PDA

View Full Version : '89 DX vs. '89 SEi

M3Galaxie
09-24-2007, 08:12 PM
I'm considering buying the '89 SEi in the forsale section. I'm going to go look at the car tomorrow.
It's an auto 122k miles
Mines a carbed 5spd 93k miles

I haven't got a really good look at it yet, but it apears like the body is in a little better shape than mine. The only con I have against the SEi is it's an auto. Other than that it just seems like a better car. What do you all think would you got with the SEi loose the 5spd, but gain 22more hp, all around disc breaks, tinted windows, real wheels (no hubcaps), leather or a 5spd carbed DX? I guess I just want to know what you all's take on the auto trans in these cars? Probably like some of you I just like having a manual = ultimate control.

LX-incredible
09-24-2007, 08:14 PM
Go with the SE-i and swap the tranny.

Civic Accord Honda
09-24-2007, 08:15 PM
put the dx transmission in the sei :P

labeledsk8r
09-24-2007, 08:18 PM
id say the se-i is a much better all around car, not just becuse its a rare car to find (not even saying one in good condition) carbs can be alot of trouble, the DX is lighter but the se-i has alot more areas that you can tune, plus if you have the skill and time you could easyly swap the auto over to the DX and BAM got a perfect daily driver and a 5 speed se-i, good luck

M3Galaxie
09-24-2007, 08:21 PM
^Ya I thought about that, would it be that simple? Never having REALLY worked on these cars I don't know. Being that I'm not at home I don't have a garage or a place to really work on these cars; unless I did it over fall break, but I would need to be able to complete the swap within 2 days of work.

Hoy_LDT
09-24-2007, 08:21 PM
do what im doing...tranny swap!!!owange all day

edit:where you located at

M3Galaxie
09-24-2007, 08:25 PM
Right now Oklahoma city...from around St. Louis, MO I might see what my uncle thinks about the swap. He is/was pretty big into the car seen down here and might know someone who could help.

labeledsk8r
09-24-2007, 08:26 PM
^Ya I thought about that, would it be that simple? Never having REALLY worked on these cars I don't know. Being that I'm not at home I don't have a garage or a place to really work on these cars; unless I did it over fall break, but I would need to be able to complete the swap within 2 days of work.

well considering you have both cars there you know what they both are gona have to look like back together, just gotta have a good memorie for one or the other, take one out and leave it then take the other cars out and transfer over the same day makeing sure to keep track, then put the first transmision back in the other car (if that made any damn sence lol i think i made that more confuseing then i ment to lol) but i couldnt give you a time qoute, i mean there smaller sized trannys but still snags can come up

1ajs
09-24-2007, 09:10 PM
aww suejstion pull both motors swap the tranies and while there out clean the engin bays do and rust stuff and pull the shifter peacs and swap them then put the motors back in and bolt everything back on and bam your done...

MessyHonda
09-24-2007, 11:12 PM
sounds like a deal....if you just want to leave the se-i alone and just leave it as a daily driver......i have a 88dx that is auto and i didnt get to drive it for 3 months....now im hooked again....man i missed my auto a lil bit....the gutless fealling when you are only at like 4500RPM.....oh well its up to you....a 5 speed swap would be great but dont mess with your 89dx just to fix up the 89 se-i

M3Galaxie
09-25-2007, 04:43 AM
Well, I was thinking about it, and I think it would be cool to do the swap. I can't afford to keep both cars. So ones gonna have to go before to long. I could handle having both cars down though for a week, wouldn't be a problem, I just need to work out where to work on them. And be sure I have all tools I'll need before I start. I have a cherry picker avalible, but at far as other tools: one hydralic jack, two jack stands, And a basic craftsman 53piece tool kit. Also is the auto tranny going to go into the DX just as easy or is there more to it? I would imagine this is going to be the biggest problem with all of the electronics of the auto. I would probably also have to switch the guage clusters sence I would be selling the DX if I do this. Then I have the problem of finding the right color center consouls for each car at (least for DX so it will sell) I could worry about the SEi later. I'm just not wanting to jump into without having a good plan and getting in over my head.

russiankid
09-25-2007, 05:28 AM
I would go with the SE-i. You could keep the A20A1 block and slowly rebuild it and swap it into the SE-i. In the mean time swap the auto for the 5-speed.

M3Galaxie
09-25-2007, 11:09 AM
^no no...like I said before. If I do it; it's going to have to be a tranny swap/s job. One of the cars is getting sold in good working condition. Hopefully it will be a DX auto getting sold, but How hard would it be to do the 5spd to auto swap? Are the parts that inner changeable or are electronics going to be a problem for the DX to auto portion?

MessyHonda
09-25-2007, 11:16 AM
they should swap up...just more shit to do to the dx since you will have put in the cooler lines and other stuff.

russiankid
09-25-2007, 11:18 AM
^no no...like I said before. If I do it; it's going to have to be a tranny swap/s job. One of the cars is getting sold in good working condition. Hopefully it will be a DX auto getting sold, but How hard would it be to do the 5spd to auto swap? Are the parts that inner changeable or are electronics going to be a problem for the DX to auto portion?

You will need to change the tranny itself, axles, and i think the mount too. You will need to change the shifter, pedal box, put in a clutch cable, and some misc wiring for the back up lights, etc...

labeledsk8r
09-25-2007, 11:32 AM
it should swap, everything you need for the auto is allready in the se-i, just gotta make sure you use it all lol, and as for finding a matching center console the one in it works fine those are all around and can be used on auto or 5 speed good luck

M3Galaxie
09-25-2007, 01:11 PM
It's a no go; body on the SEi wasn't all it looked to be, good sized dent on the nose of the hood, and a few small dents on pasanger side, some of the plastic was broke around grill, tint was very purple. Still a decent car, but at the same time too much to spend on a doner car for the disc breaks, wheels, and engine.