PDA

View Full Version : clacking noise from transmission area...

DaveEye
10-10-2007, 04:08 PM
Hi, I have a 5 spd 89 Accord LXi and it recently developed a clacking noise from around the transmission area. I burned out 5th gear and never replaced it and the noise happened sometime after that.

Specifically what happens is that when the car is idling and in neutral with the clutch out, the clacking noise is heard. When I depress the clutch pedal the noise goes away, but I can actually hear the noise wind down and go away. It only takes a few seconds for it to go away. Again, when the clutch is depressed the noise completely goes away.

Also, the clutch works great. I don't know the history on the car, but the clutch is very smooth and does not slip. Pedal play is also good an there are no irregularities in the shifting.

The front end is really noisy on turns in both directions so I'm sure the CV joints are worn.

Since the noise is in neutral, could it be a problem with the drive shafts? That is what I'm hoping for since those need replaced. From some previous posts I saw it could possibly be a bearing in the tranny.

I'm mechanically-inclined, but not very technical on transmission/transaxle stuff, so the more detailed your reply the more helpful it would be. Thank you very much!!!

AccordB20A
10-10-2007, 04:28 PM
How did 5th gear go out? probably should take that end cap off the gearbocks and replace it. its easy and can be done on the car. has the gearbox got any oil in it?? bearings are prolly worn out if your 5th gear died something must be wrong and now its making othr parts die.

DaveEye
10-10-2007, 08:11 PM
How did 5th gear go out? probably should take that end cap off the gearbocks and replace it. its easy and can be done on the car. has the gearbox got any oil in it?? bearings are prolly worn out if your 5th gear died something must be wrong and now its making othr parts die.

I haven't taken off the transmission cover plate to check anything. The fluid level should be fine as once 5th gear quit, I was concerned about fluid levels so I had everything checked and topped off at a Jiffy Lube.

Car shifts fine, no noise coming from tranny during driving. It's just that noise while the car is idling in neutral without the clutch pedal depressed, and the noisy CV joints on turns. Thanks.

nskforlife
11-05-2007, 10:14 PM
ya, id like to know the answer to this question as well. after having lost 5th in my original tranny ( which it somehow got in the way of reverse in the process and 1st was grinding after this - replaced)
and losing 5th in the 2nd tranny in 6 WEEKS.(car lost 5th a couple weeks back AGAIN and the tranny locked up after having a problem down shifting it.

WHAT the hell is wrong with these transmissions.
i know having 2 trannys go out in 6 weeks isn't common at all, but i'd like to know what is going on with them so i can get the third one right, cause if the third tranny goes before i sell the car. i'm taking the pos to the junkyard and scrapping it for come Christmas orniments

AccordB20A
11-05-2007, 11:55 PM
ok well u fucked ur gearbox frm the metal from 5th gear going thru the other gears. it will eventually leave u stranded. Replace the whole gearbox i say. dunno how 5th gear managed to burn itself out. must have had a blockage and no oil getting to the thing or the wrong oil in it/none

AccordEpicenter
11-06-2007, 07:31 AM
ok well u fucked ur gearbox frm the metal from 5th gear going thru the other gears. it will eventually leave u stranded. Replace the whole gearbox i say. dunno how 5th gear managed to burn itself out. must have had a blockage and no oil getting to the thing or the wrong oil in it/none

I bet its the rest of the gearbox getting ready to go, prolly from debris left over from the blown 5th gear, prolly ate up the bearings and gears on the rest of the mainshaft

DaveEye
11-06-2007, 10:53 AM
Well, with the original issue I posted about, I am wondering how the noise could stop when the clutch is depressed if it is debris in the tranny. That clunking noise is actually the sound of something rotating. With the tranny in neutral, would that cause something in the transmission to somehow be connected with something that is spinning as if it is engaged, only to stop spinning once the clutch is depressed?

Thanks.

nskforlife
11-06-2007, 02:49 PM

i just replaced the tranny and put recommended amount of oil in it...
this isn't the first time 5th gear blew out on me..
it started with a humming noise when in 5th,
then the clacking noise,
then 5th went, (in my 1st tranny reverse was blocked by 5th not going)
5th gear was the "new neutral" lol
then first went on in my 1st tranny, in my 2nd tranny i couldn't downshift into 3rd and when it finally got there, i released the clutch to the sound of my tires locking up...