PDA

View Full Version : rad support bar

ghettogeddy
10-09-2007, 11:46 AM
u know now that its brought up the rad support is very flimsy cant we make a rad support thats stronger

i mean i can bend the stock piece in half

theres gota be some way to reinforce / replace the stock mount should help stiffen up even just s a little

Bglad420
10-09-2007, 12:58 PM
Why it doesn't do anything except hold your radiator inplace. Hence Rad Support.

ghettogeddy
10-09-2007, 12:59 PM
Why it doesn't do anything except hold your radiator inplace. Hence Rad Support.

but one it will look cool and to im sure it makes the front end a lil loose

labeledsk8r
10-09-2007, 02:10 PM
im sure you can make a custo one outa tubed steal? doesnt have to look like stock just as long as it has the mounting holes for the rad and the screw points to mount it. basic really mayby 2 hours pklaning and 3 hours tops custom fab work

ghettogeddy
10-09-2007, 02:32 PM
im sure you can make a custo one outa tubed steal? doesnt have to look like stock just as long as it has the mounting holes for the rad and the screw points to mount it. basic really mayby 2 hours pklaning and 3 hours tops custom fab work

ya the only thing i need to really worry about is hood clearance

labeledsk8r
10-09-2007, 02:37 PM
ya the only thing i need to really worry about is hood clearance

that falls into the 2 hours of planning. take all your messures of clearences and stock sizes , then you compair those to difrent types of metels and such. not really that hard, just kinda pointless i guess.

2drSE-i
10-22-2007, 10:26 AM
im sure if you made one out of solid stainless it would be fucking crazy stiff. Just unbolt your stock one and take it to a machine shop, tell them you want one made out of solid steel and they will hook it up cheap.

ghettogeddy
10-22-2007, 11:11 AM
im sure if you made one out of solid stainless it would be fucking crazy stiff. Just unbolt your stock one and take it to a machine shop, tell them you want one made out of solid steel and they will hook it up cheap.

i mean but would it make a dif cause i dont want to carry extra weight if its dosent do jack shit lol

2drSE-i
10-22-2007, 01:36 PM
probly not...

drago742
10-22-2007, 06:03 PM
this sounds like agood idea and it would look preaty cool to

russiankid
10-22-2007, 06:41 PM
Don't forget if you do this you need to put the weather seal on the new support.

labeledsk8r
10-22-2007, 06:53 PM
if your really interested in this i will do a quick sketch of one (nothing fancy just a quick MS paint sketch)

ghettogeddy
10-22-2007, 07:42 PM
if your really interested in this i will do a quick sketch of one (nothing fancy just a quick MS paint sketch)

well lets see what u can come up with the seal wont be a pron i can just transfer the stock one or put a new one on but attach it to the hood

labeledsk8r
10-22-2007, 07:46 PM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/labeledsk8r/radiatorsuportupgrade.jpg

there you go, thats 2 sizes of tubed steal (to save weight) flat steal for the end links and had holder suport all welded up with a nice bead of weld between the smaller and larger tubes of steal. i realize after i loaded it to photobucket that it doesnt have a place for a latch, you can either deleat the latch and go hood pins, or notch into that design add another flat peice of steal like the end links and drill out the 2 holes, only nees to stick out from the suport about 1/4th inch if i can remmeber (havent seen one in person so im going from the top of my head)

ghettogeddy
10-22-2007, 07:49 PM
http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y126/labeledsk8r/radiatorsuportupgrade.jpg

there you go, thats 2 sizes of tubed steal (to save weight) flat steal for the end links and had holder suport all welded up with a nice bead of weld between the smaller and larger tubes of steal. i realize after i loaded it to photobucket that it doesnt have a place for a latch, you can either deleat the latch and go hood pins, or notch into that design add another flat peice of steal like the end links and drill out the 2 holes, only nees to stick out from the suport about 1/4th inch if i can remmeber (havent seen one in person so im going from the top of my head)

well for me im gona be ditching the stock latch anyways and ive actually been thinking of getting rid of the stock hood hinges and doing pins all the way around should save a bit a weight and when im working on it i can take the hood all the way off

labeledsk8r
10-22-2007, 07:53 PM
well for me im gona be ditching the stock latch anyways and ive actually been thinking of getting rid of the stock hood hinges and doing pins all the way around should save a bit a weight and when im working on it i can take the hood all the way off

then i would go with that exact design i have there ( you have to check your own sizes as i cant get mesurements for the steal sizes) but that one should be the best strength with the least amount of weight, just be sure to have nice strong hood pins

Toneloc5145
10-23-2007, 10:16 AM
I'm sure it was designed to be flimsy for a certain reason. Stiffening up the support would change the characteristics of the car during a crash, and would probably do more harm than good. I would just leave it like it is.

MessyHonda
10-23-2007, 10:19 AM
I'm sure it was designed to be flimsy for a certain reason. Stiffening up the support would change the characteristics of the car during a crash, and would probably do more harm than good. I would just leave it like it is.

yeah like the front end has crush points.

2oodoor
10-23-2007, 12:23 PM
I think that these cars predate most of the integral crush point designs. The radiator support design shown here would not affect crush points anyway. Crumple zones are usually ahead of the radiator support and then behind it.

good recognizing the importance of crumple zones though!!

I got my requote on car insurance and out of the three cars 86,96, and 04.. other than having comp on the 04, the 86 is the highest because it does not have SRS or ALB, aint that a hoot.. off topic a bit but full body designed crumple zones and SRS kind of came about the same time. Before that it was just in front of the radiator support, 5 mph bumpers and all that crap.

I was wondering why make the RS so stiff, it would not really improve much if you already use a strut bar. But having a stainless one and just the upper part of the RS would be cool. I see now the reason, you want to make the hood open backwards, that would work nicely.

ghettogeddy
10-23-2007, 12:34 PM
I think that these cars predate most of the integral crush point designs. The radiator support design shown here would not affect crush points anyway. Crumple zones are usually ahead of the radiator support and then behind it.

good recognizing the importance of crumple zones though!!

I got my requote on car insurance and out of the three cars 86,96, and 04.. other than having comp on the 04, the 86 is the highest because it does not have SRS or ALB, aint that a hoot.. off topic a bit but full body designed crumple zones and SRS kind of came about the same time. Before that it was just in front of the radiator support, 5 mph bumpers and all that crap.

I was wondering why make the RS so stiff, it would not really improve much if you already use a strut bar. But having a stainless one and just the upper part of the RS would be cool. I see now the reason, you want to make the hood open backwards, that would work nicely.

no nothing about the hood opening backwards im doing pins at all 4 corners so i can take it off completely but i think it would look cool and never know it might stiffen the front a bit i mean other cars seem to use them and hell it might make it easyer to install smaller rad's

labeledsk8r
10-23-2007, 12:55 PM

i was thinking the same thing, but then drew up the design just to show what one could look like, and really it started getting me thinking about its uses, might be an alternitave for a tower bar for carbed guys, you can also fab them from scratch to fit the fliudine alum rad from the integra, you can also make so the radiator is moved up a few inches into the place of were the a/c condencer was if you have done an a/c delete, plus its look factor, the great thing about a custom part is it doesnt have to be exactly the same as stock so you can get exactly what you want out of it

i still dont think its as needed as some other uprades that could be done for stiffing but it might be usefull in a few situations

2oodoor
10-23-2007, 02:41 PM
hey labeled, bite me.... tow bar for carbed guys..:thumbdn::)

you are missing the best thing about making a stiff rad supt, more room for intercooler.. HELLO

look at johnny o car

lostforawhile
10-23-2007, 02:51 PM
if you want to stiffen up the front,take off the bumper mounts from the body, and make solid mounts. that will make that big piece of steel called an inner bumper into a big tie bar.

labeledsk8r
10-23-2007, 02:56 PM
hey labeled, bite me.... tow bar for carbed guys..:thumbdn::)

you are missing the best thing about making a stiff rad supt, more room for intercooler.. HELLO

look at johnny o car

wtf? i owned a carbed accord myself and its a pain to either get a tower bar to fit or once you fab one you have to remove it every time you wana make adjustments or work on something else i was not trying to say something hatefull. and really im not defending the rad bar, like i said before theres alot better ways to stifen up a car, only reason i would use that bar is for installing a radiator from a difrent car so im not hacking the radiator mounts. and really it doesnt cut out more space , i mean the stock one is small the upgraded would take more space actully lol

**edit** i see why you were mad i miss typed in my before post lol, i said tow bar i ment tower bar lol my bad

lostforawhile
10-23-2007, 02:59 PM
wtf? i owned a carbed accord myself and its a pain to either get a tower bar to fit or once you fab one you have to remove it every time you wana make adjustments or work on something else i was not trying to say something hatefull. and really im not defending the rad bar, like i said before theres alot better ways to stifen up a car, only reason i would use that bar is for installing a radiator from a difrent car so im not hacking the radiator mounts. and really it doesnt cut out more space , i mean the stock one is small the upgraded would take more space actully lolum i think he was kidding. and besides those complex computer controlled new fangled fuel injected contraptions ,probably need a tow bar lots more. score one for the carb bs series army. lol,

labeledsk8r
10-23-2007, 03:02 PM
um i think he was kidding. and besides those complex computer controlled new fangled fuel injected contraptions ,probably need a tow bar lots more. score one for the carb bs series army. lol,

no lol i see what he was talkin about i typoed in my uper post and said tow bar instead of tower bar LOL i went and fixed it lol,,

2oodoor
10-23-2007, 03:16 PM
its all good lableled, I wouldnt talk to you like that for real that is why the smile :)
I see what you mean, but the point of the tower bar is to hold the sheet metal towers from flexing so upper suspension support is consistant and not changing under extreme horizontal motion of the car body. or something to that effect...:lol:

AccordB20A
10-23-2007, 03:44 PM
remember if you are using 4 bonnet pins ur gunna have to use little padlocks in the pins as people like stealing your engine bay things overnight:thumbdn:

ghettogeddy
10-23-2007, 04:22 PM
remember if you are using 4 bonnet pins ur gunna have to use little padlocks in the pins as people like stealing your engine bay things overnight:thumbdn:

yes i will have 4 locking pins

labeledsk8r
10-23-2007, 04:30 PM
its all good lableled, I wouldnt talk to you like that for real that is why the smile :)
I see what you mean, but the point of the tower bar is to hold the sheet metal towers from flexing so upper suspension support is consistant and not changing under extreme horizontal motion of the car body. or something to that effect...:lol:

yeah i know lol, and yeah i agree about the tower bars but you being a carbed car owner agree they are alot more a pain in the ass on carbed cars then EFI ones, just a downfall in staying away from the crowd of efi

MessyHonda
10-23-2007, 11:25 PM
sturt towers dont make much of a diference as sway bars.

Civic Accord Honda
10-24-2007, 12:11 AM
Don't forget if you do this you need to put the weather seal on the new support.

... i dont even think that seal does anything imo lol i have been missing mine for ages

2oodoor
10-24-2007, 03:14 AM
... i dont even think that seal does anything imo lol i have been missing mine for ages

it keeps sand and dust down a bit, under the bonnet
also it can help prevent turbulance from side drafts on the interstate

get a little sample of that, take your windshield out and drive a few couple hundred miles :)