PDA

View Full Version : Rack and Pinion or Rear Ball Joins?

Reptile
10-11-2007, 10:54 AM
Which is the most important to replace and what can happen if they are not replaced?

The mechanic recommended I do the rack and pinion first but I am thinking more of doing the rear ball joints instead then the other. The Ball joints would cost nearly half as much and could be done easily next week. Both will be fixed within three weeks, just trying to figure out which is more critical. The R/P like the mechanic said or the B/J.

ghettogeddy
10-11-2007, 11:02 AM
Which is the most important to replace and what can happen if they are not replaced?

The mechanic recommended I do the rack and pinion first but I am thinking more of doing the rear ball joints instead then the other. The Ball joints would cost nearly half as much and could be done easily next week. Both will be fixed within three weeks, just trying to figure out which is more critical. The R/P like the mechanic said or the B/J.

well your answer is in your question if u have the money to do the r/p now do that then do the b/j's

Reptile
10-11-2007, 11:08 AM
Actually it would be the other way around. Do the ball joins next week then two weeks after that do the rack and pinion. I just paid all my bills this month and I am taped out until I get another 2-3 pay-checks. Just want to know if I should do the rack and pinion in two weeks then the ball joints or fix the ball joints first.

Reptile
10-11-2007, 11:09 AM
BTW, just fixed the headliner last week and the right side half shaft and boot today. That is why Reppy is poor.

AZmike
10-11-2007, 11:18 AM
This question can't be answered without knowing the condition of the parts. I would replace whichever is worse. Is the rack leaking or is there play in the mechanism?

Whiter
10-11-2007, 01:01 PM
my power steering pump and all the hoses were ripped out for parts on another accord so i have manual steering as you would put it, its a nasty bitch to turn but i havnt had any problems. the rack has been grease fitted and packed and isnt leaking.

russiankid
10-11-2007, 01:36 PM
Both are easy. People may say the rack and pinion is a bitch but in my opinion, i did it myself in under 4 hours. What do you have the money for?

Reptile
10-11-2007, 04:52 PM
It is leaking power steering fluid at roughly a bottle every week or two. The only reason I even know it is the rack and pinion is because I took it to the mechanic and gave him the order to look at it and see why it was leaking. It is not dripping out; the fluid just seems to vanish. Probably one drop or so every time I make a sharp turn. The steering seemed slightly loose but is ok now that I got it back from him. He probably tightened everything down so it would work a little better for me until I can get it fixed. The ball joints however have been causing the suspension to send vibrations throughout the vehicle for as long as I have owned it and have know about it needing them for about six months now but have been unable to devote the time and resources to them due to more pressing repairs (like having to replace about 70% of the effing braking system for one, a valve job, full seals and gaskets, and a tune up due to a mechanic lying to me and damaging it just to get us started).

As I mentioned I just paid all my monthly expenses minus food and gas earlier this week, I have like $150 to my name until next Tuesday and this is going to cost me roughly $700-800 to get both problems fixed and then the resulting alignment it will need. I will have enough money and have them fixed within three weeks so it is not like I intend to just let it go for a long time with it being dangerous though I do intent to drive it on the highway back and forth to work which is 30-35 minutes one way.

Hauntd ca3
10-11-2007, 11:42 PM
The rear ball joints can be done in less than an hour for both sides,so that wont cost much if you do it your self.
If you're using that much ps fluid its prob a high pressure side leak.
mine got a pinhole in the hp line and i didnt notice until it sprayed a bit of fluid on the exhaust manifold and i got heaps of smoke from under the hood.
if its one of the hard line at the rack you might not notice any fluid on things coz its getting lost under the car.
if its the seals in the rack it should have fluid leaking out the boots at the end of the rack.
Could just put up without ps until you can afford to fix it.
just have really heavy steering

LX-incredible
10-12-2007, 05:57 AM
Could just put up without ps until you can afford to fix it.
just have really heavy steering That's what I did. Be sure to remove the belt, so you don't toast the pump.

Reptile
10-12-2007, 09:12 AM
Yeah Haunted, except that I am handicapped and cannot work on the car myself. I also lack the tools and knowledge.

russiankid
10-12-2007, 09:22 AM
Yeah Haunted, except that I am handicapped and cannot work on the car myself. I also lack the tools and knowledge.

Replacing the rear ball joints doesn't require any tools except for a socket, extension, and a ratchet, and a ball joint separator( some people use hammers). All there is to it is to remove 2 bolts that hold the arm to the body and remove the nut for the ball joint and just place the new arm in and tighten the ball joint.

You being handicap may get in the way. To what extent are you handicap?

Reptile
10-12-2007, 10:23 AM
Let’s see, where do I start? I cannot be in temp greater than 85 degrees Fahrenheit or else I go into immediate heat exhaustion and heat stroke. I also have a 25lb weight limit and cannot be around any type of strong fumes or smoke. All resulting from multiple chronic and terminal cardiac and respiratory diseases I was born with.

Blkblurr
10-12-2007, 12:23 PM
Are the rear ball joints bad?

bubba g
10-12-2007, 08:17 PM
Reptile, I feel for you on the handicap. I just lost my Dad to a heart attack after he had been out in the sun all day. Don't risk it if you know there's a problem.

But as far as your car goes the ball joints would be my main concern if you can live with the manual steering for a while. The rack isn't going to leave you broke down on the side of the road in the hills of missoura'.

Reptile
10-12-2007, 09:19 PM
Actually as far as I am concerned I can just keep buying a bottle of power steering fluid every week or so for the rest of the month. I cannot handle the manual steering for long and I don't want to burn the pump up trying too so fixing the ball joints then two weeks latter the rack and pinion is probably the way I am going to go. Unless of course you all feel the rack is more important at this time. It badly needs an alignment and that will not happen before the rack and pinion anyway.

POS carb
10-17-2007, 02:24 PM
[QUOTE=Reptile;829209]Which is the most important to replace and what can happen if they are not replaced?[QUOTE]

Take your pick:
Rack and pinion: failure will result in loss of direction in one wheel (rarely both), probably a crash, you can't change the inner tie rods without a special socket but you can swap out a whole rack if you have the time and patience

Rear ball joints:
WHeel will collapse inward and you might fishtail depending on speed etc.
You can change these yourself very easily but you will need a big ass hammer and maybe a torch to get it out.