PDA

View Full Version : Battery Draining After A Week... May have found the problem!

azazel_18_2
10-05-2007, 05:27 AM
I bought a good ole fuse buddy. went from fuse to fuse and found my headlight retractor fuse is eating .25 amps. Over a week I am sure that will eat my battery. I have replaced the relays and the combonation switch. I checked all the wires and they are good. When I plug hte fuse in I could hear a click. I tracked that down to the relays so they are staying energized the whole time. Maybe I need a new headlight controller? Maybe this is why my headlights go crazy if I plug their fuses in?

Hauntd ca3
10-06-2007, 01:56 PM
Quarter on an amp isnt a hell of alot.
The memory for the clock or stereo prob draws that much.
See if you can hook up your fuse buddy to find out how much load is on the batt.
Take off the batt+ lead and put the fuse buddy thing or an ammeter between the lead and batt terminal, just like a jumper wire between the two.
shuldnt have more than half an amp or so.
Mind you ,how old/big is your batt.

2oodoor
10-06-2007, 05:03 PM
just some things I run across with this problem.
the over head dome light, even if it has the bulb removed, if the switch is in the on position it will drain the battery. wierd
the trunk light can stay on
glove box light
also on these cars the brake light switch hits the pedal bracket, right where the tip of the switch hits there is a rubber grommet plug, this plug has fallen out on mine and made the brake lights stay on. the tip of the switch just passes thru the bracket pedal..wierd
weak relays can just be making contact, there are tiny contacts like ignition points inside the relay that can get almost welded together and not completley break contact.