PDA

View Full Version : door lock

johndej
09-21-2007, 11:24 AM
ok, i just got new door handles from majestic honda and they didn't come w/ a lock cylinder holder (the grey piece that holds the lock inards. i was wondering how to take that piece out to swap the locks into the new handles. i've tried searching but can't find anything on the forum or in the honda manual.

johndej
09-21-2007, 11:26 AM
i've got everything out (the lock and all) and i can see the two holes on the outside of this piece, but i can't get anything to pinch them in and to slide it out. thats the way i've been trying and if its that then is there a special tool to use or anything?

LX-incredible
09-21-2007, 11:36 AM
I remember using an icepick or something similar to bend the clip in, then just pushed it out from the front...

bubba g
09-21-2007, 06:40 PM
Are you talking about a snap ring? From the way you guys are describing it , it sounds like a snap ring. And snap ring pliers would be the "special tool" you would use. :huh:

johndej
09-21-2007, 09:37 PM
nah, the one with the two holes on the outside of the whole configuration, i've got the snap ring off, i've got the plastic clip attachment off (to the lock pole), and i've got the lock mechanism out, all thats left is the grey metal casing that lines the two extensions from the handle. the two extensions have a hole on the outside of themselves that you can push the tip of a thin screwdriver in and will kinda push in and unclip, problem is it looks like you have to do that from both sides at the same time and then slip the metal piece out. there is no place for pliers as they are too big, and i've tried using 2 screwdrivers from either side and they don't make a diff, let me try to take a pic actually

johndej
09-21-2007, 09:48 PM
fuck, can't get a pic right now (batteries are dead) but its like the last thing that could possibly be held into the old handle and that would support the locking pins and shit in the new one

LX-incredible
09-21-2007, 10:02 PM
Which part?
http://www.thehondapartsstore.com/herson/jsp/catimgs/13sg70_g11.gif

johndej
09-22-2007, 09:06 AM
on that, its a grey part thats right above the number 24 and it looks like it should slide out of that hole if you push in clips by working something thin through two holes on the actual handle piece. i ordered whats marked at 9 and 17 there for my two handles and that piece didn't come w/ it, so its actually part of the lock pieces marked 10 and 11. i'm prob gonna go around today and find a body shop or something today and see if they can figure it out if i can't get it out myself.

LX-incredible
09-22-2007, 10:50 AM
#25, right above the lock cylinder, very top of the handle? It's a threaded pin (18) that presses into a 3 or 4 tabbed plastic clip (25). You won't get that sob out of there without breaking it. You need to screw the entire handle on the threaded rod as an assembly. It's annoying, but you can do it. My new handles came with 18 and 25 installed, so I guess that's how honda expects you to do it... You cannot buy the clip separately. If your handles didn't come with them, I would suggest trying to cut the metal to the sides of the clip with some diagonals. If you're careful, they can be removed and installed on the new handles.

johndej
09-22-2007, 11:33 AM
nah, its like part of the lock, you can take the innards of the lock out of it by pushing them out the front of this piece (after taking the chrome part off). say your looking at the handle from the front (outside the car), looking into the lock, you can pull the part that the key fits into out, but theres a grey metal sleeve thing around it thats attached to the body colored part of the handle still there, its that part.

LX-incredible
09-22-2007, 11:55 AM
That's what I was talking about in my first post. You got it wrong, the lock cylinder pushes out the back side of the handle. There will be a slot next to the cylinder with a clip inside. Bend the clip in towards the cylinder, and push it from the front, out the back. You can leave the chrome dust cover on it. Be careful, the pins will want to fall out when you remove the cylinder, you need to keep them in order.

johndej
09-22-2007, 01:31 PM
alrighty, i'll take a look at it again, thanks

johndej
09-27-2007, 11:26 AM
ah ha, after pulling that piece out (rather, bending the metal away and dropping it out) and replacing the locks, the accord is once again a 3 door