PDA

View Full Version : Swapping Intake Manifolds

AccordB20A
10-02-2007, 02:00 AM
OK. Im thinking of installing a intake manifold from a blacktop b20a engine on my gold top engine. From what ive heard they flow better than the gold tops intake manifold and also has the advantage of the dual runners.
What I need to know it will the black box off the blacktop work with my 1985 ecu and wiring loom. Since it has one more feature (the dual runner actuator) OR will i need to purchase some sort of electronic rpm switch to enable the vacuume actuator to open the runners at a certain RPM??

Also i note the blacktop intake manifold has one more sensor on it. Sits right in the middle of the manifold, water lines go to it. is it a IAC controller???? has a 2 wire plug in it. Im sure it will work without it as the fast idle valve on the back of the intake manifold is still there and will still work as normal.

carotman
10-02-2007, 02:56 AM
You will need some kind of RPM switch for the IAB to work.

The "sensor" in front of the manifold is the IAC indeed.

Vector
10-02-2007, 10:18 AM
i used a tac w/shiftlight to a relay to control my iab solenoid when i was running the a20. i picked up the elcheapo tac from a surplus store. (called princess auto here)

AccordB20A
10-02-2007, 01:41 PM
But i am right in thinking the new intake will flow better right? Will i notice any power increase? Will i notice better fuel milage??

carotman
10-02-2007, 02:51 PM
Well, honestly if you wanted to swap manifolds, just stick with a B16A one. No IAB, no ecu hassles.

AccordB20A
10-02-2007, 04:22 PM
wouldnt that steal my low end torque and put it way up high when my engine dont rev?

79cord
10-02-2007, 04:32 PM
I thought that was the whole point of Dual length intake runners.
long = torque
short = outright power @ higher revs

Would that be controlled electronically via ECU or mechanically (spring loaded valve/butterfly) {vacuum or throttle} ?

Integra b18's also went to dual runners didn't they.

carotman
10-02-2007, 08:06 PM
You'll keep plenty of low end torque.

Even with my ultra big Edelbrock manifold, I got a decent torque curve... in fact it's almost a flat line.

AccordB20A
10-04-2007, 01:29 AM
well thats nice to know. i might do that when i put my rebuilt b20a in, for now ill stick with the blacktop intake.