PDA

View Full Version : This is FAR from a "general engine swap"

Mausberg
10-14-2007, 09:58 AM
I wanna put a GM V6 in my '88 Honda Accord...is it possible? How much yall think it would cost? And can I still keep if manuel? Labeledsk8er is always tellin me how it doesnt take much h/p to move a Honda, so what if I took out the deminushed (I forgot how to spell it) 4 banger, and replaced it with a Vortech 4300 90 degree V6 that based on the standard Chevy 5.7L 350. Stock, it'll put out like 200 h/p and is still light enough to let the Honda keep its prized turning ability. I know im gonna have to reconfigure A LOT of stuff, but I was just wondring...someone give me a possibilty ratio, an estimated price and so on.:D

thegreatdane
10-14-2007, 11:32 AM
$50.000

...it's impossible to give an estimate, noone's done it before. And I imagine an engine like that is fairly long so you would have problems fitting it in the enginebay when you want to keep it FWD. It's just much simpler sticking with something that's already FWD based, and preferrably something out of a Honda.

And not to be an ass, but we all know you're not really going to do it anyway.
But it might be fun imaginning what it would be like.

lostforawhile
10-14-2007, 01:25 PM
accord v6 has been done,how about one of the early legend v6,main thing you would gain is torque.

wasgivenanaccord
10-14-2007, 01:52 PM
Vortec engines are not exactly the smoothest plants around, and are fairly large units - most of the V6's I've seen are in Astro vans and Blazers - all auto applications and all RWD / 4WD setups. A stock Vortech will cost you about $500 from the wreckers - the labour bill is anyone's guess - there are better ways to get to 200hp

MessyHonda
10-14-2007, 02:08 PM
a b18 would be easyer cuz you only need to custom make mounts.

Cheeseburger
10-14-2007, 02:12 PM
i wouldn't waste my time on a Chevy swap for 200hp

Mausberg
10-14-2007, 02:51 PM
Then its settled...I aint doin it.

labeledsk8r
10-14-2007, 02:56 PM
you should go check out andrews (unforgivenpyros) se-i he has a mild N/A set up and it puts down good times, and would be far far far cheeper then that type of swap, not to mention if you got it in you would have to do some type of custom suspention to hold up that heavy ass engine, dont want a snow plow. im sure if you get together with him he will take you for a quick spin to show that just a few mods goes a long way

knarg
10-14-2007, 03:03 PM
go honda swap, b18a, b20a, or b16a if anything. if you want more HP, go big turbo!

2oodoor
10-14-2007, 03:48 PM
from not knowing how to change a rotor to doing a 4.3 sidewinder swap, wow you learn fast !!!:huh:

You are not going to get much more HP for all the trouble. Lots more torque though. If I were to undertake such a quest I would use a GM 3.4 , it is supported by gm performance parts, it is a punched out stroked 2.8. These motors have an awesome sound even with stock mufflers, and the physical diminsions are very small, It would easily fit with gm tranny and custom axles. But I said IF i would undertake that quest.....I would do that before I would do the Acura v6 though... sorry guys...:)

w261w261
10-14-2007, 05:31 PM
While we're at it, why not go for a nice RWD conversion with something like a Porsche flat 6 up front. A nice usable 350 hp, good weight distribution, and you can support some nice mechanic's family for a couple of years.

lostforawhile
10-14-2007, 05:54 PM
oh no lets not start the rear wheel drive accord thing again.

forrest89sei
10-14-2007, 06:21 PM
oh no lets not start the rear wheel drive accord thing again.

Well rather then start that again, Lets all look at it again :P

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45177

lostforawhile
10-14-2007, 07:19 PM
oh i was talking about the shimrick one,the black hole thread that sucked everyone in at one point. strange it seems to have been deleted or edited, there was a rear wheel drive thread by him that caused a huge fight between members here, there were actually two, one caused a huge fight,one didn't,i thought he got banned at some point for the one. probably best that thread vanished.

labeledsk8r
10-15-2007, 01:46 AM
oh i was talking about the shimrick one,the black hole thread that sucked everyone in at one point. strange it seems to have been deleted or edited, there was a rear wheel drive thread by him that caused a huge fight between members here, there were actually two, one caused a huge fight,one didn't,i thought he got banned at some point for the one. probably best that thread vanished.

was that the one with talks about the S2K engine and all that and everyone was fighting over drive shaft problems and such?? if so that was right around the time i joined lol

02GTP
03-05-2008, 04:50 PM
the best and most common thing to do to make something faster would be a small block chevy, lol. ive been thinking bout putting my blown 3.8 in my 3g. that car should be in the low 12's now and trapping just shy of 115 and thats with 3600lbs. if i could put it into a chassis that weighs 800 lbs less, hello 10's.

Ichiban
03-05-2008, 05:08 PM
The only realistic way to do this is to build a chassis from HSS and go rear wheel drive. First off, I understand a few things about GM engines, and you can do better than the 4.3 litre. Like 02gtp said, you could use a buick 3.8 engine, which came in FWD configurations, but the added weight and size would require a total rethink of the front end. FWD would only complicate that. Otherwise, you could build a chassis, run a smallblock, and whatever front end/rear axle combo you want. You also have the aftermarket support of the GM smallblock platform. For a more compact V8 engine, a lot of people are choosing the Ford 302 for converting import cars to american V8 power.

Google "1982 accord pro-street" >> Here someone stuck a smallblock into a 1982 accord hatchback.

2oodoor
12-28-2008, 04:30 PM
LOL, just for you Lost revived

and btw GM 3.4 would be the one, there are pro stock racing parts available with GM factory support. It is a chevy 2.8 stroked.
but yes a 3.8 is a good one but the 3.4 is much more feesable because it is a very compact powerplant.

lostforawhile
12-28-2008, 04:50 PM
OH god not again, I still think the acura v6 has a lot of potential with a change in the induction system. thats a lot more displacement to work with. that would be a nice setup with twin turbo.