PDA

View Full Version : Poor Mans Transmission Cooler

mushroom_toy
09-27-2007, 01:09 PM
Well I was thinking of getting a tranny cooler for a while now, but just havent had the money. I have been reading up and I know tranny fluid needs to be hot to a certain point, but being as I live in georgia its not much of a big deal if its too cool right? I mean as in not running the tranny lines through the radiator, just through the cooler would be ok? Also I was thinking can I just use more of a high performance power steering cooler to cool my tansmission? Like this one I picked up today:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v28/JubeiMunchCurry/ResizeWizard-1-78.jpg
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v28/JubeiMunchCurry/ResizeWizard-2-64.jpg

Would this work, or would the tranny fluid be too much for it? Or should I use it or no? Opinions and feedback wanted!

LiTtLe xOx BitT
09-27-2007, 01:28 PM
How much did you pay for it?? I know at the car stores by me they sell tranny coolers for like $30.

labeledsk8r
09-27-2007, 01:50 PM
lol so im guessing you wont need mine? lol and even though your in gorgia, i still had to run mine threw the radiator as well, it makes it so it doesnt get 2 cold, but the added cooler makes it more stabel and wont spike high temps, dunno if that single pas PS cooler would do the trick though

mushroom_toy
09-27-2007, 01:53 PM
lol so im guessing you wont need mine? lol and even though your in gorgia, i still had to run mine threw the radiator as well, it makes it so it doesnt get 2 cold, but the added cooler makes it more stabel and wont spike high temps, dunno if that single pas PS cooler would do the trick though

Oh yeah sorry, I got this for free, so I guess I wont need yours. I still might need it but Im not sure yet.

mushroom_toy
09-27-2007, 01:54 PM
How much did you pay for it?? I know at the car stores by me they sell tranny coolers for like $30.

Free.

MessyHonda
09-27-2007, 02:07 PM
anything helps.

86AccordLxi
09-27-2007, 02:17 PM
Just curious as to why you need a cooler? Towing things? Or what?

Alex

labeledsk8r
09-27-2007, 03:28 PM
Oh yeah sorry, I got this for free, so I guess I wont need yours. I still might need it but Im not sure yet.

well let me know

Just curious as to why you need a cooler? Towing things? Or what?

Alex

i know wheni had my auto accord in florida, just any good hard driveing or extrened driveing with stop and gom would really increase its temps, sadly the stock cooler is good for keeping it the right temp on it not getting to cold, but it doesnt do well to cool it so so you get really hot fluid and helps rip up a allready weak handleing auto

mushroom_toy
09-27-2007, 06:08 PM
Yeah stop and go driving in georgia or spirited driving during hot days really raises the tranny temp, and I want to at least try to cool it a little better.

Vanilla Sky
09-27-2007, 09:48 PM
In FL, a cooler is almost needed if you have any mods.

labeledsk8r
09-27-2007, 10:29 PM
yo how big does that mesure out to be?

In FL, a cooler is almost needed if you have any mods.

almost cant get away without one on a stock accord in florida lol