PDA

View Full Version : tint question

netfreak
09-15-2002, 08:26 PM
I'm putting some 20% tint stuff on my windows but it doesn't look all that dark.. Is the higher percentage the darker stuff? I looked at it and it looks lighter so I'm confused.

Mike89Accordcom
09-15-2002, 10:49 PM
I have 20% on my honda, and 15% on my TL. The lower the number, the darker it will be. For example, limo tint is 5%. 20 is pretty dark, I like it.

netfreak
09-15-2002, 11:24 PM
Ahhhhhh... Damn i should have known that earlier. No big deal though, I'm just using cheap roll-on stuff I picked up at canadian tire for now. It cost me $30 cdn to do the back doors and window haha.

YK86
09-16-2002, 01:33 AM
If you are going to get it done professionally in the near future, it's okay. But that Canadian Tire stuff is junk (I used it on my first car). It is also the dyed kind so it will fade to purple in a while plus the adheasive is weak. It will look okay for about a year if you take your time and do it nicely though.

FatBob
09-16-2002, 02:08 PM
I have 32% (Meaning only 32% of light can go though it) and I hayt it

Really doesnt have do do with his but I though I should vent some anger

netfreak
09-16-2002, 05:43 PM
Yeah I'll probably have it done professionally when I get a paint job but for $30 I cant argue with that CT stuff.. I cut the pieces (horribly too :D) so now I just have to stick em on. I'll put pics up if it actually works.

YK86
09-17-2002, 02:27 AM
Stick them on the outside of the window (with the backing still on of course) and cut along the edges using a sharp exacto knife. It also really helps to take the door panels off so you can get down below the panel line (if you don't, the tint tends to get caught on the panel every time you roll the window down). And when youapply it, use lots of soapy water. This gives you plenty of time to get things right before it drys and sticks for good. I wouldn't try the rear window though. It's too curved and the CT stuff probably can't be heat shrunk to fit the lines so you will have cracks/wrinkles everywhere.

netfreak
09-17-2002, 04:27 PM
I did the cutting on the outside and it went OK.. the back window tint does work kinda. I had it pressed on the outside of the window while I was doing the cutting and there were no real visible problems. I did also leave some space to allow for the window rolling down but it's not a big deal if I have to leave them up.