PDA

View Full Version : Lower Ball Joints and Alignment

BotchedExperiment
10-08-2007, 08:14 AM
Took my '79 hatch in to get it aligned. They said I need lower ball joints and there was no use in doing the alignment unless I replaced the ball joints. They quoted me $110 EACH plus $60.00 EACH for labor. That's $340.00!

Some questions:

I've searched this site, and found a bunch of threads about 3g (go figure) lower ball joints, but nothing about 1g. Is replacing 1g ball joints about the same difficulty as replacing the 3g's (my manual hasn't come yet).

If I'm going to replace the lower ball joints, is there anything else I should do while I'm at it?

How bad was the shop trying rip me off?

Thanks.

2ndGenGuy
10-08-2007, 09:55 AM
The 1g ball joints should be similar to the 3g, except easier. Doesn't sound like a totally unreasonable price. 1hr per side I don't think is too terrible. Maybe while you're in there, you might wanna get new tie rod ends. They're cheap and you can take them off at the same time while you're doing stuff up there. Just a thought.

I'm not sure how the 3g works, but I'm pretty sure the 1g ball joint comes with the control arm. So you buy the whole control arm (which is why they're $110/each), and the ball joint is all ready to go in it. You should only have to undo a couple bolts on the inner part of the control arm where it joins the body, and undo the pinch bolt in the steering knuckle and it drops out.

Hazwan
10-08-2007, 10:42 AM
The 1g ball joints should be similar to the 3g, except easier. Doesn't sound like a totally unreasonable price. 1hr per side I don't think is too terrible. Maybe while you're in there, you might wanna get new tie rod ends. They're cheap and you can take them off at the same time while you're doing stuff up there. Just a thought.

I'm not sure how the 3g works, but I'm pretty sure the 1g ball joint comes with the control arm. So you buy the whole control arm (which is why they're $110/each), and the ball joint is all ready to go in it. You should only have to undo a couple bolts on the inner part of the control arm where it joins the body, and undo the pinch bolt in the steering knuckle and it drops out.

yup, the 1g ball joint comes with the control arm, and the replacement is quite simple.

BotchedExperiment
10-08-2007, 10:52 AM
2nd Gen Guy and Hazwan, thank you very much for the info. I'll definitely try to do this myself.

I found some Spicer control arm/ball joint assemblies at Rockauto.com for $65.00 each. Napa sells the same control arm assemblies for $95.00.

Are the tie rod ends also pretty simple to install?

2ndGenGuy
10-08-2007, 11:55 AM
Tie rod ends are cake. Pull the codder pin, undo the top nut, pop it off the ball, and unscrew it from the tie rod. Mark how far the old tie rod end is threaded on and screw the new one on to that same position. Then assembly is the reverse. You shouldn't have to worry too much, as long as you get it aligned afterwards since they'll be adjusting those to set the toe, I'm pretty sure.