PDA

View Full Version : door hinge pins?

mboardman
10-03-2007, 09:25 PM
My drivers door seemed to be slightly catching on the forward molding lips of the rear door whenever I opened it, and I noticed a small amount of play when I grab the door edge and try moving up and down. Do those hinge pins commonly wear? Can I swap with the pins in the rear door? Or the pass frt door? The sticking bugs me. This is just a work car, so Im not crazy about spending money on new pins, unless they're super cheap.

Hauntd ca3
10-03-2007, 09:39 PM
There will be a smal amount of play in them.
Could be you need to adjust the hinges.
Coz it dont sound like the door is square in the frame.
Can be a bit fiddly to adjust by urself.
you need a floor jack and a length of 4x2 timber to hold the door while you do the tweaking.

BITESIZE
10-03-2007, 09:47 PM
Hurry and get it fixed before you open the door and your fender bends in half.

mboardman
10-04-2007, 05:22 AM
how does one adjust these pins/hinges? They dont look like they can be adjusted. Just in or out....

The door isnt touching anything but a one-inch length of rubber molding near the top of the rear door. No fender touching here.

Tomisimo
10-04-2007, 09:40 AM
if you unbolt fender, there you'll see hinges wide open for adjustments... there is one trick to fool play there.
if you loosen a bit. "like half round" at one hinge. so it had to have ability to slide with force. and then hammer on it. from above. tighten it and volla.. REMEMBER. Dont unbolt those as one. one at the time so you dont drop the door down.

And yes. the doors are adjustable. trick is to loosen tree of four bolts. and slide the whole thing backwards. start with upper. then tighten the upper bolt and loosen down. and slide it back. that way if you keep one bolt shut, you'll never drop whole door down...

Any questions? bring it. I'll try to explain...

LX-incredible
10-04-2007, 01:22 PM
My drivers door seemed to be slightly catching on the forward molding lips of the rear door whenever I opened it, and I noticed a small amount of play when I grab the door edge and try moving up and down. Do those hinge pins commonly wear? Can I swap with the pins in the rear door? Or the pass frt door? The sticking bugs me. This is just a work car, so Im not crazy about spending money on new pins, unless they're super cheap.

I don't think they sell the pins or the bushings separately, but the hinges go for around $30 each.

Tomisimo
10-04-2007, 03:07 PM
I don't think they sell the pins or the bushings separately, but the hinges go for around $30 each.

sure there is easy way around it thou ^^^

88Accord-DX
10-04-2007, 03:59 PM
sure there is easy way around it thou ^^^

Edit- I'll try that moving the hinge around as you mentioned. Hopefully I don't have to ream the holes to make up for any slack the pins are giving.

lostforawhile
10-04-2007, 04:46 PM
the hindges were cheap on majestic honda

mboardman
10-05-2007, 07:53 PM
I dont think I need to move the hinges themselves, it feels more like the pins might be worn and allowing the door to have a bit of play or looseness. Those pins rotate every time you open/close the door, so I imagine they're worn by now. I think I'll try swapping one pin with the pass rear door, see what that does.

LX-incredible
10-05-2007, 09:06 PM
It's usually not the pins that wear, it's the bushings.

labeledsk8r
10-05-2007, 09:10 PM
i got the same thing from actully getting the door bent, my dick head buddy desided to open my pass door to take out some cones that i was driveing by, after that the door would snag when you tried to open it i never could get it to closes exactly right after that , i allways thought i would have to just get another door lol