PDA

View Full Version : power antenna again

mboardman
10-02-2007, 05:58 PM
Ive run searches but not found quite the advice I was looking for. My Lxi power antenna actually is connected and gets radio signal fine, and it even retracts and extends, sometimes needs a little help. BUT....it wont retract all the way. Being collapsible, its made of progrssively larger diameter tubes. The largest would be the last to go in, and that outer-most/thickest tube is staying above the car about a foot or so. Ive pushed very hard on it, to no avail. I hate to break it, so Im afraid of pushing/pulling too hard.

Any suggestions as to how to get it to go down? Can I then disable the switch/motor by yanking a fuse? I dont want to extend it accidentally, once I get it stuffed back in.....

mboardman
10-02-2007, 06:34 PM
nevermind fellas, I finally got a little frustrated and yanked harder on the outer mast, and a kinked section finally came out. I carefully bent the kink mostly straight. Well, straight enough to shove the whole thing back in, nice and neat.

Now all I got to do is find a way to disable the switch. fusebox under the dash didnt seem to have a seperate fuse for the antenna.....

dlr1989
10-02-2007, 07:17 PM
I try too hard to make mine work properly.:) So a guess. Maybe just pull the connector off of the back of the switch in the center console. Just make sure that the jacks inside the plastic connector socket can't short out to anything.

ghettogeddy
10-02-2007, 07:36 PM
just unplug the switch

MessyHonda
10-03-2007, 09:16 AM
it should not be a problem the switch is mounted there not alot of stuff goes. i never had a problem bumping into it. but yeah you can just unplug it from the back of the switch.

mboardman
10-03-2007, 11:53 AM
unplugged! now I suppose I should silicone the antenna base plate up, to avoid leaks.

Hauntd ca3
10-03-2007, 11:29 PM
Should try finding the rear windscreen from a 88/89 so you get the aerial in
the rear screen. then you can fill up the old hole for a cleaner look.
You have to get the signal booster or the signal comes and goes heaps.
Looks tons better and one less place for them to rust or leak