PDA

View Full Version : Bad Oil leak, Need some Help!

Catalyst
09-30-2007, 03:22 PM
Well it seems my poor little hatchie has developed a nasty oil leak. I just had my oil changed about a week and a half ago by a local place because the manager likes me and gives me 50% off, so I figured what the hell. I usually do it myself but Im busy with school and dont have alot of time to spare. I was driving down the highway coasting down a hill, spinning about 2.5k RPM, not running the motor very hard, when all of the sudden my oil light comes on.....thats when I was baffled because I had just had my oil changed a week and a half ago, so I didnt think it could already be low again. My car has always burned a little bit of oil, but its never been bad. So I immediately pull over, and shut the car off. To my surprise, I look under the car, and there is Oil all over my driver side suspension, and Inside my wheel well, and its dripping like crazy. It was a pretty good stream coming from the Driver Side of the engine somewhere, but my car is too low and I could not get under there to see where it was leaking. After it was done pissing oil, I checked how much was still in the motor, and It was barely showing up on the dipstick. So I dumped a quart in, and carefully limped her about a mile home. I originally thought maybe it was just leaking from the oil filter, or oil filter base, but to my surprise, It doesnt seem to be leaking from there. It seems to be leaking from the drivers side of the engine, from the timing / pulleys / belts area, near the bottom. Seems to be leaking from near the bottom of engine on that side, but I cant pinpoint it becuase there is oil everywhere. It doesnt seem to leak as bad after the car is shut off, when there is no more oil pressure built up. So I put some more oil in her today, and took her for a short drive to town, and when I got back, it wasnt leaking as bad as it was before, but It was a constant drip, at a good pace. So I'm stumped as to what could be leaking, for I am no mechanic.. So what do you guys think I should do? Do you think its something serious? The car seems to still run fine, but It just leaks a whole lotta oil. Its not coming from the valve cover gasket either.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Catalyst
09-30-2007, 05:37 PM
bump? anyone have any ideas?

russiankid
09-30-2007, 05:45 PM
My guess would be the: oil pan gasket, front engine seal, oil pump.

Catalyst
09-30-2007, 07:43 PM
Well It didn't appear to be the oil pan gasket. Isnt the oil pump located near the front of the engine? I could definitely be wrong... But the leak is mostly on the drivers side of the engine, and in the back. I really hope its not something serious.. Maybe Cam seals?

LX-incredible
09-30-2007, 08:49 PM
Well It didn't appear to be the oil pan gasket. Isnt the oil pump located near the front of the engine? I could definitely be wrong... But the leak is mostly on the drivers side of the engine, and in the back. I really hope its not something serious.. Maybe Cam seals?

It's driven by the timing belt, so it's possible. Could be the crank or cam seals as well. Pull the belt cover and see what's up. My money is on the pump.

Hauntd ca3
09-30-2007, 09:58 PM
I'd say the crank end seal.
Theres a big oil gallery to feed that end of the crank for the bearings.
And at best part of 60 psi oil pressure it'll go path of least resistance.
Which could quite poss be the nice soft neoprene seal.
Mind you , i've heard of oil gallery plugs being popped out.
Hope you sort it.
Nothing worse than dead engines in hot hondas

Catalyst
10-01-2007, 10:13 AM
Thanks for the input guys, If I have time today Ill pull the belt cover so I can see better.

Catalyst
10-09-2007, 11:56 AM
UPDATE: Well shes in the shop right now. Turned to be not only the Cam seal leaking a little bit, but the oil pump as well. So I'm getting those 2 replaces along with the timing belt while hes at it. This is probably gonna cost a fortune. :D Ah well, that car is worth it.

MessyHonda
10-09-2007, 12:28 PM
UPDATE: Well shes in the shop right now. Turned to be not only the Cam seal leaking a little bit, but the oil pump as well. So I'm getting those 2 replaces along with the timing belt while hes at it. This is probably gonna cost a fortune. :D Ah well, that car is worth it.

hope you have a cam gear to go with it.

if not i have a custom one that i took off my car...its on my sig

2oodoor
10-10-2007, 09:00 AM
hope you have a cam gear to go with it.

if not i have a custom one that i took off my car...its on my sig

I thought that one was no good, it slips..?? I had a suggestion on how to remedy that by the way.

Oil pumps leak, it is pretty common on high miles, you can see a small trail of oil coming from it after you clean off the side of the block with the lower cover off. These seem to leak even without the car running , a little.

MessyHonda
10-10-2007, 10:08 AM
I thought that one was no good, it slips..?? I had a suggestion on how to remedy that by the way.

Oil pumps leak, it is pretty common on high miles, you can see a small trail of oil coming from it after you clean off the side of the block with the lower cover off. These seem to leak even without the car running , a little.

well within like 14 months it sliped like 2 degress. that is like 13k miles on the engine....i will see if the GE one will hold us since it only has 4 bolts...and the custom one had 6.

Catalyst
10-10-2007, 04:47 PM
Woot well I got my car back today, and shes running better than ever! I was only separated from my car for 3 days but it felt like 3 weeks! I'm glad to have her back in good running condition. The mechanic even told me that that car was extremely clean, and in great mechanical condition overall for its age!

AccordB20A
10-10-2007, 05:17 PM
good to see its all fixed and ready ! i know whats its like to go without my car :O