....o...m...g.... .. ... . .:wtf: 500 bucks....

ok ok.. just......alittle excited, but what ever.... i went and looked at it.. and it is infact(BOING!) an real life h22a1... with transmission

he siad the motor was running before they bought it for the kids civic and then realized.... we have no fucking clue where to start or what to do with it... so decided to sell it 6months later, cuz he needs space for other shit.

so they put it up last night on castanet(local homepage with classifieds)

so ok... he didnt say a complete swap.. but fuck it.. i got a few months to piece it together right....

i still need:

dizzy
ecu with some wires
mounts that i can cut up
half ass axles
down pipe for exhaust altho it look likes it has something after market on it..

oh yea... he even threw in the the engine stand....

i'm so fucking excited.......... thank god for spell check or this wouldn't make any sense.
i'm gonna get another car i think for this one... i will keep you guys posted... i'm hoping to find another 3g

holyshitihavetocalmdown

A18A
09-18-2007, 09:18 PM
thats awesome :thumbup: free engine stand is also good stuff :D

BITESIZE
09-18-2007, 09:20 PM
Pictures please!

Vanilla Sky
09-18-2007, 09:20 PM
Great to hear! Out of all of the members that we've had come through with claims that they were going to put an h22 in their cars, I believe you the most. You have the drive and the knowledge to get one wedged in there.

Do you plan on modifying a kit, or do you plan to mod stock mounts?

Vector
09-18-2007, 09:36 PM
Great to hear! Out of all of the members that we've had come through with claims that they were going to put an h22 in their cars, I believe you the most. You have the drive and the knowledge to get one wedged in there.

same routine as i did with the b18.. use the stock engine mounts and change the mounts in the car.

now that i've done the b18... this should be easier, i'm thinkin i might put this one in the se-i instead.

i'm pretty happy with the b18 since i put the itb's on it... just theres always somthing better... this motor with my itb's on it could amount to somthing cool.

i'll grab some picks tomorow when i pick it up... it was to late to go back an get the truck..

snoopyloopy
09-18-2007, 10:07 PM

x2. at first, when i saw the thread title on the main forum, i thought "oh no, not another one!" i was so relieved to see it was a credible person posting. can't wait to see it up and roaring!

Vector
09-18-2007, 10:35 PM
yea... i will get pics of the engine tomorow for you guys.. but i hvae to make up my mind in what car i want to put it in.... i've put alot of work into the hatch.. and pretty happy with it now...

i have my 89se-i which i'm thinkin of swapin.. but its auto and the wife drives it

AccordB20A
09-18-2007, 10:45 PM
hahaha yeah shd be mint to see a working one. also good to hear how your nt gunna keep it stock

Vector
09-18-2007, 10:47 PM
i think shed be alittle pissed.... she cant drive stick let alone stay in her own lane(sorry julie... lol)

MessyHonda
09-18-2007, 11:27 PM
oh man....i need to bring you out to cali so you can swap my car...haha

good stuff...and great deal. i wish i had all the knowledge that you have with cars.

Vector
09-19-2007, 01:03 PM
couple pics of the engine here (http://www.kelownaimports.com/?page_id=290)

thats about as far as i gotten... i cross the tranny codes and i dont think that transmissino belongs to that motor... if not... no biggy i will just get a 4g accord tranny. reasons for believing this:

its to small.
uses shift rods instead of cables.

Vector
09-19-2007, 06:06 PM
on that note... i was correct about the transmission... it has electronic speed sensor, hydro clutch, and rod selector.... doesnt fit the h22, doesnt fit the b18... only option left is a d series.

so its trannyless... which is fine.. was gonna use a f22 transmission anyway for the longer gears....

did a leakdown.... 2 cyls are alright... 2 arent....

so the saying goes... if its to good to be true.. it most likely is..

but wait... for me to piece just the engine together as parts.... still more expensive than 500 bucks..... so i'm gonna rebuild it for some decent power...

300hp unreasonable n/a ?

MessyHonda
09-19-2007, 06:07 PM
300 NA? hope you plan on building that H.

Vector
09-19-2007, 08:16 PM
heres what i've got planned:

head shaved,
decked block
dart sleeves
forged pistons/rods
balance everything.

edit: forgot to mention cams, and the fact that i'm trying to keep it a daily driver.

Vector
09-21-2007, 10:50 AM
alittle update:

plans have changed alittle. we thought it would be alittle fun to mix it up alittle...

my current 88dx/b18a will get its last race in vernon this weekend, which will have the engine pulled and swaped into oldTimer2gS 2nd gen accord(that thing should fly pretty good with the itb's)

on completion of that project we will imediately begin to piece my DX back together AGAIN with the h22a1... just in time for ice racing season.

so what ya think of that. since this is a 2 for 1 project, i will be posting everything here.

Bglad420
09-21-2007, 11:07 AM
my current 88dx/b18a will get its last race in vernon this weekend, .

Mt. Vernon WA????

forrest89sei
09-21-2007, 11:11 AM
alittle update:

plans have changed alittle. we thought it would be alittle fun to mix it up alittle...

my current 88dx/b18a will get its last race in vernon this weekend, which will have the engine pulled and swaped into oldTimer2gS 2nd gen accord(that thing should fly pretty good with the itb's)

on completion of that project we will imediately begin to piece my DX back together AGAIN with the h22a1... just in time for ice racing season.

so what ya think of that. since this is a 2 for 1 project, i will be posting everything here.

Looking Forward to it! :thumbup:

LX-incredible
09-21-2007, 11:24 AM
Awesome! Take some pictures of the process.

Vector
09-21-2007, 12:07 PM
Mt. Vernon WA????

sorry. Vernon BC, Canada

MessyHonda
09-21-2007, 01:56 PM
sounds like a deal. now you will be the 2nd h22 swaped accord in canada.

Vector
09-21-2007, 02:37 PM
sounds like a deal. now you will be the 2nd h22 swaped accord in canada.

wheres the other?

nskforlife
09-21-2007, 03:02 PM
Tell me how easy it is to make the mounts... i have a donor 3g at a friends house and a 2 h-deuce-deuce's sitting at his house and a welder...

and if i go thru with it, haha i'm calling this asshole who thinks his shit dont stink and telling him i just got a cam and to put some money down on a 50kick. haha (he has a gsr coupe he bought swapped~gayfers..)

Vector
09-21-2007, 09:24 PM
my biggest problem isnt really mounting the engine... its gettin stuff like axles...

i could buy there h -> b series mounts and drop the h22 into my car tomorow, but i'm not going to because i dont want to buy the odd length axles.

i found another guide on the net on how to swap one of these engines into a teg/eg and it appears again, that i dont need to get an axle kit, or any made..
the guide states i can use the f/h22 tranny joints on teg axles... so i should be able to do this no prob...

i will keep you guys posted... this sunday is the last race for this car with the b18...once the b18 is in oldTimer2gS accord, then i will proceed with the h22 in mine(why i do this when its fucking cold out, i will never know).

i've been able to figure out how to mount the b series easily... dont see why i cant with the h22... i will be mounting it before i rebuild it so i know for sure i can use this motor without thinking twice..

MessyHonda
09-22-2007, 01:04 AM
wheres the other?

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51616

hope the pics and videos are up. he has not been online in a while

Hazwan
09-22-2007, 05:35 AM
remember to post tons of pics!

Vector
09-24-2007, 11:08 AM
i've decided as well to build a custom drag bar w/ engine tq mount to replace the front cross member in my car, this will not only allow more space for the h22. it will be stronger and allow me to pretty much run any exhaust i wish, and eliminate whats left for wheel hop.

material base will be 2"x2" 3mm thick boxed steel. should be beefy enough.

also going to employ adjustable uca's to fix my camber issue. its really noticeable with 17" rims... weird.

Vector
09-25-2007, 09:05 AM
so yesterday was dropping off a bunch of old crap at an auto recycler and noticed he had a 4g accord lx and a 2g teg rs, i went and asked the guy what he would want if i could take a bunch of stuff off the 4g and the spindles off the 2g... he siad he wouldnt want much, so i told him i had a parts car that needed to be gone and he siad we could take what ever we wanted off the cars in trade, we get a bunch of free stuff and clean driveways.

pretty sweet, i've effectively completed my h22 swap thanks to him..

alt
starter
ps pump
wiring and ecu(needs to be chipped for vtec, or get a vtec controller?)
f22 diz(i have h22 case)
5spd tranny
cv's and int shaft
clutch and flywheel
cable shifter
peddle box
hydro cylinders
break booster and mastercylinder
front spindles(so i can use beefy axle, i have dpb rims) once i can find 4g rear disks, i will convert all around if possible.

i'm not worried about the gearing of the f22 trans vs h22, i kinda like to have the longer gears... will come in handy for autox... less shifting needed.

the 2g teg spindles are needed for oldTimer2gS accord for the b18 swap so we can use bseries axles.. or easily make hybrids since they are bigger spline than the 84's spindle.

i will get pics of the parts once i get them back to the garage.

bobafett
09-25-2007, 10:26 AM
congrats.

i too am considering a custom suspension piece to replace my crossmember so i have room for a huge downpipe. When you start planning this I definitely want to keep in the loop!

carotman
09-25-2007, 10:46 AM
The problem with longer gears is that the powerband of the H22A isn't meant for it. Each time you shift, you come below the VTEC point and you lose precious seconds there.

Tomisimo
09-25-2007, 01:48 PM
i've decided as well to build a custom drag bar w/ engine tq mount to replace the front cross member in my car, this will not only allow more space for the h22. it will be stronger and allow me to pretty much run any exhaust i wish, and eliminate whats left for wheel hop.

material base will be 2"x2" 3mm thick boxed steel. should be beefy enough.

also going to employ adjustable uca's to fix my camber issue. its really noticeable with 17" rims... weird.

Kan You make a HowTo thread about it later? I was thinking the same thing but I dont have a clue how to build it...
Thx...

Vector
09-26-2007, 12:53 PM
The problem with longer gears is that the powerband of the H22A isn't meant for it. Each time you shift, you come below the VTEC point and you lose precious seconds there.

wow... that long eh... nothing i cant fix by bumping the revs up so the next gear falls in that band... gonna be rebuilding it anyway

Vector
09-26-2007, 12:56 PM
Kan You make a HowTo thread about it later? I was thinking the same thing but I dont have a clue how to build it...
Thx...

i will probably get someone to help me with it... i can take the pictures if someone else wants to write it haha.

should be to hard to make... just gota weld some stuff and drill holes... some off the shelf parts from a hardware store like place...

i will keep you guys updated... after workish i have to go pick up the rest of the parts from the yard, 4g wiring and shifter cables, then i'm starting on oldTimer2gS b18 2g accord.... once i'm finished that, then comes the h22 project. the b18 has to be done for oct 7th, so this isn't gonna take forever(i hope).

btw 4g accord doner is a 91, so i guess i'm gonna be still in need of a ecu i guess.

Johnny O
09-28-2007, 06:05 PM
That is awesome another 3gee with a H motor in it. It was alot of work to put it in good luck. I got my in and cannot wai to race it.

Vector
09-28-2007, 09:59 PM
gota be shoehorned? ... hope its not as bad as trying to fit the b18 into the 2g... haha man... that was some rough work and some....

will get pics of that once its in.. hopin to get that all siad and done tomorow so i can start on my car... would like to get that done asap since its still insured...

edit ps. you rebuilt the front end of your car actually didnt you.... lol

bobafett
09-29-2007, 06:49 AM
Yeah i think Johnny O has a tube frame front end. :)

Johnny O
09-30-2007, 08:16 AM
Vector i have a smaller crank pulley for the h22, it will proably help with getting it in. It is aluminum if you are interested in it. The stock one is huge

deevergote
09-30-2007, 11:56 AM
I just got my LX-i hatch back (sold it last year, recovered it last week)

I have an H22 in my 4th gen, and most of another H22 in the basement (just need internals, basically)

I'm going to build the one that's in pieces for the 4th gen, and I'm thinking I might attempt to put the old one into the hatch. I've never done anything like that before, so it'll be interesting... I'd definitely love to see your progress, since I'm sure you'll be done before I even start!

Vector
10-01-2007, 08:15 AM
Vector i have a smaller crank pulley for the h22, it will proably help with getting it in. It is aluminum if you are interested in it. The stock one is huge

what ya lookin to get for it, i'm planning on running just the alt, maybe power steering if i can get the lines redone for the rack.

I just got my LX-i hatch back (sold it last year, recovered it last week)

I have an H22 in my 4th gen, and most of another H22 in the basement (just need internals, basically)

I'm going to build the one that's in pieces for the 4th gen, and I'm thinking I might attempt to put the old one into the hatch. I've never done anything like that before, so it'll be interesting... I'd definitely love to see your progress, since I'm sure you'll be done before I even start!

yea i hope to get the axles shortened for the 2g this week so i can finish the mounts for that.
its probably gonna be atleast 1-2 weeks before i start my car...

another thing thats going to prove interesting is the homemade hydro-cable converter.

edit: also got my hands on a chipped ecu over the weekend to... dont know the management yet.. once i get it, i will let yas know.

Johnny O
10-02-2007, 07:47 PM
I have to check and see what is on the pulley as for belts.

Johnny O
10-06-2007, 08:54 PM
The pulley has only alt. on it.

halxi
10-06-2007, 09:57 PM
Thats the OE header for the h22.

Does the tranny code start with MB or MA?

If it does, its an H trans, if it doesnt, its not.

If i remember right.

MA is non-lsd

MB is lsd.

Not sure what the USMD ATTS Prelude tranny code is however.

halxi
10-06-2007, 10:00 PM
so yesterday was dropping off a bunch of old crap at an auto recycler and noticed he had a 4g accord lx and a 2g teg rs, i went and asked the guy what he would want if i could take a bunch of stuff off the 4g and the spindles off the 2g... he siad he wouldnt want much, so i told him i had a parts car that needed to be gone and he siad we could take what ever we wanted off the cars in trade, we get a bunch of free stuff and clean driveways.

pretty sweet, i've effectively completed my h22 swap thanks to him..

alt
starter
ps pump
wiring and ecu(needs to be chipped for vtec, or get a vtec controller?)
f22 diz(i have h22 case)
5spd tranny
cv's and int shaft
clutch and flywheel
cable shifter
peddle box
hydro cylinders
break booster and mastercylinder
front spindles(so i can use beefy axle, i have dpb rims) once i can find 4g rear disks, i will convert all around if possible.

i'm not worried about the gearing of the f22 trans vs h22, i kinda like to have the longer gears... will come in handy for autox... less shifting needed.

the 2g teg spindles are needed for oldTimer2gS accord for the b18 swap so we can use bseries axles.. or easily make hybrids since they are bigger spline than the 84's spindle.

i will get pics of the parts once i get them back to the garage.

I would highly suggest trying this setup first:

OE Teg axles with a 90-93 accord half shaft, if it works sweet!

If that doesnt work, pickup a prelude halfshaft for the h22 and call hasport, get axles for an h22 in a civic (96-00) and you should be good to go.

When choosing the mounting location for your motor, try to get the axle openings in the trans to line up with the hub as close as possible, i shred CV's non stop in my H swapped civic because the motor sits back so far.

Johnny O
10-07-2007, 07:04 PM
Ha-sport makes a kit for the trans so you do not have to convert to hydro trans, you can still use the cable.

rudeludenotmean
10-07-2007, 09:22 PM
I would highly suggest trying this setup first:

OE Teg axles with a 90-93 accord half shaft, if it works sweet!

If that doesnt work, pickup a prelude halfshaft for the h22 and call hasport, get axles for an h22 in a civic (96-00) and you should be good to go.

When choosing the mounting location for your motor, try to get the axle openings in the trans to line up with the hub as close as possible, i shred CV's non stop in my H swapped civic because the motor sits back so far.

I Concur ... You will most likely need the LS shafts with the Accord Outer (unless you convert), and H22 Inners

Vector
10-08-2007, 09:35 PM
well, i'm going to run f22/ls axle hybrids. gonna stick with the f22 trans for now.

location.... well i gota cut my b series mount brackets and make new ones for the h22... before i can even think of a location. by the looks of the f22 trans to the b series trans they are about the same width so this swap should be relatively easy. i spend hours leveling the b series engine, i will do the same for the h22, last thing i want to have to do is to be swapping axles often. the hydro/cable conversion from hasport is an option, i'm not going to say i'm cheap. but there is no reason i couldn't do this whole project without having to by stuff like that.

deevergote
10-09-2007, 01:27 PM
Do you have a plan to overcome the rear crossmember problem yet, Vector? I look at Johnny O's car, and it's impressive... but that's way too much for me! :lol: I'm preparing to pull my A20A (well... BT) out still, so I'm way behind. I'm keeping an eye on your project, though! Stalling a bit, to see if I can follow your lead! :D If not, boosted A20A here we come. (but that's way off topic, so I'll stop there!)

halxi
10-09-2007, 06:33 PM
well, i'm going to run f22/ls axle hybrids. gonna stick with the f22 trans for now.

location.... well i gota cut my b series mount brackets and make new ones for the h22... before i can even think of a location. by the looks of the f22 trans to the b series trans they are about the same width so this swap should be relatively easy. i spend hours leveling the b series engine, i will do the same for the h22, last thing i want to have to do is to be swapping axles often. the hydro/cable conversion from hasport is an option, i'm not going to say i'm cheap. but there is no reason i couldn't do this whole project without having to by stuff like that.

its not so much leveling its aligning (front to rear) with the spindles.

As for the leveling itself, remember, the H leans back HARD compared to a B/D/A series engine.

Mine is at probably at least a 15* angle (but the valve cover is level)

Vector
10-09-2007, 11:41 PM
wow... thats quite abit... well as long as i can get the tranny as inline as possible with the car lowered as it will always be that way... i did the same thing with the b series.. they were flat inline with the hubs when it was done and driving....

is it bad for the engine to sit not like it does in the lude and drive like that?... i'm thinkin not to a certain point.

i assume engine will be a tight fit in between the frame rails?.. i haven't tried mine yet.. probably this weekend

halxi
10-10-2007, 04:54 PM
yes, its going to be a TIGHT fit and you might even have to hammer in the frame rails a little. My civic is wider than my accord (at the frame rails), and the rails of a civic have to be hammered on.

No, its not good to place the motor in another way. Honda designed it to work that way because its best for the setup (internally), and you need to try to keep that as close as possible.

It probably isnt quite 15* but ill get a picture, you can very clearly see it leans back quite a bit.

Vector
10-10-2007, 09:23 PM
thanks halxi, would love to see how it sits.

i just finished a crx/b17 swap with a friend, now i come to a 90 gs with a beautiful body that needs an engine, my b18 is going in that for my mom to drive. then i start the h22, i have pretty much everything except the ecu still.. waitin for it to get chipped and shipped.

i have a crazy idea for the h22, since i cant reuse my itbs cuz they will most likely be to small for the engine,(what ever size of engine the cbr 954 comes with). i decided to start fabbing my own itbs... using a20 throttle bodies... how you think that would sound when its running wot :eek:

once the gs is done... its full time on the accord.. want to have it done for the end of the months super slush auto-cross in vancouver.

Vector
10-16-2007, 09:07 PM
started bolting stuff on the h22 today, alt and ps pump, misc brackets. don't really see where the denting of the frame rails in the 3g come in since the alternator sits on the front of the engine and using a 4g accord under pulley and no ac so its kinda shallow.

with the mounts i'm going to use i should be able to set it up like the b18 doesn't look like i have to make any serious modifications to the car. could be very wrong on that actually. guess i really wont know till the engines in the car.

this weekend it looks like its gonna be it, still have no injectors or ecu... this looks like its going to be bastardized.

going to attempt it to start it with a obd1 b18 ecu, Field VTEC/AFC, f22 injectors w/msd 85psi fuel pump. hahaha if it runs i will definitely get some pics

on another note. i'm also fixing a 90 teg gs for ma. at first it looked like a head gasket. but after getting the head off.. there is a big fucking hole in the front of the block with #2 rod still sticking out. i will get some pics of that.. looks pretty impressive actually.

oh and the head gasket was fine... guess the kid wasnt bs'n me when he siad he ran it out of oil.

want to know how tough these b18a1's are.... it almost would still almost idle before i took it apart.

deevergote
10-17-2007, 04:31 AM
The F22 injectors might get it to start, but be very careful. The H22 uses 345cc injectors, the F22 uses 240cc... quite a difference.

As for the ECU... is it modified, or stock? If you can get ahold of a modified P28 ECU, I can send you a decent H22 map for it. I'd be wary of running smaller injectors AND the B18 ECU. The 4G Accord ECU does work, and would probably be a little better (they can be found quite cheap, at least around here!)

Vector
10-17-2007, 07:36 AM
yea, i will have to goto wreckin yard for an ecu... maybe i will find a couple 4g ecu's hopefully obd 1

i wasnt planning on driving it yet.. not until i get a new clutch/flywheel exhaust... just wanted to see if it will run...

Vector
11-06-2007, 09:46 PM
this projects been put on hold... options came up and i'm looking into them for the 3g. i will show you what my other option is....

other option (http://www.crvownersclub.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1696)