PDA

View Full Version : cheapest all season tire?

mboardman
10-01-2007, 09:09 PM
Im not into modifying my accord, I like it stock. I use it for work, and love it. I need two rear tires soon, and wondering what is the cheapest tire someone has found and where to get it?

I see decent tires for $45 at tirerack.com, but I cant for the life of me imagine paying for shipping on tires! by the time I do that, I might as well have bought the same tires at sears or walmart. the end cost is the same. Im trying to get it done for $100 or under.

help a cheapskate brotha out.

MessyHonda
10-01-2007, 11:39 PM
you cant beat costco/sam club prices on tires. check walmart also.

mboardman
10-02-2007, 05:36 AM
well, checking the lxi size of 195/60R14 tells me walmart has one tire in that size, at $115 each. costco, same thing. not a member of sams.

sears.com lists a good Kumho tire for $52, same as on the front now, but somehow the price for two tires ends up being $170 when I call for an estimate? good god what are they charging for balancing? I can mount the tire on the rim at home, and bolt it up, I have a shop and tools. maybe I should just buy the tire and take it home.

DBMaster
10-02-2007, 07:32 AM
Figuring tire costs is fun. You have to add state disposal fee (in Texas $3 per tire), sales tax, federal excise tax (who knows why), balancing (they always try to get you to pay extra for the lifetime balance), and road hazard. By the time you get done the tire costs 30% more than the advertised price. It's gotten as bad as phone, hotel, or rental car bills.

My last set in that size were Kuhmo from Discount. They were about 70 bucks each before all the other charges. I use H-rated tires, though. I tend to stick with places like Discount Tire because there are lots of locations to get replacement or repair done if you have a problem. Sam's and Costco are somewhat less convenient for me.

MessyHonda
10-02-2007, 11:05 AM
well, checking the lxi size of 195/60R14 tells me walmart has one tire in that size, at $115 each. costco, same thing. not a member of sams.

sears.com lists a good Kumho tire for $52, same as on the front now, but somehow the price for two tires ends up being $170 when I call for an estimate? good god what are they charging for balancing? I can mount the tire on the rim at home, and bolt it up, I have a shop and tools. maybe I should just buy the tire and take it home.

yeah you need a hook up...i only paid 46 bucks for my falken tires. high performance all season tires. i have access to a free tire mount and balancing machine. so i saved like 9 bucks per wheel and i didnt even have to pay the disposal fee since they reclycle them on the side of the job.

wasgivenanaccord
10-14-2007, 01:57 PM
Under $100 - Kumho's are a good bang for the buck... I just bought Fuzion HRi's - paid $65 (taxes in) - that's the price we get at the garage - usually mark up $20 on each tire - so you'll still be under the $100 mark. Pacific Mall (has a few "performance part" stores) had Falken summer only tires for $410 for the set of 4 taxes in - bear in mind this is Cdn $$$ and we get stuffed on the prices and pay 14% tax on top of those prices