PDA

View Full Version : New custom front strut brace....

Jasonf860
10-07-2007, 03:22 PM
So I set out to build a custom front strut brace today. Excuse the fuzzy pics, and the crude welding. I was having some trouble with the wire feed on the mig welder... I'll take some better pics tomorrow after work when it's light out...
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m128/jasonf860/bar.jpg

And the bar-end...
http://i103.photobucket.com/albums/m128/jasonf860/barend.jpg
Not a bad design for a carbed car is it? What do you guys think?

EricW
10-07-2007, 06:02 PM
Not a bad idea, but I don't thing that the brace will to as much as a real one. The mounting tabs probably won't support that much movement bolted to just one bolt. If I where you I would try to get a hold of a civic air box to mount on the carb it will give you more room to put a strut tower bar between the towers. Or just re-enforce the strut tower mounts.

Jasonf860
10-07-2007, 06:06 PM
I've got a civic airbox in the shed. It's actually bolts to 4 points, 2 on each side. I may add a third bolt point by adding another arm that will extend to the upper control arm bolt. It will be essentially the same design as a Neuspeed bar.

M3Galaxie
10-07-2007, 06:27 PM
I think what EricW is saying is that you need a plate that goes around the shock on the tower. The offset bar, to get around the air cleaner may work, but the ends need to be stong enough so that when the side try to come together the tab doesn't just flex.

MessyHonda
10-08-2007, 12:18 AM
nice work Jason.

hurry up with that fuel injection swap already...haha

BITESIZE
10-08-2007, 12:21 AM
Make me a strut bar.

labeledsk8r
10-08-2007, 12:53 AM
Looks like a good set up, anyone knows a triangle has more strength then a bar. allthough a 2 bolt set at the top would make me feel safer, but its a kick seup, theres not alot of options on bars for carbs. oh and if your limited on space and dont wana run the stupid civic box, choping the stock box takes about an inch off each side of the box so it gives a little room for play. anyways keep it up, and more pics please

Jasonf860
10-08-2007, 03:18 AM
Thanks for the feedback guys, keep it coming! I may work on adding that second tab to the front bolt on the upper control arm. It's very rigid as it is, but a second point on the strut tower would be much better.

The only thing that sucks about this set-up is that I can no longer use my hood prop rod!

EricW
10-08-2007, 06:35 AM
I think what EricW is saying is that you need a plate that goes around the shock on the tower.

yep or just something stronger then that little piece of steel. Bolted down in more than just one place.

Jasonf860
10-08-2007, 06:46 AM
Trust me, that tab is a lot stronger than you think, but I agree, I do need to add a second mount on the strut tower itself. I'll be doing that as soon as it stops raining out.

My inspiration for this design came from the Neuspeed bar on my Mom's 4th gen. It's a "K" set up and each brach of the K bolts to the UCA bolts. I think tying in the strut mount, the UCA, and the front radiator support should provide a lot of structural rigidity. I would have liked to mount to the firewall, but there are no readily available mounts already in place.

Bglad420
10-08-2007, 11:11 AM
You need to have tose braces renforced to the fire wall not the rad support. Thats a weak brace for it and it's opposite from your strut angle. So your really not stiffening it that much.

paulwwww
10-08-2007, 08:37 PM
OK as the newbie, what does this type of setup gain you?

BITESIZE
10-08-2007, 08:53 PM
Everyone needs to quit bashing on him. Nice job, just make it better and sell me one. :)

M3Galaxie
10-09-2007, 05:31 AM
^haha I don't think anyone is bashing...you told him to make it better.
We are trying to help him improve apon his design; from what we can see.
I'd like one too...:thumbup:

Jasonf860
10-09-2007, 05:44 AM
Eh, If I didn't want people's opinions, good or bad, I wouldn't have posted.

That being said, I do agree that the firewall would be a better place to mount to, but as I already stated, there are no readily available points to mount to there. The radiator support is plenty sturdy. Anyone who has rear ended someone can attest to that.

Now, While I agree, adding at least a second mount point to the bar will be beneficial, adding a plate that goes around the strut bolts will do nothing unless the bar has more than one "arm" attached to the plate. I could always make a second arm as I suggested and then brace the 2 together....

Jasonf860
10-09-2007, 04:43 PM
Since Geddy's thread... My brace is not mounted to the rad support, it's mounted to where the rad support mounts. I know, still not very sturdy, but in combination with other points it is.

mushroom_toy
10-09-2007, 09:23 PM
I did a rear strut bar a while back and am only using 2 bolts for it. So I think 2 on each side of the one you made is fine. i have given my car hell since then in the mountains and my bar hasnt came loose/snapped.

EDIT: nm i see that he was talking about that tab....yeh i would definitely make it just a tad bit thicker.

Jasonf860
10-10-2007, 09:53 AM
The tab is 1/4" plate steel. Any thicker and the nut won't go on and engage the threads properly. Second point is in the works though as soon as it stops raining!

Cheeseburger
10-10-2007, 10:05 AM
sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet!

clark_486
04-30-2008, 09:28 AM
what about one of these designs

#1 Behind the carb bar
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/3052000-3052999/3052003_24_full.jpg

#2 Behind the carb/ attached to firewall and crossbaced
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/4/web/3052000-3052999/3052003_25_full.jpg

i was thinking about making one like one of these. any ideas?

markmdz89hatch
04-30-2008, 11:26 AM
that would be a very good design as long as the mount to the strut top pics up at least the two closest strut bolts. I'd def get one if someone were willing to weld one up.

if that did get made though, i'd suggest a plate on the inside of the wiper motor area to bolt the trhough bolts to, so it's not just sitting straight on that thin sheetmetal.

Oldblueaccord
04-30-2008, 03:38 PM
This pisses people off when I say it but really you want to strengthen where the UCA (upper control arm) bolts to since on our type suspensions thats where all the cornering stress is. It would not be easy, alot of stuff in the way.
The struts on our car do not control the suspension(camber and caster) like a Macpherson strut car does hence the confusion. If it did the stuff these guys are doing with raising the top hat and using civic coil overs would not work at all. But again lil interest in the truth when there so much excitement in the theory.

wp

2drSE-i
04-30-2008, 07:26 PM
This pisses people off when I say it but really you want to strengthen where the UCA (upper control arm) bolts to since on our type suspensions thats where all the cornering stress is. It would not be easy, alot of stuff in the way.
The struts on our car do not control the suspension(camber and caster) like a Macpherson strut car does hence the confusion. If it did the stuff these guys are doing with raising the top hat and using civic coil overs would not work at all. But again lil interest in the truth when there so much excitement in the theory.

wp

um............JDM Corners improve my Volumetric Effeciency by 25% so I'm right!

clark_486
04-30-2008, 07:57 PM
i was thinking about it using all 6 bolts on the strut towers. so it would be a ring at the base.

ill look into that wiper motor area. i was favoring design #2 for the added bolt down points

Oldblueaccord
05-01-2008, 08:12 AM
http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/3921/oldbluesstrutbarrr4.th.png (http://img171.imageshack.us/my.php?image=oldbluesstrutbarrr4.png)

Stole your picture clark. I put my idea in blue.

wp

clark_486
05-01-2008, 10:01 AM
what are the blue bars bolted to?

Oldblueaccord
05-01-2008, 07:19 PM
It would use the same studs as the UCA and go back to the fire wall.

wp

clark_486
05-02-2008, 07:15 PM
why not tie them all together :D

edit: no for real!

Gemini2003
11-04-2013, 11:20 AM
Images are all broken in this thread :-(

cygnus x-1
11-13-2013, 08:33 AM
Images are all broken in this thread :-(

Yes, and unfortunately there is nothing we can do to recover them unless the original poster still has them.

C|