PDA

View Full Version : Engine rebuild kit for $270?

deevergote
10-10-2007, 06:25 AM
http://www.rpmmachine.com/shop/html/Honda-2.0L-1986-1989-BTA20A3-Engine-Rebuild-Kit.html

This Engine kit contains a complete gasket set, pistons and rings, rod bearings main bearings and thrust washers, timing belt if applicable, Intermediate shaft bearings if applicable and a freeze plug kit.

Sounds good, the price is definitely right... I'm looking to rebuild my A20A, but I don't want to throw a ton of money into a stock rebuild!

Any thoughts on that kit?

LX-incredible
10-10-2007, 06:56 AM
It doesn't say, but I assume it's a topline kit. The pistons that come with them are crap. I don't know about the rest of it, but I doubt it's of OEM quality...

deevergote
10-10-2007, 07:03 AM
It doesn't say, but I assume it's a topline kit. The pistons that come with them are crap. I don't know about the rest of it, but I doubt it's of OEM quality...

Yeah, I think it does come with Topline stuff.

Really, I just want to gain some experience rebuilding a motor, and then be able to drive my hatch as a normal car. I'm thinking turbo or H22 down the road, but that won't be for a while... I have to build the H22 in my 4th gen first!

88Accord-DX
10-12-2007, 09:37 PM
I rebuilt my motor with a Top-line rebuild kit. I have no problems with it & have about 7k miles. Aluminum pistons are aluminum pistons, don't listen to to haters.

It's all about the tolerances when you rebuild it & make sure there in specs..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/ddude2uc/A20A1pistonsinstalled.jpg

labeledsk8r
10-12-2007, 09:55 PM
it looks allright to me, i mean your not building the engine for performance corect? you just want a nice fresh milage engine for a DD. i will say though the total is not gona be 270 on parts, you hhave to add i nthe tensioner and so on and so forth, they seem to leave out a few things. but the kit doesnt look bad for a DD car. and hey if the engine breaks after the rebuild, you just get a chance to build the engine again lol

88Accord-DX
10-12-2007, 10:07 PM
That quality rebuild is bored out to .040 with Top-line. Pushing 60 psi. oil pressure on my mechanical pressure gauge. (80 on cold start)

YOU need to make precise measurements on the rod & crankshaft to get good results there. :)

tuxdreamerx
10-14-2007, 09:43 AM
I rebuilt my motor with a Top-line rebuild kit. I have no problems with it & have about 7k miles. Aluminum pistons are aluminum pistons, don't listen to to haters.

It's all about the tolerances when you rebuild it & make sure there in specs..

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/ddude2uc/A20A1pistonsinstalled.jpg

Very true I rebuilt mine with aluminum pistons and also have no problems with about 5k on my engine

deevergote
10-22-2007, 12:17 PM
I just saw all the replies! Thanks guys :D

Yeah, I plan on pulling it apart and measuring carefully first. I'll have to figure out what else needs to be replaced that isn't included (like the tensioner, as you said)

I've never cracked open an engine before, so this will be a good learning experience (and fairly inexpensive, opposed to the H22 build I'm planning!)