PDA

View Full Version : 3gee on life support :(

Soundy
09-28-2007, 08:35 PM
Driving home from the game a couple weeks ago, I noticed there seemed to be a cloud following me, but couldn't really pinpoint it... until my car started losing power and finally kacked when I put in the clutch....

Looked at the gauges... temp was bottomed out! Pulled over, rolled as far as possible off the highway, stopped... and noticed the steam coming from under the hood. Opened the hood... and it was soaked. Blah.

Wife came out, brought some bottles of water... topped up the rad, started it up... seemed okay except there appeared to be a bit of steam coming out the exhaust. Uh-oh...

Put the rad cap back on... and water started spraying hard from the area of the dizzy. D-oh.

Got it towed home and took a look at it in the daylight: big split in the heater hose that comes out of the head right below the dizzy. Crap.

Gonna get a new hose and see if it lives again, but I'm really worried that I may have a cracked head or blown head gasket, and that may be what led to the split hose. *sigh*

Stay tuned for developments...

Hoy_LDT
09-28-2007, 08:43 PM
did the car have bad power output when u put water in the rad? or was it back to its normal self for the time being

Soundy
09-28-2007, 09:35 PM
I didn't try driving it again - it was spewing so fast out the hose, I just called the tow truck to get it home. Wanna fix the hose before I start it up again. I've had a blown head gasket *and* a cracked head before (different times on the same car) so I recognize the steam from the exhaust... that's what worries me.

MessyHonda
09-29-2007, 08:42 AM
yeah i had a gasket problem with my dx...it ran fine till one day it just blew out the rear right of the motor. but yeah replace all thoes lil hoses an get some new clamps if you can.

russiankid
09-29-2007, 08:44 AM
Man that does suck. I glance at my temp constantly.

Soundy
09-29-2007, 10:17 AM
Welp, that's that... fired it up today... barely... then it ran really rough... took the plugs out... and got a buncha steam pouring out the #3 hole. :(

So now the big decision: find another 3gee and salvage my custom Magnaflow exhaust and a few other bits, or just sell the whole thing for parts and look into something else? Buddy's got a completely rebuilt '90 Civic he might part with for a decent price...

thegreatdane
09-29-2007, 12:19 PM
take of the head, and check if it isnt just the headgasket. if its just the headgasket its a cheap fix. and should you need a new head, then I bet you can find a dirt cheap one here on the board. But if your sick of the car you might as well scrap it. or fix it and sell it at a better price.

Soundy
09-29-2007, 01:01 PM
It's just too crooked to want to spend a lot of time on. Lotsa dings and rust around the rocker panels and wheel wells. And I don't really have a warm place to do the work.

89T
09-29-2007, 03:33 PM
come on bro it should only take you 2-3 hours top's to replace the gasket.

Silent_Hill
09-29-2007, 04:42 PM
yeah it shouldnt take that long. hurry up and fix it and get it road worthy again =]

AccordB20A
10-08-2007, 06:28 PM
k i may be late to post in this thread but when i blew a water hose in my a20a2 it went down to firing on 3 cylinders i didnt know why but the motor kept running on 3 cylidners smoking lots but it got me home 40kms later.. didnt seize or anything. pulled the head and gasket out and it was fine..... the head was warped and thats all that was wrong.

did you ever fix this engine? or give up on the car?

w261w261
10-09-2007, 03:36 PM
I bought for $8 a can of this stuff that claims to be able to fix a blown head gasket, which I had on an '85 Volvo. You have to *completely* flush the cooling system to get all the antifreeze out, then put this stuff in, drive around for awhile, and see if it works. If it does, put antifreeze back in the system and you're good to go. Worked for me.

88Accord-DX
10-09-2007, 05:30 PM
I bought for $8 a can of this stuff that claims to be able to fix a blown head gasket, which I had on an '85 Volvo. You have to *completely* flush the cooling system to get all the antifreeze out, then put this stuff in, drive around for awhile, and see if it works. If it does, put antifreeze back in the system and you're good to go. Worked for me.

That head gasket fix your talking about. I've use a K&W brand, was a little expensive but worked.(not on my car, but AT work)

w261w261
10-09-2007, 05:34 PM
That head gasket fix your talking about. I've use a K&W brand, was a little expensive but worked.

Yeah, I saw those for $60-75. The guy at the auto store said the $10 can was just as good. I didn't want to risk spending more on a car that might be junk so I went with the cheap stuff. Worked fine.