PDA

View Full Version : Valve cover and oil&water leak while running, below intake manifold

paulwwww
10-02-2007, 04:23 PM
I will apologize up front, I imagine this info is out there, but here goes. 89 honda accord, pretty sure it's the A20A1 engine, can't find the tag under all that crud. I am definately replacing the valve cover gasket (don't think the distributor gasket is bad?? but will see after valve cover gasket replacement). I noticed shortly after I start the vehicle, within 2 to 3 minutes smoke starts puffing out from under the front side of the valve cover, providing picture, it is a steady stream of smoke. I am sure some of this is from the oil that has leaked all over the engine block. I was also wondering if some of that smoke was somehow from the intake manifold??? Smoke, far as my sniffer can tell (don't stay under that smoke for too long :-) ) very oily smoke. Also under the car directly below the intake manifold shroud, while the car is running, a small amount of water drips out and within 4 or 5 inches to the right of that a real runny small spot of oil appears. Any ideas on where the water is coming from?
Long story short I guess;
Spark plugs are pretty new, don't want to replace.
Figured I would use an engine degreaser prior to valve cover gasket replace, can I leave the plugs in while cleaning?
Does it make sense to remove the intake manifold shroud before any other work? Better inspection?? Or not?
And oh well what the hell, haven't figured out Image Shack yet. Hopefully these links will work. Any info would be greatly appreciated, thanks, btw love the site.

http://img214.imageshack.us/img214/3383/dscn1305ot6.jpg
http://img529.imageshack.us/img529/1170/dscn1303el9.jpg

labeledsk8r
10-02-2007, 04:41 PM
from what it looks like to me, the oil leak in the front seems to be left over oil, wipe as much of that crap off there, you said you just changed the gasket so im guesing you tourqed it down nice and tight so it should leak any more, it will take a few hours to fully burn that off. now there rear i cant tell very well form the pic, but it seem the be comeing from the thermostat houseing, mayby you losend one of the 2 (or was it 3) bolts that holds the thermo houseing to the block, if not it could be that the little o ring (its actully not a O) is going bad, so try to dry it up and watch exactly were its comeing from, the fact that it seems oil most likely is becuse you have a dirty engine bay and hot water is just lifting some of that to make it oil. just dry it up and run it and try to see exactly were it starts seping out, im guesing its at one of the places were the water valveing bolts to the block

paulwwww
10-02-2007, 05:02 PM
Thanks for the info, I haven't replaced the valve cover gasket yet, planned on spraying some engine degreasor before removing it, do you think its ok to leave the spark plugs in during spray down?

Vanilla Sky
10-02-2007, 05:58 PM
You need a torque wrench to get the torque right on the valve cover bolts. Only tighten them to 8ft/lbs.

Also, you need to apply black RTV at the corners of the sealing surface.

And for informational purposes, you do have an a20a1.

paulwwww
10-02-2007, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the info, I believe it is A20A1, I can't read the ID tag under the gunk. Made in Marysville. After looking over the honda service manual posted on this site, everything looks identical to that engine model.

Demon1024
10-02-2007, 06:07 PM
YES leave them in! you'll wash that crap into your block if you don't. Does it still run right? that thermostat housing is hell to get to,but a little gasket sealer will do wonders on it as long as the rubber is still intake and not missing peices or anything. i had a leak on mine changing the head it's that damned EGR piping that get's in the way have to use wrenches.
be sure to check all your hoses at the connector and the connectors themselves are tight.
I'dont think there's any hoses under the intake? hope it's not your head...

paulwwww
10-02-2007, 10:01 PM
Thanks for the reply, yes its running good, well outside of not breaking out of a cold idle without hitting the gas, deal with that later. I will look closely around the thermostat housing to see if I can determine exactly where the water is leaking, all the hoses look ok. I work nights so my posts maybe at weird hours. My goal is to start this tomorrow afternoon. Thanks again this gives me a great start.

labeledsk8r
10-02-2007, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the reply, yes its running good, well outside of not breaking out of a cold idle without hitting the gas, deal with that later. .

thats normal, only way to get rid of that is Fuel injection swap, or i think you can convert to a manuel choke, its one of the joys of a carbed car

Demon1024
10-03-2007, 12:18 AM
I wish i had a carb too. i work nights too at a liquor store so me to on wierd times
It's not uncommon to start leaking under the holders specially if u've got screw down ones.