PDA

View Full Version : Weird carb issues.

prototype
10-03-2007, 12:44 PM
Ok, when I first got the 86 hatch, it idled at 4k. after removing all the emissions and black box, she runs good for the first time... however! I noticed when I first got teh car the choke on the primary never opened all the way.. It's at about 1/4" open when warmed up. Well if I take my manual choke and choke the car that much she idles great, but if I open the choke all the way (like i used to do on my 87 after I converted it to manual choke) the car spudders and I've tried adjusting the idle mixture to compensate but it's not doing much of anything.

Any suggestions how to fix this?

prototype
10-03-2007, 04:37 PM
Also, as a side note, this may be helpful to know. All vacuum ports have been plugged on the manifold, the carb has been cleaned and rebuilt. The float is set to correct height. Right now I'm leaning toward either carb-manifold gasket, or intake manifold gasket. Also, for the heck of it, trying a PCV valve tomorrow. Oh and the booster venturis are seated securely (that was a major problem on my 87).

:wtf:

POS carb
10-15-2007, 12:53 PM
there are three vacuum lines on the rear of the carb tophat, one of these is the power valve and needs vacuum, otherwise you run lean(er) :b
i can't remember which one tho, it's been a while. check the vacuum diagram

POS carb
10-15-2007, 12:57 PM
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11067
vacuum line # 14, closest to the fuel line. That and the distributor advance should have direct manifold vacuum

prototype
10-23-2007, 05:33 PM
I hooked that up per specification and still not much. I did wire the choke to about 1/4" open and the car runs perfect! I did some research and found that honda produced a few of these carbs. Even to go as far as a high altitude and a low altitude version. It'd be ideal to grab the carb off the older accord because it'll have less of these vacuum lines to plug... But I've decided not to fool with that anymore, and I'm going to get something that was meant to run with no emissions hardly.

A weber? Actually... I've found the holley 5200 off of a chevy Vega or Monza happen to be co-designed by weber, and thus have the same flange, jets, etc. They are almost identical. Only difference I've found, is price... especially since a few companies on Ebay have recently came into large qauntities of these old Holley's..

$50 New. :D

:cheers:

Get them while they're abundant and cheap. hehe.

prototype
10-23-2007, 05:34 PM
http://www.surpluselectron.com/aaron/holley.htm

This site has some good information on the holley 5200 series carbs FYI