PDA

View Full Version : Automatic Transmission Problem - Accord 3rd

Teratani
09-29-2007, 10:41 PM
Hi everyone.

I'm new here :welcome:

I own Accord 3gen JDM 1.8 (A18A)

The car won't start cause gear ring on torque coverter was bad so I took another torque converter from an Accord 3gen with A20A.

My mechanic took off the old torque converter and put in new one, the car start ok but now any transmission gear won't engage....only PARKING works(lol....). The mechanic say the torque converter from A20A is good on A18A cause is a direct fit and he also change oil transmission and put on Dexron II.

Any idea of trouble? It's possible the Torque Converter from A20A is not good for A18A?

Thanks everyone!

A18A
09-29-2007, 10:53 PM
by any chance did he forget to put on the cable?

AccordB20A
09-30-2007, 02:17 AM
i used a a20a torque converter on a b18a auto box on a b20a engine and it worked. i think all honda accord torque converters r the same. if it didnt fit properly it would make some bad noises. you shoulda made him convert it to manual :)

he might have used a stuffed torque converter??
or yeah maybe forgot to book the cable up again i dunno

Teratani
09-30-2007, 04:49 AM
Torque converter was testing separately before fit into tranny and tranny was swap out 2 times cause he thought any mistake...

Anyway I'll ask him about cable...

2oodoor
09-30-2007, 05:41 AM
you posted this on PP?, I think something may be left off, and the cable is very important to the operation of this transmission, it has to be adjusted properly as well..Shifter cable needs to be "hookded up":wave: too

Teratani
09-30-2007, 07:53 AM
you posted this on PP?, I think something may be left off, and the cable is very important to the operation of this transmission, it has to be adjusted properly as well..Shifter cable needs to be "hookded up":wave: too

As u are the same before guy! But this community is specialazed for Accord CA, so I put as here :)

Thanks! :cheers:

MessyHonda
09-30-2007, 03:12 PM
:welcome: hope you get the problem fixed.

Teratani
10-02-2007, 09:26 AM
Now,
I told him about cable.
He say it's not cable but there isn't enough pressure oil in tranny, so He's going to check oil pump or something like that....how could possible?

He put in Dexron II-D. Manual say Dexron or Dexron II...maybe this is matter?

2oodoor
10-02-2007, 11:09 AM
Now,
I told him about cable.
He say it's not cable but there isn't enough pressure oil in tranny, so He's going to check oil pump or something like that....how could possible?

He put in Dexron II-D. Manual say Dexron or Dexron II...maybe this is matter?
I thought the manuel says hondamatic fluid only, you can use synthetic name brand though, dex 2 or 3 I dont think you are supposed to use <edit> I see the manual says DexII, wtf it's wrong then.. lol
Where is he measuring the pressure at?
I they had the tranmisssion upside down it could have blocked somthing up with goop, also the main pump coudl have been damaged putting the torque converter in wrong. /Any noises?

Oh BTW why was the starter ring so worn out, stating problems?

Teratani
10-02-2007, 01:08 PM
I thought the manuel says hondamatic fluid only, you can use synthetic name brand though, dex 2 or 3 I dont think you are supposed to use <edit> I see the manual says DexII, wtf it's wrong then.. lol
Where is he measuring the pressure at?
I they had the tranmisssion upside down it could have blocked somthing up with goop, also the main pump coudl have been damaged putting the torque converter in wrong. /Any noises?

Oh BTW why was the starter ring so worn out, stating problems?

Yes I was in starting problems...sometimes fuel circuit discharge and it can takes several crank before car start...and them gear ring worn out.

No strange noises, now when I try to start car.

Teratani
10-16-2007, 10:36 AM
Problem is not resolve yet, but I have some news here:

-oil pressure test OK at the begin circuit
-cable OK

...now mechanic say need to disassembly tranny for rebuilding..... cause the car was stop for 2 years and maybe tranny is locked up!!!
For me this is impossible, how could happening something like that only for car stopped 2 years....

The car worked perfectly before gear ring on torque converter problem...

I'm very worried about this guy disassembly tranny so I give him a break so you guys can tell me if it's correct dissasembly tranny or it's best take away the car for another mechanic...maybe Honda qualified.

Please some tips, cause I won't death of my car :(

russiankid
10-16-2007, 07:50 PM
Does the engine even turn over? Can you get the tranny into neutral? If not then it is a tranny related issue. Now i do not understand how something could happen with the tranny when just the ring gear was replaced.

labeledsk8r
10-16-2007, 08:06 PM
your mech really sounds like he is doing jobs on your car when he really doesnt know whats rong, chargeing you more and more money. are you able to shift out of park into any other postion? if you can and it stalls out then sometihng is def rong in the transmition, if you can even move it then cableing sounds at fault. i dont know about the JDM ones but USDM accords have a safty switch makeing so if you dont have your foot on the break you cant shift, if this wasnt re-installed or if it got broken it can lock it into park. dont know if your car has it though as im not up on the jdm parts stuff but if it does then check around there

Demon1024
10-16-2007, 08:37 PM
do you have to hold the brake to start these cars? auto's that is maybee that darn plastic button above the pedal

Teratani
10-17-2007, 03:30 AM
Does the engine even turn over? Can you get the tranny into neutral? If not then it is a tranny related issue. Now i do not understand how something could happen with the tranny when just the ring gear was replaced.

Tranny doesn't engage any gear when shift in D3,D2,2,R positon only 'N' and 'P' works. Engine still rev up normally...so the car won't move.

Seeing manual is the 1st option in troubleshooting chart

Thus I'm sure tranny is ok but is locked up due to mechanic mistake

Teratani
10-17-2007, 03:47 AM
your mech really sounds like he is doing jobs on your car when he really doesnt know whats rong, chargeing you more and more money. are you able to shift out of park into any other postion? if you can and it stalls out then sometihng is def rong in the transmition, if you can even move it then cableing sounds at fault. i dont know about the JDM ones but USDM accords have a safty switch makeing so if you dont have your foot on the break you cant shift, if this wasnt re-installed or if it got broken it can lock it into park. dont know if your car has it though as im not up on the jdm parts stuff but if it does then check around there

Yeah I think the same about this damn mech....

The lever shift is free able to move from 'P' to '2' position. In 'P' position front wheels are locked so it works, in 'N' position wheels are free so it works....shifting in R,D4,D3,2 car doesn't move but stay as 'N' position, engine rev up freely...

About brakes....I don't know about it...but when car worked in the past, usually I shifting without keeping foot on brake...

2oodoor
10-17-2007, 04:52 AM
sounds like the pump got damaged while doing the torque converter, or possibly the torque converter is no good. The cost of going into these transmissions IF YOU ARE NOT DOING IT YOURSELF is going to be expensive, and still a gamble along with that. You would be way better off to just get another complete transmission from a wrecker.

POS carb
10-17-2007, 07:44 AM
a few things to check: make sure the 2 oil cooler hoses are connected to the radiator, make sure throttle valve cable is connected and moving, make sure fluid level is correct, make sure the mechanic filled the torque converter before installing it. the shop manual on www.pauldesign.ru has a good rebuild section with step-by-step

Teratani
10-17-2007, 10:29 PM
Ok thanks I'll check for this things.

Anyway if oil pump really got damaged what should I do?

AccordB20A
10-18-2007, 12:31 AM
times like these make you wish they were local so you can help them fix their car :)

2oodoor
10-18-2007, 04:04 AM
times like these make you wish they were local so you can help them fix their car :)

yea really, we need a jet and a aerodeck or 4th gen wagon with "the geez squad" graphic on the side :thumbup:

2oodoor
10-18-2007, 04:16 AM
I think you need somebody else working on the car, if he said the pressure was ok and you still have no motion, something is way wrong with that. If the pressure was ok you would have SOME kind of output even if it was a creep forward, I say that in consideration you said the tranny was working fine before.

Teratani
10-20-2007, 03:42 AM
If the pressure was ok you would have SOME kind of output even if it was a creep forward, I say that in consideration you said the tranny was working fine before.
Yeah, I thought the same thing...

Anyway I take out my car from there and searching for another mech that I know very well and he just worked in the past on car. The bad is: this guy is very far so it take an expensive towing...

I'll show him tips on this thread and I hope the previous damn mech hasn't got damaged tranny.

News coming up soon, so thank u very much for your support! :cheers:

2oodoor
10-20-2007, 07:43 AM
good luck
One thing I really have to force myself to not do is put down another techs work when I am talking to a "customer" So I may have done that here in a manner of speaking, but I am just trying to advise you on this problem. That said, you may want to realize a lot of guys will not care what was said here when you go to have your car fixed somewhere , but you can use the topics in this thread in your presentation of the problem to the new tech... just try to keep it out of the he said she said format ??? hope you get what I am saying.

It is never good to sensationalize someone elses errors, just present the problems streght forward with the focus of the conversation solely on the goal of getting the car fixed as effeicently and reliable as possible. Say the facts of what was wrong to begin with, what was done, and what the problem is right now. Let them ask the questions.:)