PDA

View Full Version : weird problem please help!!

Beanshonda55
09-23-2007, 12:32 PM
Okay so first of i have a 89 efi 5spd, it has an a-20 a1 engine from a 87 carbed motor. after i swapped the car ran fine but then my car started having idle surges i cleaned the fast idle valve and it worked for a while and the started doing it agian, next it started stutering and backfiring almost once every time i drove my car, right after it would backfire it would imdeitly run fine. then yesterday i drove the car to my buddies house and stayed there for about 5min and then went to start my car and leave but it would just turn over and not fire i wait like 3-4min and then try it agian giving it gas and then i start it and white somke comes out of my tail pipe for about 5 seconds and it barly wants to stay running. Its done this about 5 times now. When i swapped the engine i got new plugs, wires, blaster 2 coil, cap and rotor, altenator, battery and checked the timing. So today i was messing with stuff and turned down the screw, right on top of the throttle body were the intake pipe goes in, all the way doen and now my car stopped idle surgine and will sometimes idle at 750rpm but sometime at 1300 when the car warms up. but no idle surgine. so if you have any info i would appreciate it. sry for the long thread.

nzBA1lude
11-18-2007, 12:54 PM
im not 100%
but i had this problem a while ago for me it was crap in the fuel
have you tryed replacing the fuel filter
and making sure there isnt water in the fuel

moonjaw2002
11-21-2007, 05:46 PM
Having the idle screw adjusted to fast can cause your idle to surge.Do you get any error codes off of your ecu when the engine starts acting up?
Mark