PDA

View Full Version : 79 hatch front seat swap

BotchedExperiment
10-14-2007, 06:44 PM
Anyone know what seats will swap easily (no welding, no part fabrication) into a 1gee?

I'd like to get a seat with a headrest (for neck protection in case of an accident).

There is a guy around here who is parting out a 2gee sedan. Any chance those front seats swapping?

Thanks,

2ndGenGuy
10-14-2007, 06:58 PM
You can put the 2gee seats in pretty easily. It will require some slight drilling, and you'll have to make some spacers. But I've test fitted my 2g seats into my 1g hatch and it will be an easy mod. It's not bolt in, but no welding necessary. Just drilling and some longer bolts.

I would think that you could put in the seats from an '81 without any fabbing. But I've been proven wrong many times. So many differences year to year just among the 1geez. But the '81 has headrests in the seats.

tomatofiasco
10-15-2007, 03:45 AM
you cant put the '81 seats straight into a <'81 model, i tried though :(.

actually im using it now as my drivers seat. its been "re-upholstered" [found seatcover] and has "sports support" [carpet against the springs]. the tabs on the seat are about 2cm [about 4/17ths of a hogshead-to-the-wheelbarrow] narrower, so i made a couple of extenders from rusty angle iron for the outer chassis mounts, and bolted it all in. the seat is a bit closer to the center line [like a mclaren F1!!] than the original and also tilts a bit in that direction :D

http://www.tow.com/photogallery/2005/20050126_macgyver_dvd/images/fullsize/macgyver_dvd.jpg

2ndGenGuy
10-15-2007, 10:04 AM
you cant put the '81 seats straight into a <'81 model, i tried though :(.

actually im using it now as my drivers seat. its been "re-upholstered" [found seatcover] and has "sports support" [carpet against the springs]. the tabs on the seat are about 2cm [about 4/17ths of a hogshead-to-the-wheelbarrow] narrower, so i made a couple of extenders from rusty angle iron for the outer chassis mounts, and bolted it all in. the seat is a bit closer to the center line [like a mclaren F1!!] than the original and also tilts a bit in that direction :D

Yeah, once again proven wrong by Honda's minor little tweaks and fine tuning. But is this not what makes every new Honda so great year by year? Constant improvement?!

79cord
10-15-2007, 01:29 PM
"you can't put the '81 seats straight into a <'81 model,"

They made the crossmember under the frt of the frt seats deeper when they re-did the trans-tunnel/ shift mount for '81 didn't they? Guess they made the tunnel so much bigger everything was forced away.
I'd noticed they also re-did the inboard seat belt mountings.

All Accords came with headrests, although some were height adjustable & others weren't, & are rather low!

Noticed Honda also added little bumps above above the rake adjustment mechanism/lever of '81 so you wouldn't be as likely to catch your seatbelt in it.

I'm on the lookout for early Integra seats in tan myself, though think I might have been offered some CR-X seats I'll probably get even if I don't use them.