PDA

View Full Version : white smoke

dano89406
09-21-2007, 08:52 AM
I have a small amount of white smoke coming from the middle of the valve cover in between the 2 and 3 spark plugs when the engine hits idle temp.looks like it may be the exhaust manifold.oil and coolant looks good.also if you pull the oil fill cap there is smoke coming out of there to.

MessyHonda
09-21-2007, 09:25 AM
sounds like a blown headgasket. do you have coolent in your oil?

cygnus x-1
09-21-2007, 09:44 AM
The smoke in front is probably from oil leaking through the valve cover gasket down onto the manifold and burning off. It's a common problem on many cars. Oil smoke is usually more bluish but it's hard to tell unless there is a lot of it. Does the smoke smell oily or does it have kind of a sweet smell? If it has a sweet smell then it's coolant. It that location a coolant leak would have to be through the head gasket.

How much smoke is coming out through the filler hole? Does the filler cap have any whitish or brownish sort of foamy junk on the underside? That would indicate water in the oil, either from a head gasket leak or from blow-by gases getting around the piston rings.

C|

dano89406
09-21-2007, 11:31 AM
sounds like a blown headgasket. do you have coolent in your oil?

no the oil is fine

LX-incredible
09-21-2007, 11:47 AM
Sounds like the valve cover gasket to me. Do you get a nice cloud when you come to a sudden stop? I've had two in a row leak right above the #2 and #3 exhaust ports. Solved the problem by applying a thin film of silicone right over them when the third gasket was installed.

AccordB20A
09-21-2007, 02:48 PM
Sounds like the valve cover gasket to me. Do you get a nice cloud when you come to a sudden stop? I've had two in a row leak right above the #2 and #3 exhaust ports. Solved the problem by applying a thin film of silicone right over them when the third gasket was installed.

i would have to agree with the above member on this situation.

88Accord-DX
09-21-2007, 09:48 PM
New valve cover gasket with new acorns.