PDA

View Full Version : Coolant issues

wasgivenanaccord
10-14-2007, 01:35 PM
Hi
The metal pipe that distributes coolant behind the engine (it's a black metal pipe with about 5 small leads coming off it) is leaking in my car - from what I can gather, the pipe needs to be replaced but the intake seems to be in the way I mean the metal part that says PGMFI or something. The last time we attempted to get this off we got all the rubber hoses off but couldn't find a way pull the metal pipe away. Is there a certain technique or do I have to pull the intake-thing off to get some room?
Alternately I am toying with the idea of cutting the metal pipe and joining it to the new metal pipe (the leak is on the passenger's side of the pipe) using a bit of rubber hose (i reckon it's coolant in there, so the sort of hose from the radiator and several hose clamps. Is that a valid shortcut?
Sorry for the clueless sounding question. tks in advance
shawn

PS - it's the fuel injected engine in an 89 EXi

LX-incredible
10-14-2007, 02:07 PM
There is a 10 mm bolt that attaches it to the block. Once that is removed, it can be pulled out towards the transmission. Be sure to get a new o ring.

wasgivenanaccord
10-14-2007, 02:14 PM
DRAT!!!! The last time the car was in we thought the pipe was rusted to the block - didn't think to look for a wee bolt. Do I need to take the intake thing off or will a little acrobatic manouvering do it?

LX-incredible
10-14-2007, 02:21 PM
I removed mine with the manifold on, but the engine was out of the car... I think the only thing that might get in the way would be the bracket for the dogbone.

wasgivenanaccord
10-14-2007, 02:24 PM
Thanks - gonna try that tuesday when I go to work. My boss hates Accords with a passion (well, he hates 4g's specifically) so a little prior knowledge will help a whole lot when the situation goes balistic :)

LX-incredible
10-14-2007, 02:34 PM
The bracket that supports the underside of the intake manifold may also be in the way... I think that you can get away with just removing the dogbone bracket to get the pipe out.