PDA

View Full Version : Fuel cell problem

cygnus x-1
10-04-2007, 07:13 PM
This is for anyone who has put a fuel cell in the trunk of a car, 3 g or otherwise. What kind of hose did you use for the high and low pressure lines and where are they run?
I recently put a fuel cell in the trunk of my 2g Prelude and I'm having an issue with a strong fuel smell in the car when it's sitting. It's not generally a problem while driving because I usually drive with the window open. But even with the windows up I can only barely smell it if at all. I've checked many times for leaks and I haven't found any; not a drop. Anyone ever have an issue like this?

C|

bubba g
10-05-2007, 10:44 AM
I use #6 or #8 jic hydraulic hoses. They are basically the same as -AN flare hoses you buy for race cars but without the price. You can usually have them made at a tractor dealer. I run them under the car next to the frame(or subframe)

Did you hook up the vent hose the the evap. system? If not it is probably venting into the trunk. I would definitely get a vent hooked up if you dont have one. The gasoline fumes could build up in your trunk and all it would take is a little spark and boom :burn:

2oodoor
10-05-2007, 10:49 AM
might want to check IHRA or NHRA rules to see what the standard is

cygnus x-1
10-05-2007, 05:38 PM
For the high pressure line I used braided stainless fuel hose with anodized AN fittings. Pricey but they work well. For the return and low pressure line to the pump I first used the standard 30R7 type black fuel hose. But after reading online some I found that 30R7 has a pretty high permeation rate, meaning that fuel actually soaks through the hose and evaporates into the air. The amount of permeation is actually more than you would think. So I was thinking that might be the cause of the smell. Then I tried some Aeroquip pushlock socketless hose. It's expensive but it's far better hose so I thought it would have a lower permeation rate. But the smell is still there.

The vent hose goes through the trunk floor to under the car. I don't think that's the problem. Also tried to find the NHRA rules but I can't find them online; even at the NHRA site. It think they want you to join or something first.

At this point I'm thinking about going back to the stock tank. I'll have to add in a return tube and find a place to mount my gargantuan Ford fuel pump. But better that than getting a headache from the fumes or risking an explosion.

C|