PDA

View Full Version : valve cover - easy removal and replacement?

mboardman
10-02-2007, 06:29 PM
I have nothing wrong with my engine. But I just bought this car at 202k and couldnt get any history of repairs or maintenance from the owner, and would really like to inspect the timing belt. Ive tried several dealerships in the area, no help. Im too cheap for carfax, and not sure it would tell me mundane maintenance items like this.

I can wrench a fair amount on my own, and I ve got decent tools and a shop area. My question is - is the valve cover ok to just take off? Or am I risking something in the removal? I mean, it looks like 3-5 bolts and its off? Then some black rtv for seal it back up once Im done turning the belt? As far as that goes, how does one turn the belt to inspect it?

A18A
10-02-2007, 06:55 PM
you dont have to take the valve cover off to check the belt, just the couple 10mm bolts holding the timing belt cover on, and put a wrench on the crank bolt and rotate it anti-clockwise

bobafett
10-02-2007, 07:00 PM
yeah taking off the valve cover won't give you any better view either. like he said, the upper timing cover needs to be removed. some of the bolts can be a pita if i remember correctly, but its not too bad. (I might be thinking of the lower timing cover, which is a serious pita to remove).

mboardman
10-02-2007, 07:10 PM
cool, thanks fellas. will try in the morning.

russiankid
10-02-2007, 07:11 PM
To inspect the timing belt you just need to remove the cover which is held on by 2 10mm bolts. The only part you will have trouble on is when you put the cover back on. The seal needs to fit into the grooves of the cover and the cover snaps in. As for valve cover, if you do end up removing it, which you probably wouldn't, you would need to get a valve cover gasket not black RTV sealant. A Honda gasket is recommended. You will need some RTV sealant but that is just for certain areas.

88Accord-DX
10-02-2007, 07:54 PM
I'd change it with that many miles. Looking at it isn't going to get nowhere.

mboardman
10-02-2007, 08:08 PM
I'd change it with that many miles.

well, I have no idea when it was changed last. I doubt its went the full 200k on that belt. Probably was changed at 90-100 like most are, then maybe not again. It may be due again.

How much are they? Are they a bitch to do yourself?

88Accord-DX
10-02-2007, 08:25 PM
well, I have no idea when it was changed last. I doubt its went the full 200k on that belt. Probably was changed at 90-100 like most are, then maybe not again. It may be due again.

How much are they? Are they a bitch to do yourself?

Gates timing belt will run somewhere around $35-$45. Their not really hard, just make sure your at TDC at #1 piston. The removal of the crankshaft bolt will be the most difficult part of the job.Need to remove the side motor mount & accessory belts along with upper & lower timing covers. Check the idler pulley & make sure all your timing marks are all lined up on the crank & cam sprocket. Need to turn the crank bolt 2 revolutions after belt install so everything is still lined up.

stat1K
10-02-2007, 09:12 PM
HAHAHAHA i almost peed myself. you do realize this is the guy who asked about valve cover easy or not right? and they're not hard if you have the right tools and space and maybe a friend to help out. also if you've done it a million times like ddude2uc has it's pretty simple.

88Accord-DX
10-02-2007, 10:22 PM
Valve cover gasket- just make sure the gasket is cleaned out of the valve cover good along on top of the head surface. Use new acorns which come with a gasket set. Fel-pro has a ok set & tighten from inward to outward. If you want, set the valve gap clearance on the rocker arms while the cover is off. Would be wise choice since your in there.

Yes, I've done a few of these gasket sets & timing belt changes. Here is an example of the latest. Honda Civic with 1.6- D16Z6 engine.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/ddude2uc/D16oldbelt.jpg

Demon1024
10-02-2007, 11:51 PM
you do have to remove the valve cover to take off the upper timing belt cover don't u? i always did and whats this i keep hearing get a new valve cvr gastket each time u take it off? i replaced mine when i first got it but i've been into it at least 20 times checking rechecking valves and the timing belt. just put it back on no leaks no problems def worth a try tho the gasket is cheap! I've never had to use sealant on mine either i'm i lucky or what?:)

russiankid
10-03-2007, 03:49 AM
you do have to remove the valve cover to take off the upper timing belt cover don't u? i always did and whats this i keep hearing get a new valve cvr gastket each time u take it off? i replaced mine when i first got it but i've been into it at least 20 times checking rechecking valves and the timing belt. just put it back on no leaks no problems def worth a try tho the gasket is cheap! I've never had to use sealant on mine either i'm i lucky or what?:)

You do not need to remove the valve cover to do the timing belt. There is a timing belt cover that snaps under the valve cover, if you remove that you reveal the timing belt.

bobafett
10-03-2007, 07:39 AM
if you are somewhat mechanically inclined and understand the directions on how to change a timing belt, I would say it is doable. Plan on changing the valve cover gasket just because its easy, and whenever changing the timing belt I would always do the water pump as well.

Personally for parts like this I will only use OEM Honda parts but they ARE definitely more money.

Plan on it taking a whole day or even longer if you have never done it before. But if you can get a buddy to give you a hand who has done it before you should be able to knock it out in a few hours.

Its really not THAT bad. :)

bubba g
10-03-2007, 11:24 AM

I had to take mine off.I couldn't get the plastic cover out without breaking it if I was to leave the vc on. I put the valve cover back on with the old gasket and had no leaks.