PDA

View Full Version : Throw-out bearing, maybe

w261w261
09-22-2007, 11:01 AM
Non 3G, but there's so much expertise here, I'm sure I'll get some good answers.

My son has a 2000 Altima. A couple of years ago, he took it to Aamco (he didn't ask me first) and got the clutch rebuilt. Now, 18k later there's this bad noise when he puts it in gear. At this point the noise continues in (every) gear. I figure it's the throw-out bearing, which has worn out because either they didn't put in a new one, or they didn't allow enough free play and the bearing has continued to spin instead of stopping after each shift.

Before I have a frank talk with the Aamco guy on Monday, I wonder if there might be another point of view on this.

Thx

bubba g
09-22-2007, 11:38 AM
The throwout bearing usually will make the most noise when the clutch pedal is depressed. With the pedal released there is not much load on the bearing, therefore it makes less or no noise. If it makes more noise when the pedal is released, it is in the trans. If it does it when sitting still it is on the mainshaft. These noises will be RPM related.

If it only does it when rolling it is either on the countershaft or in the differential. In this case it will be speed related.

If you can more closely tell when it makes the noise, you can find out more accurately where the problem is.

I would suggest changing the tranny oil and see what comes out before I tore anything apart. Filter it through a clean rag or at least a clean bucket. That will tell you alot about your trans.

But in the end it sounds like the trans has to come out reguardless.

w261w261
09-22-2007, 01:25 PM
Thanks.

88Accord-DX
09-23-2007, 08:26 PM
The throw-out bearing could make a noise in all gears, if it's old & not adjusted - constantly riding on the pressure plate fingers. More than likely it would make the same noise in neutral too.
Make sure there is enough transaxle fluid in it. Sounds like the counter shaft assembly or the pinion gear.

Tech. book literature
Noise in all gears-
Insufficient lubrication
Worn or damaged bearings
Worn or damaged gears
Excessive synchronizer wear
Defective speedometer drive gears
Misaligned transmission
Excessive input or output shaft and/or counter gear end play
Contaminated lubricant