PDA

View Full Version : My cassette deck won't give me my tape back

frantik
09-23-2007, 12:06 PM
Ok so yesterday I was listening to a tape on my stock deck and it sounded like it got stuck or something. now the tape won't eject or start playing.. the radio just keeps trying to play it so if i leave the radio on all i hear is this constant clicking sound from the deck

anybody know of a way to fix this short of pulling the deck and taking it apart?

ghettogeddy
09-23-2007, 12:15 PM
i have a replacement one if u need it

frantik
09-23-2007, 12:19 PM
thanks.. though i want the damn tape lol.. i had a home tape deck for a while i should have recorded it on to mp3

ghettogeddy
09-23-2007, 12:26 PM
thanks.. though i want the damn tape lol.. i had a home tape deck for a while i should have recorded it on to mp3

ya i say take it apart then remove is it just the tape deck not working or the radio as well

Cheeseburger
09-23-2007, 12:27 PM
time to upgrade bro :p

lostforawhile
09-23-2007, 12:41 PM
yea the deck is saying let me die!! let me die!! they do make those things called cds now.

frantik
09-23-2007, 12:52 PM
ya i say take it apart then remove is it just the tape deck not working or the radio as well

Everything works fine the tape is just stuck so the deck is trying to play the tape and so it won't go into radio mode or anything. I think i will have to take it apart though :\

and I only have 1 tape lol i listen to it when i don't have my ipod on me. I don't need a CD deck since i dont listen to cds and in fact i like having the stock one cause it looks retro and it's also a nice theft deterrent. and also i can use my oem eq with it

LX-incredible
09-23-2007, 01:05 PM
I don't know about honda decks, but some have a manual eject button inside the door and to the right or left.

dlr1989
09-23-2007, 01:19 PM
Frantik,
Ah yes, the reason my stock Honda Deck has been banished to a shelf in the garage. Mine did that to me a number of times (one too many) and I was able to work the tape cartridge out through the tape slot with a small screw driver and a pair of needle nose pliers. The last one I removed the tape itself was stuck up inside the machine and I ruined that tape when removing it. If the tape is one of great importance to you then the "safest" way is to remove the deck and disassemble it to get the tape out. Then give the deck a good cleaning while it is open and hope that it's problem is that it is dirty and that it is not from being worn out.

or

Use this as an excuse to upgrade your audio system and buy what ever was on the tape on newer media, like CD.

dlr1989

frantik
09-23-2007, 01:26 PM
the tape is a rare mix tape that is only available on cassette. im not even sure if i could buy another tape

i've already pulled the deck so im just gonna disassemble it. i know i should upgrade but i really dont like the way new decks look in 3geez lol

MessyHonda
09-23-2007, 01:33 PM
time to upgrade bro :p

hahaha Mr funny guy...he has a ipod also...if you ever saw his EQ bypass conversion.

frantik
09-23-2007, 01:38 PM
well that was easier than i thought.. just had to use a few screw drivers to wedge it back out lol

probably wont use the tape deck too much now lol

frantik
09-23-2007, 02:31 PM
doh.. i plugged it back in and it still acted like the tape was in there. :uh:

i opened it back up and disconnected a wire ribbon that was going to the tape apparatus. It stopped the tape deck from clicking but it also stopped the radio from working. oh well i can still use my ipod so it's not a huge deal though it would be nice to have the radio working as well

lostforawhile
09-23-2007, 04:39 PM
inside of the deck is a little microswitch, you have to figure out how to release the mechanical mechanism so it's not pushing on the switch. i reccomend a large sledgehammer.

A18A
09-23-2007, 04:49 PM
whats a tape? :kekeke:

Demon1024
09-23-2007, 05:31 PM
they have decks with ipod plugs. you should really convert it to mp3 and back it up

Hoy_LDT
09-24-2007, 09:53 PM
yea the deck is saying let me die!! let me die!! they do make those things called cds now.

whats a tape? :kekeke:

agree...and again what is a tape...maybe you put it in backwards lol cuz that what happened to my aunt a couple years ago...okay about 8yrs lol

edit:

inside of the deck is a little microswitch, you have to figure out how to release the mechanical mechanism so it's not pushing on the switch. i reccomend a large sledgehammer.

im starting to feel bad for the guy...lets stop lol

edit2:haha sorry for not reading first

Civic Accord Honda
09-25-2007, 12:53 AM
LMAO i killed my stock deck yesterday
bashed it good with my hammer

A18A
09-25-2007, 12:55 AM
i killed mine the other day, i needed a couple diodes :) and:

inside of the deck is a little microswitch, you have to figure out how to release the mechanical mechanism so it's not pushing on the switch. i reccomend a large sledgehammer.LOLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

frantik
09-25-2007, 03:20 PM
:P so much hate for the stock deck :crying: lol

Hazwan
09-25-2007, 08:27 PM
:P so much hate for the tape :crying: lol

fixed :lol:

A18A
09-25-2007, 08:40 PM
:rofl:

2oodoor
09-26-2007, 03:27 AM
old school here..:wave:
cassettes are good, just have to do maintenance on the mechanicals once in a while. :violin:
You can clip the wires going to the head, and resolder in a headphone 1/8 stereo jack and lead out wire all available from Radio shack, listen to any mobile device, jump drive, mp3 or cd. You have to make sure you have the common in the correct place though.
And yea the micro switch sounds stuck or jammed by the carriage for the cassette.
I have fixed many tapes that were ate by machines, you may loose a few seconds sometimes minutes of music but it still plays the other things left on the tape.

Civic Accord Honda
09-26-2007, 05:26 AM
cassettes are good, just have to do maintenance on the mechanicals once in a while. :violin:
You can clip the wires going to the head, and resolder in a headphone 1/8 stereo jack and lead out wire all available from Radio shack, listen to any mobile device, jump drive, mp3 or cd. You have to make sure you have the common in the correct place though.
And yea the micro switch sounds stuck or jammed by the carriage for the cassette.
I have fixed many tapes that were ate by machines, you may loose a few seconds sometimes minutes of music but it still plays the other things left on the tape. wow i did i did not know u could do that with the head that sounds cool :D

MessyHonda
09-26-2007, 09:54 AM
I have fixed many tapes that were ate by machines, you may loose a few seconds sometimes minutes of music but it still plays the other things left on the tape.

the deck is still low quality. i remember i used the Ipod adapter....haha cassette with a lil wire to hook it up and i could hear the deck mechanism more than the music....thats why my newer deck has a aux input....straight and direct and no moving parts.

2oodoor
09-26-2007, 10:31 AM
the deck is still low quality. i remember i used the Ipod adapter....haha cassette with a lil wire to hook it up and i could hear the deck mechanism more than the music....thats why my newer deck has a aux input....straight and direct and no moving parts.

yes I can see that being a problem..
if tapes were not going to be played anymore anyway, I would pull the plug on the tape motor as long as it was not the same motor that operated the carriage that pulls the tape in.

Blaaz
09-26-2007, 01:13 PM
Frantik - you are welcome to my stock deck if you don't mind a drive up to Union City (CA) to come and get it. I like the stock decks too. Upgraded mine to a later model.

Problem with the cassette was that the heads probably became magnetized. The tape will then wrap around the head and the cassette won't eject. You need to periodically run a demagnetizer through the deck and it should be fine.

If you want my deck, PM me.
Blaaz

frantik
09-26-2007, 04:55 PM
hey thanks dude i just might run up there sometime and grab it :)

thegreatdane
09-28-2007, 07:14 AM
I say, use brutal force to get the tape out, and keep the tape deck :p
My stock Alpine tape deck is the pride of my sedan :)

frantik
02-25-2008, 07:13 PM
w00t fixed my tape deck today :D :D I was fooling with the headunit the other day and found it was really easy to remove the cassette player assembly from the deck.. so i went to pick and pull and found an identical stereo in a prelude, pulled the cassette assembly, paid $6 and got my stereo back to normal :D

2ndGenGuy
02-25-2008, 08:45 PM
Nice work! :thumbup:

Way to keep it old-school with the tape deck. I only wish I could be so hardcore.

frantik
02-25-2008, 10:25 PM
lol well i don't use the tape part very often haha i use my hacked aux in for my ipod :D but yeah the stock head unit is the only one which matches the interior imo plus I like using the stock EQ too :D :D

forrest89sei
02-25-2008, 11:00 PM
lol well i don't use the tape part very often haha i use my hacked aux in for my ipod :D but yeah the stock head unit is the only one which matches the interior imo plus I like using the stock EQ too :D :D

How does your Aux in work?

frantik
02-26-2008, 01:23 AM
using the CD/EQ connection http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44949