PDA

View Full Version : Se-i volume controls grafted onto other 3gees?

mboardman
10-01-2007, 06:36 PM
Ive got an 89 LXi, and really miss the volume controls on the steering wheel. Any chance someone has already tried installing the controls from a parted out Sei, and successfully installed them on a lower trim level model? pitfalls? can it be done? extra equipment needed, or head unit compatibility issues too numerous? anyone?

lostforawhile
10-01-2007, 06:46 PM
you need the wheel and the horn/cruise control ring. it should fit. i believe the volume output switches are + 12 volts just like the cruise. you would need relays. hook it up with a couple of relays,get an extra remote for your stereo, and build it into the car somewhere hidden,like the center console. you can detach the IR led from the remote circuit board and remote mount the led. then the switched outputs of the relays operate the volume up and down function of the radio. you can also hide a couple of small buttons under the shroud around the key switch,wire them in and you can switch cd tracks.

mboardman
10-01-2007, 07:00 PM
Oh! Thats a great idea! that way i can avoid tearing into the steering column too much.

Another interior question - will the slideout cupholder from below the radio in an Sei bolt into the console in any 3rd gen? I want a damn cupholder!

labeledsk8r
10-01-2007, 07:16 PM
Oh! Thats a great idea! that way i can avoid tearing into the steering column too much.

Another interior question - will the slideout cupholder from below the radio in an Sei bolt into the console in any 3rd gen? I want a damn cupholder!

only into the Lx-i center console (tape holer spot) the DX and LX doesnt have the little upright peice the comes from the plastic around the shifter, if you have a DX/LX you can just put an sei/lxi front console with the cup holders

RobT5580
10-09-2007, 08:05 AM
Ive got an 89 LXi, and really miss the volume controls on the steering wheel. Any chance someone has already tried installing the controls from a parted out Sei, and successfully installed them on a lower trim level model? pitfalls? can it be done? extra equipment needed, or head unit compatibility issues too numerous? anyone?

I have the steering wheel and bose assembly pm me if your interested in them.

lostforawhile
10-09-2007, 03:16 PM
I have the steering wheel and bose assembly pm me if your interested in them.
read the post i put up, the wheel should fit,you just have to swap out the cruise/horn slip ring,then you would have a couple of exta wires these are positive outputs that corospond to the volume buttons,as i said before,use relays from those outputs and wire them into an exta hidden remote for your headunit.edit:sorry that was for mboardman