PDA

View Full Version : Wiring Directly to the Battery

s_EX_i
10-14-2007, 02:54 PM
Hey guys just got a quick question. Iv got a led scanner i recently picked up ( even though I dont have an alarm system) I want to connect it directly to the battery with a simple on off switch and an inline fuse. My question is, what specific inline fuse do i use ( I have no knowledge about fuses), what guage wire should I use. Im assuming 22 guage is good enough for leds. PS i dont want to tap into an existing wire since Im not too comfortable doing that, but still want a do-it myself project hehe.

Help appreciated, thanks guys!

forrest89sei
10-14-2007, 02:55 PM
Hey guys just got a quick question. Iv got a led scanner i recently picked up ( even though I dont have an alarm system) I want to connect it directly to the battery with a simple on off switch and an inline fuse. My question is, what specific inline fuse do i use ( I have no knowledge about fuses), what guage wire should I use. Im assuming 22 guage is good enough for leds. '

Help appreciated, thanks guys!

I think a 15 Amp Blade Type will do you fine along with 22-18 Gauge Wire

s_EX_i
10-14-2007, 02:57 PM
Heheh, awesome thanks for the quick reply!
And should I use aligator clips to connect the wires to the batt terminals or should i just screw them into the existing clamp?

forrest89sei
10-14-2007, 03:03 PM
Heheh, awesome thanks for the quick reply!
And should I use aligator clips to connect the wires to the batt terminals or should i just screw them into the existing clamp?

Just use Screw then into the clamp, they have connectors that are like a washer, so you just undo one of the retaining bolts on the cable, slide it on, and your done.

I'm pretty sure you hook the + directly to the battery and the - to the body

s_EX_i
10-14-2007, 03:11 PM
Yeah? So I shouldnt connect the neg wire to the neg terminal? Cause I took the leds up front and touched the terminals and the led did turn on. So should i connect to chasis and not to neg terminal? What's the difference?

forrest89sei
10-14-2007, 03:19 PM
Yeah? So I shouldnt connect the neg wire to the neg terminal? Cause I took the leds up front and touched the terminals and the led did turn on. So should i connect to chasis and not to neg terminal? What's the difference?

The Chassis is Neg :D

So Just drill a hole in and hold it with a screw, though i think going to the Neg terminal will do the same thing lol

When I Installed my Foglights I did the Positive to the Battery and Neg to the Car

2oodoor
10-14-2007, 03:40 PM
15 amp may be too much, it will work but it may not protect the scanner.
why dont you use a cigarette lighter plug, get the right one and the fuse is built inside it. simple connection.

s_EX_i
10-14-2007, 05:12 PM
15 amp may be too much, it will work but it may not protect the scanner.
why dont you use a cigarette lighter plug, get the right one and the fuse is built inside it. simple connection.

This was my first idea but its so hard to find dese plugs. Can I buy any device with the plug and just cut the wire? The problem is the damn things are expensive. Any idea where I could find just the plugs? Tried Walmart and CanadianTire up here but they dont have them. And whats the chances of the fuse actually tripping?

forrest89sei, thanks! I guess il just clamp it to the neg terminal since its probably less work.

BITESIZE
10-14-2007, 09:06 PM
I'd use a 7.5 fuse personally.

labeledsk8r
10-14-2007, 09:15 PM
This was my first idea but its so hard to find dese plugs. Can I buy any device with the plug and just cut the wire? The problem is the damn things are expensive. Any idea where I could find just the plugs? Tried Walmart and CanadianTire up here but they dont have them. And whats the chances of the fuse actually tripping?

forrest89sei, thanks! I guess il just clamp it to the neg terminal since its probably less work.

you can get the just plugs at places like radio shack, or you can get something from walmart like an extender or spliter and just cut it off, i have a few kicking around here with built in fuses, i will go check to see what they come with stock for a fuse, also on the cig plugs i find it to be a pain, atleast on my car i have to manualy turn of my scaner/radoaar detector since the cig lighter is allways a hot conection, i wanted to do a wired setup but dont wana cut into this wire since it wont be in the car much longer. id def to a solid wire job, looks cleaner and i bet it will be more functional

labeledsk8r
10-14-2007, 09:36 PM
ok i went and checked some stuff, i looked at a standed BELL brand cig plug extender i had lieing around and it had a el cheepo F5A or 5 amp glass fuse. then just to compai i went and got the wire from my radar detector out of my car and checked its fuse.
2A250V on one end and 6G on the other wich i looked that fuse up (just becuse i wanted to know who makes them lol) and got this http://www.electrical-equipment.cn/trade/6g-fuses-11348/ , i would say try out a 5amp fuse doesnt need to be glass or anything but it seems most items that plug into a cig lighter dont go higher then that if it blows a fuse you can upgrade to the 7.5

s_EX_i
10-17-2007, 12:56 PM
Thanks for your help guys. I lucked out, I found a cig plug. Turns out it had a pretty big fuse too, bigger then 5A for sure, i think it might have been a 15A fuse but I cant remember at the momement. But it was a pretty low guage wire so that probably explains it. Any who, I wired it and it looks great :). The scanner is pretty bright, turns allota heads hehehe. I'll try and post some pics later on today.