PDA

View Full Version : Trany!!

Hoy_LDT
09-21-2007, 06:31 PM
any tips on how to pro long the life of a trany...i feel mine slipping and im trying to make it last as long as it can...maybe only if the previous owners changed the tranny fluid it be okay...but nope...since 86 hasnt been changed...its as dark as the night...as well as the engine oil!!! TIPS PLEASE!@

LiTtLe xOx BitT
09-21-2007, 06:46 PM
If your tranny was poorly taken care of then theres really no way to undo what was done. Is it auto or manual? If its auto you might want to consider doing a 5-speed swap if you plan on modding it.

Hoy_LDT
09-21-2007, 06:48 PM
yea most likely if it goes i will do a 5speed swap....DOOMED!!! haha 5 speed here i come then

bubba g
09-21-2007, 06:49 PM
I have mixed feelings about changing tranny fluid that old. I have done this before and the tranny goes out faster than it would if you just left it alone. But I have done some that didn't hurt the trans. Usually slipping is from worn clutches and you aren't going to fix that with anything short of a rebuild. Your best bet is to baby it and don't run it hard.

88Accord-DX
09-21-2007, 09:10 PM
The torque converter is gone. But that is more than what's worth from the damage done. Look for other options, swap or used tranny.

labeledsk8r
09-21-2007, 09:17 PM
yeah that auto might be on its last legs, if it still seems to be doing allright flush it but dont hope for anything, if you keep it auto just make sure to use honda ATF fluid and mayby throw a tranny coolor on it to prolong its life, but the autos cant handle anything more then basic bolt ons so dunno how much your moding, good luck

Hoy_LDT
09-21-2007, 09:27 PM
it still has some life in it...i asked my instructor whats wrong with it and he said that i need to check some kind of boots in the bay...i know its on its last leg tho cuz when i start on d4 it stutters??? on the 3rd gear but when i start 2,3 and then 4 its okay...dosnt do the little stutter thing...i also notice a little tapping noise...the sound of metal tapping eachother..not loud but enough to hear it...i also hear it when its in park but when i put it into gear it goes away but when i drive it i hear it again later...

snoopyloopy
09-21-2007, 09:32 PM
change your tranny fluid, unless you want to try an actual flush on your own or pay someone to do it for you. but it's a bit more than just an oil change. it's not hard, same principle of a regular oil change applies. just get a funnel w/ a long tube. my other accord had an auto tranny and when it was on it's way out, that helped a bit.

Hoy_LDT
09-21-2007, 09:34 PM
i wonder how much life it has left...

bullard123
09-21-2007, 09:35 PM
any tips on how to pro long the life of a trany...i feel mine slipping and im trying to make it last as long as it can...maybe only if the previous owners changed the tranny fluid it be okay...but nope...since 86 hasnt been changed...its as dark as the night...as well as the engine oil!!! TIPS PLEASE!@

Remember that the tranny takes 10W/30 motor oil to fil it up. Myhatch had a burned out 5th gear when I bought it becuse someone decided to use some gear oil to fill it with.
Edit: My bad you have a auto transmission. That info is for the 5 speed tranny

88Accord-DX
09-21-2007, 09:36 PM
Most transmission have 1-2, 2-3 shift solenoids, but not sure on this one cause of it's age. I see a lot of slipping issues with torque converters mainly. OBD 2 scan tools are handy.
There is TRANS-X stuff on the market, might help on the problem.

88Accord-DX
09-21-2007, 09:39 PM
Nevermind. Bullard123 edited before I posted.

LX-incredible
09-21-2007, 11:18 PM
I wouldn't do a flush at this point. Change the fluid with honda ATF, drive it for a few thousand, and change again. Honda fluid is thinner than regular ATF and shifts smoother. I've used regular ATF, thinned out with brake fluid for a long time, and that worked as well.

There is a magnet inside the transmission, to the right of the oil hole. Get a small flexible or telescoping shaft magnet and try to remove some of the shavings from it. You will be surprised with what you get...

88Accord-DX
09-21-2007, 11:36 PM
edit- guess pics don't show up here from another tech. site.

LX-incredible
09-21-2007, 11:43 PM
^Like what?

88Accord-DX
09-21-2007, 11:48 PM
That is just a example of what a automatic tranny rebuild looks like. That is not the 3rd gen. Accord, just a sample of the procedure.

LX-incredible
09-21-2007, 11:50 PM
:redx:

88Accord-DX
09-21-2007, 11:59 PM
I can see it on both my browsers, so must be on your end.

88Accord-DX
09-22-2007, 12:13 AM
If your looking for where that pic came from, it's from a Technical Automotive site I belong too.

LX-incredible
09-22-2007, 12:21 AM
I looked, it required you to sign on... No problems with the other images on here.

88Accord-DX
09-22-2007, 12:27 AM
I looked, it required you to sign on... No problems with the other images on here.

I'm an auto technician, so you can't get on it unless your ASE certified. (was using the pic as an example)

Hoy_LDT
09-22-2007, 09:25 AM
well i just changed the fluid...ill be flushing it in about 500 miles

snoopyloopy
09-22-2007, 09:57 AM
:redx:
x2

LX-incredible
09-22-2007, 10:25 AM
well i just changed the fluid...ill be flushing it in about 500 miles

I really wouldn't flush it. We had two vehicles that died within weeks of a high mileage flush and I've heard of many others. It might be great thing to do every 15-20k, but when you let it go this long you're asking for trouble. Just change the fluid again and clean the filings off the magnet.

Hoy_LDT
09-22-2007, 08:42 PM
how much to swap to 5speed? 1grand

LX-incredible
09-22-2007, 09:04 PM
I got the trans, shift linkage, pedals, cluster, flywheel, everything for under $200. I would go with a new clutch and throw-out bearing as well.

Hoy_LDT
09-22-2007, 09:09 PM
I got the trans, shift linkage, pedals, cluster, flywheel, everything for under $200. I would go with a new clutch and throw-out bearing as well.

trans as in the tranny?(cuz thats cheap all for 200) how much am i looking at total wise...cuz i dont wanna start buying the parts then to find out its gonna cost around 1.5grand to finish...(including labor)

LX-incredible
09-22-2007, 09:16 PM
Yes. the transmission, that's with pulling them myself. It's going to be well over a grand with labor...

Hoy_LDT
09-22-2007, 09:25 PM
Yes. the transmission, that's with pulling them myself. It's going to be well over a grand with labor...

thought so...id do it myself but i have no lifter so thats gonna be a problem...

LX-incredible
09-22-2007, 09:31 PM
Bro, you don't need a lift, just a good jack and some stands.

Hoy_LDT
09-22-2007, 09:35 PM
Bro, you don't need a lift, just a good jack and some stands.

okay if i do the labor myself how much you think all the parts gonna cost?

LX-incredible
09-22-2007, 09:46 PM
$500 to $700, depending on the clutch you go with and what you can get the parts for.

Hoy_LDT
09-22-2007, 09:57 PM
time to go shopping for some parts lol...

Manual Transmission
Manual transmission mount
Shifter imitation leather boot
Shift linkage
Clutch cable
Flywheel
Driver’s side axle
Clutch pedal, springs, and switch
Brake pedal (manual ones are smaller)
(Whole pedal box highly recommended)
LX, LXi, and SEi came with cruise. pedals bolt to the brake booster
Gauge cluster (I want to get the one with no P, N, D, lights)
Make sure you get a new clutch
Clutch number is 22105-PH4-A01
Get a new release bearing (www.nopionline.com) unless clutch kit comes with one.
Resurface the flywheel

taken from how to's

LX-incredible
09-22-2007, 10:01 PM
Here's some great info: http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102

Hoy_LDT
09-22-2007, 10:10 PM
Here's some great info: http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=102

thanks...yea so its final prolly gonna ride my auto till it croaks and same time ill prolly be buying the parts for the swap...got any spare parts??

Pico
09-22-2007, 10:41 PM
you'll love it when you switch over from auto to stick, it was a pain getting the pedals installed when I did mine the was the hardest part crawling under the dash, but other then that it was worth the trouble in the end

Hoy_LDT
09-22-2007, 10:48 PM
you'll love it when you switch over from auto to stick, it was a pain getting the pedals installed when I did mine the was the hardest part crawling under the dash, but other then that it was worth the trouble in the end

prolly the biggest project yet for me...other then removing and installing starters and small crap haha..so prolly all gonna be 10x as hard for me

Pico
09-22-2007, 10:50 PM
as long as you have a jack and jack stands you'll be okay just have someone help you when it comes time to swapping the trans.

Hoy_LDT
09-22-2007, 10:52 PM
we are talking about stands that lift about a foot right....i hope

LX-incredible
09-22-2007, 10:54 PM

Yeah, the pedals are a bitch and a half. Good idea to do it first, as you can still roll with the auto on them. Don't how long you can have the car down for...

Hoy_LDT
09-22-2007, 10:57 PM
Don't how long you can have the car down for...

:huh:

LX-incredible
09-22-2007, 10:57 PM
we are talking about stands that lift about a foot right....i hope

I think you'll need a little more than that.

Pico
09-22-2007, 10:59 PM

Definitely higher than a foot

Hoy_LDT
09-22-2007, 11:00 PM

thought so haha how much we lookin at...i have no jacks so hopefully i can go to kragen or walmart to get them

LX-incredible
09-22-2007, 11:04 PM
:huh:
Does it need to get you to work? How long can you do without it while doing the swap? If you can only have it down for a day or two, I would do the pedals and the cluster (if you desire) one weekend, the tranny and the linkage the next.

Hoy_LDT
09-22-2007, 11:08 PM
Does it need to get you to work? How long can you do without it while doing the swap? If you can only have it down for a day or two, I would do the pedals and the cluster (if you desire) one weekend, the tranny and the linkage the next.

well id have to keep working at it till im done...so im thinking once i get out on a friday i jack it up and start to take it apart then id try to do as much as i can till sundown then sun rise im up and working at it again....dont like to leave a job laying around...when i start i start and have to finish asap...

LX-incredible
09-22-2007, 11:11 PM
thought so haha how much we lookin at...i have no jacks so hopefully i can go to kragen or walmart to get them
I got some at checker for like $16 each, on sale. They are the ratcheting type, like 1' 4" to over 2'. There pretty damn nice.

Hoy_LDT
09-22-2007, 11:14 PM
I got some at checker for like $16 each, on sale. They are the ratcheting type, like 1' 4" to over 2'. There pretty damn nice.

sounds good...hearing this type of info makes me happy haha cheap is always good...in some cases..

LX-incredible
09-22-2007, 11:23 PM
well id have to keep working at it till im done...so im thinking once i get out on a friday i jack it up and start to take it apart then id try to do as much as i can till sundown then sun rise im up and working at it again....dont like to leave a job laying around...when i start i start and have to finish asap...
I would break it up, but if you feel up to it, go for it. By the time you get the stock pedals out, you're going to be ready for a cold one...

Oh, and it was just the jackstands for $16 each, you'll still need the jack.

2oodoor
09-23-2007, 05:17 AM
I'm an auto technician, so you can't get on it unless your ASE certified. (was using the pic as an example)

pics from the site do not show up here, are they showing up on your 3geez if you go up to that post?

Anyway, Hoy_LDT you should check your TV cable adjustment, that can cause some of those problems, also check to see if it has froze or jammed up first by lubing it and checking the movement.
Search is your friend, if you are an AIRPLANE MECHANIC like you say I am sure you can read manuals and procedures with some comprehension.
There is a complete factory shop manual for these cars available right here on the site that explains a lot of things in great detail.

Hoy_LDT
09-23-2007, 07:46 AM
pics from the site do not show up here, are they showing up on your 3geez if you go up to that post?

Anyway, Hoy_LDT you should check your TV cable adjustment, that can cause some of those problems, also check to see if it has froze or jammed up first by lubing it and checking the movement.
Search is your friend, if you are an AIRPLANE MECHANIC like you say I am sure you can read manuals and procedures with some comprehension.
There is a complete factory shop manual for these cars available right here on the site that explains a lot of things in great detail.

you stand correct....actually thats what airplane mechanics get paid to do...reading manuals and determining IPCs, and scehmatics.

and yea i seen it in the how to's and above the thread haha\

edit:just looked at the manual and its a done deal...step by step and assembly schematic we shall see how it goes

88Accord-DX
09-23-2007, 08:33 PM
I'll keep the pics off this site, it looks like I can only see it. :wtf:

Good luck on the swap, I hear one of the hardest parts is putting a 3rd pedal in.

Hoy_LDT
09-23-2007, 08:54 PM
I'll keep the pics off this site, it looks like I can only see it. :wtf:

Good luck on the swap, I hear one of the hardest parts is putting a 3rd pedal in.

yea i hear that too

2oodoor
09-24-2007, 03:48 AM
you stand correct....actually thats what airplane mechanics get paid to do...reading manuals and determining IPCs, and scehmatics.

and yea i seen it in the how to's and above the thread haha\

edit:just looked at the manual and its a done deal...step by step and assembly schematic we shall see how it goes

Hey if that makes it shift any different at all from your original problem, here is a tip, you can tweak the adjustment (one or two threads at a time) to fit your tune, your driving style. I had a lot of fun (??) getting mine like I like it due to the weber carb I have had entirely different geometry at the throttle, remember the TV adjusts the shift according to throttle position not engine load.