PDA

View Full Version : Oil Leak: I thought I was out of the woods..

w261w261
09-22-2007, 11:14 AM
Just when I thought I was home free, turns out I'm not. I replaced the valve cover gasket, and cleaned everything off with Gunk, so I can pretty well see what's going on. The new gasket is working fine, but I (seem) to be leaking oil from the front right corner between the head and the block. I thought that would be the water jacket. Anyone had an oil leak from this spot before? thx.

LX-incredible
09-22-2007, 11:35 AM
Make sure that it's not the distributor seal. The only pressurized oil passage is at the center, on the intake side of the block.

w261w261
09-22-2007, 01:28 PM
That's what I thought. But it's hard to see it coming from the distributor.

LX-incredible
09-22-2007, 08:56 PM
It's pretty common for them to go. Try jamming a towel under the bottom leg of the dizzy, against the head.

2oodoor
09-23-2007, 03:36 AM
Im watching this one, mine does the same thing off and on though, it does not apppear to be the distributor though.

bobafett
09-23-2007, 08:32 AM
you say front right, but if you are looking at the engine bay the dizzy is on the left side of the motor. i assume you mean the dizzy side, not the cam gear side of the motor.

after changing my head gasket i did in fact have an oil leak on the cam gear side and I was sure that it was leaking out between the head and the block. turns out it was the cam seal (was brand new honda part, so i had a hard time suspecting it).

It takes about 2 minutes to pull the dizzy, and it will be really obvious if it is leaking. the seal is also dirt cheap and easy to replace. :)

w261w261
09-23-2007, 08:40 AM
I lived with the oil leaks for a couple of years before finally saying "enough." So I'm on a roll of sorts. I'll pull the dizzy and put in a new seal, it can't hurt. Thx.

2drSE-i
09-23-2007, 09:24 AM
you might check something else. On the rear of the motor there is an oil line that is prone to leaking, i thought it was my oil pan gasket but it was just a couple of clamps that needed to be replaced.

carotman
09-24-2007, 08:27 PM
There is an oil erturn from the head to the block on the front right of the engine. Make sure it's not the distributor and investigate from there. When I swapped my B20A in, the headgasket was leaking at this exact place. I got tired and replaced the gasket.

w261w261
09-25-2007, 11:10 AM
There is an oil return from the head to the block on the front right of the engine....

It sure looks like it's leaking from that corner at the head/block junction. I'll put in a new distributor O ring, then see. If it's a low pressure leak, maybe some gunk will fix it.

bobafett
09-25-2007, 11:12 AM
I did have leak issues from the hg, but it was waster and only when the car warmed up (not overheated warm, but normal operating temps). I have a copper gasket, so I just used some gaskacinch and permatec aviation sealer and it was good to go!