PDA

View Full Version : Caster Settings

billyballer
09-27-2007, 03:33 PM
Can anyone whose had their car recently aligned give me a measurment on the caster adjustment rod from where the thread begins (rear most edge toward the back of the car) to where your lock nut is set?

A left and a right side measurement would be great. I don't have access to a trailer yet and my car isn't street legal so I can't drive it to my alignment machine at work. I can can get the tow pretty close but haven't a clue with the caster.

thanks

-Bill

Hauntd ca3
09-28-2007, 12:33 AM
You should be able to get close by eye.
since the caster rod just moves the wheel back and forward ,play with it until the wheel center is about half way between the front and back of the wheel arch until you get it on an alignment machine.
just an idea

billyballer
09-28-2007, 10:05 AM
I think the adjustment is too small to eyeball via the wheel in the center of the arch. I just want to get a base setting but thanks for the suggestion. Worse case I'll just make the lengths even side to side and hope for the best once I hit the track. Anyone who has a tape measure and doesn't looking under the front of their car should be able to help me out.

thanks

-Bill

Hauntd ca3
09-30-2007, 11:16 PM
Measure from the hub center to a point horizontally forward and one the same backwards of the hub center.
at aguess you should get close to the same measurement.
If not adjust and do same on other side.
should give you a good base line to work from.
Hope you get it sussed dude.

Oldblueaccord
10-03-2007, 12:03 PM
I have about 6-7 threads showing on the rod to the jam nut.

My specs are:

Left front:

-1.1 camber

1.5 caster

.01 toe

right front

-1.5 camber

1.6 caster

0.00 toe

theres a good picture of it on page 19-4 of the 1988 Helms book

wp

billyballer
10-04-2007, 12:11 PM
Oldblue,

thanks, that is exactly the info I needed to get a base setup.
much appreciated

-Bill